lung discomfort

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pinenutz1

lung discomfort

Post by pinenutz1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:08 pm

I seem to be feeling some discomfort in my lungs after sleeping all night with my CPAP on.
Has anyone else experienced this?

BlackSpinner

Re: lung discomfort

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:12 pm

You chest muscles are working harder to exhale - nothing to do with your lungs. Just like any muscle that has to worker harder it complains.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:14 pm

I've seen this complaint reported before. As your body becomes adjusted to your therapy it should diminish. It would help if you filled out your profile and listed the pressure or pressure range you're using.

InsomniacGuy

Post by InsomniacGuy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:37 pm

I'm new at this still, but the first time I rinsed the humidifier tub and hose with a diluted vinegar solution, I felt my lungs were irritated the next few nights of use. Now, after I pour out the vinegar solution, I soak in filtered water and also do a final agitation and rinse in a little distilled water.

Also, I found my lungs were irritated when the humidifier was set higher. I've since backed it down to a low setting.

Punchyandtired

Post by Punchyandtired » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:38 pm

I think im having the same issue. I feel weird in my chest area. My neck and shoulders are sore too, but i dont know if that is related. Been on cpap since Dec 19
45 year old female
First AHI: 33.6 (including 2 desats less than 70%)
Pressure setting: min 13 max 20. 95% pressure has been around 15-16.
Trying to like the resmed p10 air pillows and headgear
Started therapy December 19, 2014

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:03 pm

I was having pain in my lungs last week. Also a sudden drop in the pressures my machine was choosing to deliver. Went to my pulmonologist - turns out that my asthma, from another galaxy a long, long time ago, had resurfaced (for reasons probably unrelated to xpap therapy, like the ridonkulous winter cold we've been having) and had significantly inflamed my lungs (less air coming out, less pressure going in! ). So if you have a history of asthma, you might check into that also.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:34 pm

Darth Lady wrote:Ilike the ridonkulous winter cold we've been having)
please send some down this way:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Darth Lady

Post by Darth Lady » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:39 pm

I'll trade happily. Unfortunately, where I am, we got the cold, but not the snow. 30" predicted, 6" achieved Now, more cold with no snow = no fun.

Macpage

Post by Macpage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:43 pm

pinenutz1 wrote:I seem to be feeling some discomfort in my lungs after sleeping all night with my CPAP on.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, it happened to me. Mostly in the first 4 days. I had some minor weird breathing sensations for about 3 weeks. It's part of the adjustment and very common.

Of course, any shortness of breath or significant or persisting pain should be reported to your medical team.

Best,

Mike

pinenutz1

Post by pinenutz1 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:57 pm

Thanks all! I will check my pressures. I have been on CPAP for about 9 weeks and have been noticing the discomfort for about 2 weeks. It seems to lessen after I've been up for 2-3 hours.

KyGolfer

Post by KyGolfer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:15 pm

Pinenutz1, I've been having an issue with discomfort starting in my middle to upper back and radiating around to the front of my chest. This only happens after 4 to 6 hours of sleep. I either get up and move around, or more recently, I prop pillows against my headboard so I sleep sitting straight up. When I do get up in the morning, a hot shower and moving around, it goes away in about an hour. I thought it was muscle spasms. Can't put my finger on a cause. Have seen other people on other sites complain about this too. No remedies though. Been using my machine since July of 2014. If you are having same symptoms, good luck. I have found no answers yet.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:20 am

Don't forget that us apneacs are susceptible to all the same medical problems that happen to normal people.

While CPAP make make your chest sore, especially for newbies, it could be other medical conditions as well. Don't let CPAP blindness keep you from getting proper treatment for other conditions. Even doctors get CPAP blindness sometimes.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.