My cholestrol has gone through the roof

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SnoresLikeWalrus

Re: My cholestrol has gone through the roof

Post by SnoresLikeWalrus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Also, what is your blood pressure?

Do you have an idea how much salt you eat? (do you eat lots of prepared foods, restaurant foods, canned foods, etc.)?

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:09 pm

SnoresLikeWalrus wrote:* Doing plenty of exercise (check with your doctor)
* Eating plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, oats, good quality fats
* Avoiding foods with saturated fats
* Getting plenty of sleep (8 hours each night)
* Bringing your bodyweight back to normal
* Avoiding alcohol
* Stopping smoking

YES YES YES YES YES

AND YES YES YES YES

And some people have a genetic tendency toward low HDL and high tris, which has NOTHING to do with "high carb eating." I'm not going to argue about it though.

Once you are doing all the above and have your weight within a normal BMI, or as close to it as you can get, see what your #s are.

Statin therapy with the right one is not such a bad thing, but it works mainly on LDL. Statins are also antiinflammatory. Some can't tolerate them, but most can.

If you are very overweight, eat lots of saturated fat and transfats, eat refined carbs, eat lots of meat, don't exercise, smoke, drink, etc., you can't tell what your "real" numbers are because you are not in a "healthy" condition.

Lifestyle first. Healthy fats, yes! whole foods, veges, fruits, yes. Feel free to PM me for support.

You can change those numbers.
Well good luck with that conventional approach uncle, you shall have great need for it with those "tried and true (not so much)" claims.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:Is their any evidence that sleep apnea or CPAP treatment can adversely impact cholesterol levels?
It's the S9 algorithm.

"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

SnoresLikeWalrus

Post by SnoresLikeWalrus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm not arguing "low carb" diet etc.

"Conventional" approach has worked pretty well for me.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm

SnoresLikeWalrus wrote:Also, what is your blood pressure?

Do you have an idea how much salt you eat? (do you eat lots of prepared foods, restaurant foods, canned foods, etc.)?
Normal blood pressure,

Ah salt On everything mostly, plus i snack on planters cocktail peanuts all day long ...

We dine out only once a week and do not eat too much canned food.

SnoresLikeWalrus

Post by SnoresLikeWalrus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 pm

Maybe I missed it, but did you post your weight?

Too much salt is not messing with your lipids but it can make your heart work harder and it has a lot of other negative effects.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

SnoresLikeWalrus wrote:Maybe I missed it, but did you post your weight?

Too much salt is not messing with your lipids but it can make your heart work harder and it has a lot of other negative effects.
215lbs. According to the recommendations i should be in the 170s

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi Bob,

As someone already mentioned . . . it would be good to have your thyroid hormones checked (especially TSH and Free T3). When I became hypothyroid, my cholesterol shot way up. That may or may not be your situation. (I already had high cholesterol, but when I became hypothyroid it skyrocketed. With my thyroid controlled, I still take something for my cholesterol since it was elevated to begin with.)

Yes, the statins do the trick for lowering LDH and total cholesterol . . . but BE SURE TO TAKE about 100mg of a good Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ10) supplement if you go on a statin. (Your doctor may or may not be aware of this). Statins deplete the body of this enzyme that is so important for the cells to produce energy for bodily functions in general, but is particularly important forheart health.

From my career with a pharmaceutical company, my degree in Nutrition, and personal experience with lowering my LDL . . . I can tell you that I feel much more comfortable taking Solaray's Red Yeast Rice 600mg twice daily (1200mg total daily dose), than I do a prescription statin. You can buy Solaray's product online - just be sure it is Solaray's product. It was more effective for me that the prescription statins, and with no side effects. It is actually a "natural" form of lovastatin. You will also need to take 100mg a day of a high quality CoQ10 for the same reasons I mentioned above. My recommendation would be Life Extension Foundation's "Super CoQ10" (Ubiquinol) 100mg. It's a bit pricey, but worth it since it will keep your levels normal while on a statin, but also since it has a protective effect on the heart anyway (especially as you age).

You can buy both high quality products from the IHerb website, a good company to deal with:

http://www.iherb.com/Solaray-Red-Yeast- ... 18983?at=0 (a two-month supply)

http://www.iherb.com/Super-Ubiquinol-Co ... /9222?at=0 (also a two-month supply)

Hope this helps

Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

SnoresLikeWalrus

Post by SnoresLikeWalrus » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:59 pm

Lots of red yeast rice formulations have been tested and the actual level of active "stuff" has been found to be lacking in much of it. None of that stuff is certified or regulated in any way. FDA doesn't test it. Who does? You have no idea what is or is not in it.

I can find the articles about that if you are interested.

From what I can tell, you need to lose weight and evaluate your diet, including fats, carbs, alcohol, sugar, and salt intake. Talk to your doctor. Sounds like you are good in the exercise department. Yes, make sure you get your thyroid levels checked. You probably will end up on a statin because of family history and such but that's not the end of the world by any means. You still have to do the life style stuff. If I can be of any support to you, please PM me.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:27 pm

My heart doc's ears have been turning red if my LDL not below 75.

Jerry

I still play Cowboys and Bad Guys but now I use real bullets. CAS

rosiefrosie

Post by rosiefrosie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:03 pm

I take Crestor for high cholesterol. When first diagnosised with high cholesterol I started a low fat, low carb diet and daily exercise and lost about 20 pounds. When I had a recheck on my cholesterol 6 months later it was higher than the first time, so I was started on a statin drug. It is in my genes. I have a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease. With the Crestor and continued daily exercise and watching what I eat all my lab values ie: LDH, HDL, Triglycerides and total cholesterol are within normal limits. I also believe that cpap therapy has helped to lower my cholesterol.

rosie

Snorkler

Post by Snorkler » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote: I think my diet is ok although i have 2 eggs for breakfast most mornings.
Riding your bicycle is good for lowering your cholesterol, but you should cut back on the eggs, cheese and dairy products in general to reduce your cholesterol. I prefer eggs, but I usually have a bowl of oatmeal (0 cholesterol) or a bowl of cerial with skim milk (low chol.) for breakfast in order to keep my cholesterol in check.

A couple of years ago my overall cholesterol count was 237. By cutting way back on eggs, butter, milk and dairy products I was able to get mu count down to just under 200.

JoyD.

Post by JoyD. » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:57 pm

SnoresLikeWalrus writes:
Lots of red yeast rice formulations have been tested and the actual level of active "stuff" has been found to be lacking in much of it. None of that stuff is certified or regulated in any way. FDA doesn't test it. Who does? You have no idea what is or is not in it. I can find the articles about that if you are interested.
You are right, Snores, that MANY nutritional supplements out there have not been properly tested and assayed. And many do not contain the active ingredients or quantities they claim. It is difficult for the average person to know which supplements are reliable and which are not. As a general rule, if you buy your supplements at a health food store, you will find higher quality products and companies than you will find at a grocery store or pharmacy.

Let me assure you that there ARE supplement manufacturers who DO perform extensive testing OFTEN SURPASSING what is required by pharmaceutical companies OR the FDA! I know this, having had a 20-year career with one of the top pharmaceutical companies in the world, and later having become a State-certified Nutritionist who carefully researched products before I recommended them to my clients. Two of these supplement companies that offer superior quality control and formulations (and can be found on the Internet) are: Life Extension Foundation and Metagenics (both frequently recommended by physicians). There are others as well.

The Red Yeast product I recommended by Solaray DOES contain 600mg of the active "naturally occurring lovastatin”, and can be relied upon. That is why I specifically recommended that brand. Many red yeast rice products are not to be trusted - and that is why I emphasized looking for the Solaray product. I always do my homework before going on any supplement (or pharmaceutical!). By the way, my personal results using Solaray's 600mg RYR twice daily have been most impressive to both me and my Integrative Physician, and have continued to be consistent in keeping my LDL lower than it has ever been before (even while on prescription statins).

Joy

Additional Comments: CPAP Pr 14.0; EPR:3 Full; Heated Hose; 1" NexCare Low Trauma Tape; PurSleep Buckwheat Hull Pillow; Caldera Releaf Collar.
Other Accessories & Software: Wellue O2 Ring; OSCAR; SleepHQ Pro.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Snorkler wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote: I think my diet is ok although i have 2 eggs for breakfast most mornings.
Riding your bicycle is good for lowering your cholesterol, but you should cut back on the eggs, cheese and dairy products in general to reduce your cholesterol. I prefer eggs, but I usually have a bowl of oatmeal (0 cholesterol) or a bowl of cerial with skim milk (low chol.) for breakfast in order to keep my cholesterol in check.
Eggs have been put back on the menu years ago. They help the good cholesterol.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:20 am

I just got back from the doctors, we went over my lifestyle, diet and exercise etc and he said I'm doing great
He said he normally writes an Rx for lipitor when he sees the levels I have but instead he agreed to a re-test in 7 days to rule out lab errors and then go from there.