What tape do you use and why?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
momof2inmn

What tape do you use and why?

Post by momof2inmn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:38 pm

I've recently begun to tape my mouth and was wondering what others used. I've tried the blue painter's tape but that gets too wet and falls off. I tried to find Hypafix medical tape and 3M Micropore tape but didn't get a chance to stop anywhere besides Walmart and they didn't carry either one so I had to get paper tape instead. That has worked for me for the last two nights but even though it is listed as "pain-free" it still kind of hurts to remove. Based on how it feels now I think that once I've used it for a few more days it will be more painful for me.

What have you used? Is there something you use to help take it off that makes it less painful? Has anyone used Paper Tape and found a less painful way to remove it?

Any suggestions? I've tried chin straps and they don't work for me. I also have the Pap Cap but I get headaches from it (really from anything that pushes by my ears or back of my head) and can't use it.

Thanks!

rosiefrosie

Re: What tape do you use and why?

Post by rosiefrosie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:54 pm

I use gentle paper tape, but have learned to press very lightly when putting it on. I use one strip across my mouth with the edges folded over for easy removal. I found that if I pressed it on too hard, it is hard to remove and at times it took some skin with it. I think you will need to search around for the right tape for you. I also sweated the painters tape off and can't use it, usually ended up on my chin.

rosie

LoQ

Post by LoQ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:02 pm

momof2inmn wrote:Has anyone used Paper Tape and found a less painful way to remove it?
Yeah, me. I use the paper tape, although I don't tape my mouth shut because I use a full face mask. I use the tape to hold my lower jaw up in lieu of a chinstrap. Anyway, I put a coat of Milk of Magnesia on my face where I'm going to put the tape and let it dry. Then I apply the tape. If the MoM is not quite dry, I hold the tape on until it "grabs hold" but it's better to wait, if you can, for the MoM to dry.

Other tip, be sure to turn down the edge of the tape back on itself so that you have a little tab to grab when you want to remove it.
momof2inmn wrote:Based on how it feels now I think that once I've used it for a few more days it will be more painful for me.
Yep. It's only going to get work.

If you decide to try the painter's tape again, get the 2" stuff for delicate surfaces. When you apply it or any other tape, be sure to suck your lips in between your teeth hard, then relax your lips after the tape is applied. That will help you to get a better seal and the tape won't get so wet. I still sweat a little under the painter's tape, but sucking your lips in will help a lot.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:34 am

Why not use a full face mask and forget the tape?

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

echo

Post by echo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:07 am

I have used the 3m tape but it still hurts to take off unless i use something in the morning to remove... An alternative to the MoM is baby oil or make up remover (applied in the morning).

I agree with Roster, sometimes that's the better option. I've also gone the FFM route after 3 years of taping. It's easier, prevents chipmunk cheeks, and I personally sleep better with the FFM than with tape+nasal mask.
PR System One APAP, 10cm
Activa nasal mask + mouth taping w/ 3M micropore tape + Pap-cap + PADACHEEK + Pur-sleep
Hosehead since 31 July 2007, yippie!

Tielman

Post by Tielman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 am

roster wrote:Why not use a full face mask and forget the tape?
For me, it's an easy choice:

Bloody nose bridge and forehead/face indentations for 1/2 a day
-vs-
No pain, no indentations, no discomfort

M.D.Hosehead

Post by M.D.Hosehead » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:25 am

didn't get a chance to stop anywhere besides Walmart and they didn't carry either one
The 3M tape may be sold under the trade name "Nexcare". You have the read the Nexcare packaging closely for a statement something like "Hospital Name: Micropore".

I found both 3M Micropore paper-based tape and 3M Transpore plastic-based tape at Walgreens under the trade name Nexcare.

I wondered whether Transpore might be more moisture-resistant, and I'm in the process of trying both.

Of course you can get either one onlline, for example at Amazon.

guest also

Post by guest also » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 am

I successfully use Johnson&Johnson heavy duty cloth tape. Works for me. One small vertical strip to encourage the mouth to stay closed. Tag on the bottom, top under the Breeze plenum.

roster

Post by roster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 am

Tielman wrote:

-vs-

The Hybrid mask solves both of those problems without tape.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:36 pm

1-1/2" blue painter's tape cut in a truncated 'v' ( \_/) works most of the time for me;
With micropore, I have to weaken the adhesive by sticking it on my hand and peeling it off 2 or 3 times.
Otherwise, it is too painful to remove.

Gerald

Post by Gerald » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Momo....

After experimentation, I find that 2" wide Blue #2080 Delicate Release 3M painter's tape is the best.

G

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Tielman wrote:

-vs-

You have got to be kidding me?
I have a Mirage Quattro and love it. No issues with the bridge of my nose as it has a forehead brace. No face indentations as it is soft plastic and 'inflates' with the airflow. Very comfortable with reasonably low leakage most of the time and excellent results.

And I can tear it off in a fraction of a second which is important to me as I have had a friend whose mouth was taped during a robbery and died as a result. He vomited spontaneously and aspirated his vomit. Dead. Everyone else was fine.

We saw a light plane crash yesterday at our Soaring Club. The plane cartwheeled, taking off the fuselage, tail section, smashing the canopy to smithereens and landing face down in a drainage ditch that was filled with mud from rain the night before. Our two acquaintances from the club both survived thus far with nothing more (so far) than broken bones but were airlifted to hospital. It served yet again as a reminder that life is fleeting and if you are going to wear a full face mask or especially if you are going to tape your mouth closed, please, just make sure you can tear it all off and get your mouth open in a fraction of a second. Please. Read my sig.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.

Tielman

Post by Tielman » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:53 pm

torontoCPAPguy wrote:It served yet again as a reminder that life is fleeting and if you are going to wear a full face mask or especially if you are going to tape your mouth closed, please, just make sure you can tear it all off and get your mouth open in a fraction of a second. Please. Read my sig.
Oh, did I mention that my DME sent me the wrong mask, won't swap it, and I now have to wait 3 months to get a FFM, or pay out of pocket. My nose bride and other issues were with my ResMed nasal mask. I don't have a spare $200+ for a new FFM.

I find your discussion about mouth tape closing very odd. There are many folks that use masks on a DAILY basis (fire fighters, painters, pilots, etc) that can not be taken off in a "fraction of a second", and you can die with them on for many reasons, including vomiting, and are fully OHSA approved. Your example is like saying: Scuba divers drown, so don't scuba dive (oh, and could you vomit there?)

I agree that we need to be very careful when it comes to breathing.

torontoCPAPguy

Post by torontoCPAPguy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Tielman wrote:
torontoCPAPguy wrote:It served yet again as a reminder that life is fleeting and if you are going to wear a full face mask or especially if you are going to tape your mouth closed, please, just make sure you can tear it all off and get your mouth open in a fraction of a second. Please. Read my sig.
Oh, did I mention that my DME sent me the wrong mask, won't swap it, and I now have to wait 3 months to get a FFM, or pay out of pocket. My nose bride and other issues were with my ResMed nasal mask. I don't have a spare $200+ for a new FFM.

I find your discussion about mouth tape closing very odd. There are many folks that use masks on a DAILY basis (fire fighters, painters, pilots, etc) that can not be taken off in a "fraction of a second", and you can die with them on for many reasons, including vomiting, and are fully OHSA approved. Your example is like saying: Scuba divers drown, so don't scuba dive (oh, and could you vomit there?)

I agree that we need to be very careful when it comes to breathing.
OK.

Fall colours. One of God's gifts. Life is fragile and short, savour every moment no matter what your problems may be. These stunning fall colours from my first outing after surviving a month on life support due to H1N1.