Went to Get my New APAP Today

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Boston Guy

Went to Get my New APAP Today

Post by Boston Guy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:36 pm

I went to the local distributor to pick up my new APAP machine. As I assumed, they tried to give me the s8 autoset 2 or whatever it is called. I explained to them how I would rather have the S9 seeing as how insurance will only replace a machine about every 8 years, and I would like to have the cutting edge as of now. She semi understood, trying to say that the s8 and the s9 are the same machine the s9 is just the s8 with all the kinks worked out. She compared it to a new car and how the newer version would have a different look and a different design but still do the same thing. She absolutely sounded like she was about as informed with these products as someone who had just read the catalog. I then stated that from what I have read online people tend to see a lot more user oriented features with the S9, making it a better machine to keep track of your own sleep data. She said that the sleep data is only for the doctors to read and not for the user, I should not be critiquing my own settings and there is no way of viewing your nightly sleep data on a computer screen or program of some sort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear I've read things about users being able to take the data card out of the s9 and s8 and be able to view it somehow on their computer. Even if I'm wrong on that notion, I know I've heard of users being able to go into their machines and change settings (pressure, run settings, etc..) as they see fit. Maybe this ability it technically not suppose to be available to the users. But if is being talked about all over the internet you think these so called "experts," would wake up and acknowledge that this feature is possible.

Could somebody please explain to me, without telling me to read the prior posts, is there a difference between the s8/s9- user friendly wise/self monitoring wise?

So I agreed to wait as long as 4 weeks for when they will actually carry the S9 and upgrade to the machine then. I guess they have some new satelite monitoring system which the insurance company now goes through to make sure people are actually using their cpap's. And they need to make sure the software works with the S9 before giving it out.

Uncle_Bob

Re: Went to Get my New APAP Today

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:03 pm

There is a difference between an S8 and an S9. The S9 was a complete redesign from the ground up, the new car analogy is a poor one.

Its all in the resmed documentation which maybe you should print out and show her Its a new blower, new algorithm new humidification system etc

And how dare she tell you what you should or should not be doing. She can advise but not tell you what you can or can not do with respect to YOUR health care.

Good for you for insisting on what you want.
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:04 pm

Boston Guy wrote:I went to the local distributor to pick up my new APAP machine. As I assumed, they tried to give me the s8 autoset 2 or whatever it is called. I explained to them how I would rather have the S9 seeing as how insurance will only replace a machine about every 8 years, and I would like to have the cutting edge as of now. She semi understood, trying to say that the s8 and the s9 are the same machine the s9 is just the s8 with all the kinks worked out. She compared it to a new car and how the newer version would have a different look and a different design but still do the same thing. She absolutely sounded like she was about as informed with these products as someone who had just read the catalog. I then stated that from what I have read online people tend to see a lot more user oriented features with the S9, making it a better machine to keep track of your own sleep data. She said that the sleep data is only for the doctors to read and not for the user, I should not be critiquing my own settings and there is no way of viewing your nightly sleep data on a computer screen or program of some sort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear I've read things about users being able to take the data card out of the s9 and s8 and be able to view it somehow on their computer. Even if I'm wrong on that notion, I know I've heard of users being able to go into their machines and change settings (pressure, run settings, etc..) as they see fit. Maybe this ability it technically not suppose to be available to the users. But if is being talked about all over the internet you think these so called "experts," would wake up and acknowledge that this feature is possible.

Could somebody please explain to me, without telling me to read the prior posts, is there a difference between the s8/s9- user friendly wise/self monitoring wise?

So I agreed to wait as long as 4 weeks for when they will actually carry the S9 and upgrade to the machine then. I guess they have some new satelite monitoring system which the insurance company now goes through to make sure people are actually using their cpap's. And they need to make sure the software works with the S9 before giving it out.
You may be dealing with liars or stupidity (or ignorance).
You're not wrong. ResMed has been trying to protect their "customers" (the DMEs) by restricting access to the software, however it can still be purchased from a source in Australia. The DMEs typically feed the users these lines of BS about not changing settings and monitoring their therapy. On one hand, for them it's kind of a CYA thing, but in reality they can't actually tell you that because it would be like telling someone with diabetes that they can't monitor their blood sugar. At least Philips/Respironics has the Encore Viewer software for the patients to use.

Have you checked with your insurance provider about that satellite monitoring compliance thing? That and the wait time suggests to me that they may try to wait you out on providing you with the S9. Personally, I would NEVER allow them to put a monitoring device on my CPAP. If you have the software, you could send them the reports by e-mail and save trips to their office and not have to worry about "Big Brother" looking over your shoulder.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

carbonman

Post by carbonman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Boston Guy wrote: She semi understood, trying to say that the s8 and the s9 are the same machine the s9 is just the s8 with all the kinks worked out. She compared it to a new car and how the newer version would have a different look and a different design but still do the same thing.
WOW....they fed you the entire crock of the
familiar brown substance.

Keep reading.
Keep asking questions.

I'm w/Wulfman.....I will never have a
"monitoring device" attached to my pap machine.

I'm in charge, thank you!
"If your therapy is improving your health but you're not doing anything
to see or feel those changes, you'll never know what you're capable of."
I said that.

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:12 pm

A couple of comments/suggestions:

1. I don't know how serious your OSA is but why wait 4 wks? Get a 'loaner' to get started therapy and make the switch to S9 when stock arrives. I'm assuming your insurance provider will agree to this.

2. The differences btw S8 and S9 is simple:
i. S8 requires proprietary ResScan smart card and either a ResScan card reader or usb adapter. The S9 does not so you save some bucks here.
ii. S8 can use ResMed 3.7 software whereas S9 requires ResMed 3.10 software - both require a fellow hosehead giving you the secret handshake to access it FOC. Used to be available on-line for sale but both the software and card reader/usb adapter are not being sold anymore.

And even w/out the above, you can still read basic data results on a daily machine directly off the machine.

3. You mention read this here and there; keep reading if you want to use the software, it's good for you

brazospearl

Post by brazospearl » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:17 pm

BostonGuy, sadly, your situation is pretty typical. There's nothing wrong with the S8's but if it's not what you want it's not what you want. And the S9 certainly IS NOT the same machine. She is also incorrect in the statement that the data is only for doctors. Nobody would ever say that kind of thing to a person with diabetes about monitoring their blood sugar, but DME's (and doctors!) tell people with OSA that all the time. So now you know the level of expertise at that establishment. Is that the only possible place to get what you need? I second Wulfman's statement about not having a "monitoring device" on your machine...sheesh!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:19 pm

As listed at the bottom of the page of this forum:
"The information provided on this site is not intended nor recommended as a substitute for professional medical advice."
--however, it may be more useful and accurate, depending on the 'professional' referenced.

Boston Guy

Post by Boston Guy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't mind the satellite monitoring device, seeing that the company's will contact you via phone and tell you if they see any leaks, apneas, or other issues over the initial ten month period. After ten months it's an option to sign up for the service or let it cancel itself out.

I don't like the idea of big brother at all trust me. I am as big of hater as they come, when it comes to "keeping an eye on civilians." But this is to help me I feel, and it's the insurance company's answer to all the machines their paying for and are only getting used for a few nights then getting thrown in a closet to never be seen again.

She assured me the S9 would be available in 2-4 weeks and she is calling me Monday to let me know for sure. Even though I did get the half ass answer on the features of the device, I didn't feel I got the run around on the S9 being available to me soon.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:41 pm

Boston Guy wrote:I don't mind the satellite monitoring device, seeing that the company's will contact you via phone and tell you if they see any leaks, apneas, or other issues over the initial ten month period. After ten months it's an option to sign up for the service or let it cancel itself out.

I don't like the idea of big brother at all trust me. I am as big of hater as they come, when it comes to "keeping an eye on civilians." But this is to help me I feel, and it's the insurance company's answer to all the machines their paying for and are only getting used for a few nights then getting thrown in a closet to never be seen again.

She assured me the S9 would be available in 2-4 weeks and she is calling me Monday to let me know for sure. Even though I did get the half ass answer on the features of the device, I didn't feel I got the run around on the S9 being available to me soon.
If the insurance are insisting on it then there is no choice. But someone did send you a link to the software and manuals for the S9 so you can completely monitor your own therapy (at the same time) and not have to rely on just the DMEs responses. Also all the features of the S9 are detailed in the manuals.

If big brother can keep and eye on your therapy then so can you right?

It has been my experience that using the software to monitor my therapy and posting charts and questions here is the fastest track way of dealing with any issues. There are many very experienced and very helpful people here. You also have the ability to print out a detailed report and take to you sleep doctor and ask him/her questions if you so wish.

unadog

Post by unadog » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:11 pm

Boston Guy wrote:I don't mind the satellite monitoring device, seeing that the company's will contact you via phone and tell you if they see any leaks, apneas, or other issues over the initial ten month period. After ten months it's an option to sign up for the service or let it cancel itself out..
That is possible. More likely, they are only going to check "compliance" data. How many nights did you use the machine for more than 4 hours?

That is the only data they care about, and in some cases the only data they know about, 99% of the time.
VPAP ASV: BiPaP ASV: Quattro FF: Activa LT: Swift FX

PetrusKy

Post by PetrusKy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:21 pm

Boston Guy wrote:She semi understood, trying to say that the s8 and the s9 are the same machine the s9 is just the s8 with all the kinks worked out.
Tell her: "If it's all the same, I'd like to have the machine with all the kinks worked out, thank you very much!"

I have both the S9 and S8 II and would get the S9 because:
. It uses a regular SD card that can be read by any computer with a card reader. The S8 uses a proprietary smart card that requires a special card reader that can only be bought from Australia for $150 or so.- LAME!!!
. You can use the Climate hose with the H4i humidifier to prevent rainout.

You can download ResScan 3.11 software for free to monitor your progress (just ask for a PM). You can also download the Clinician guide and learn how to adjust your own settings.

elena88

Post by elena88 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:45 pm

I have an s9.. started with a system one a flex auto..traded it in before thirty days were up, asked for an s9.

The hospital did not have the software to download my data when I come in, that was a little hurdle, so I told the doc I would figure it out.
She said, great, take the machine, you be in charge of all the data downloads!

So, she is the doctor, and she is having me download the data, print it, and bring it to her..

There goes the argument that its ONLY For doctors to read or monitor..

My machine has a little sd card, I can stick it in my comptuer every morning and see what the heck happened the night before..
I promise YOU, nobody is going to do that for you but YOU! They will check stats and summarys, and compliance..

but you get to be in charge day to day if you download it yourself, and Im a computer idiot, and I got the help HEREfrom some very
special folks, to figure it out...
so you can too..

I wouldnt know I was having a big leak problem if I didnt download my data every day.

good, wait for your s9, you will be so glad you got a data capabale machine, and the software is "EASY" to get for that machine..

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:12 pm

CAREFUL! Given the "stories" you've been fed so far by this company you may be stuck w/that entry level, compliance data capable only Resmed S8 Escape once you have had it for 30 days!!!! Its darn hard to force an exchange once they've got that 30 days under your wings. At 30 days they send the billing in listing the Serial Number of your HCPCS code e0601 and you are stuck w/it.

Frankly, since the S9 is so new, and there is only the S9 Elite and S9 Auto, the old S8 and S8 II Elites and AutoSets look pretty good. They are tried and proven, durable, sturdy ..... but this DME provider is trying to pawn off the lowest of the low Resmed on you, the Escape.

I'd call my insurance, ask them what local DME CPAP providers they are contracted with and hope like h*ll you have the option of more than this one. Then I'd start shopping my other local DME provider options for one that is a little more truthful and that will provide the fully data capable CPAP you want and has a lenient mask exchange policy. But you only have 30 days to do so.

I would ONLY accept this S8 Escape II from them if they would give me a statement IN WRITING that they will exchange it for and provide the Resmed S8 Elite to me w/in 60 days.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:17 pm

PetrusKy wrote: You can download ResScan 3.11 software for free to monitor your progress (just ask for a PM). You can also download the Clinician guide and learn how to adjust your own settings.
He already has a PM
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klgm326

Post by klgm326 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:23 pm

I'm very lucky in that my doc prescribed the S9 Elite. However, the "Big Brother" question is a reality in insurance land. As another colleague here stated, it is to assure the insurance company that they are not paying for a device that is collecting dust. My company will request the SD each month and send me a new one. I didn't ask any questions since I knew from you guys that I could "read" my data from home.
Best of luck and as the others have said, you may want to ask your insurance what other companies you can work with.