CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: CHEATING ON A SLEEP STUDY

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:40 pm

palerider wrote:
ChicagoGranny wrote:
D.H. wrote:In reading through the posts, it appears that you're a pilot (though I didn't find an actual statement of that).
Duh.Huh.
The reason I do not want to take it because of what I want to do, become a pilot. Although you can still get a pilots lic with this condition it is much harder and you have to get all kinds of BS wavers.
dunderhead doesn't read, he's stated so in the past.
Just get you training at the same school the 9-11 terror pilots went too, they didn't have a problem with their paperwork, they didn't even have to practice landing. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Malinalli73

Post by Malinalli73 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:25 pm

The only way I can think of is doing an "at home" test. There's no way for them to tell if you were really asleep as long as you keep still most of the night....but then you'll probably fall asleep if you do keep still.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Malinalli73 wrote:The only way I can think of is doing an "at home" test. There's no way for them to tell if you were really asleep as long as you keep still most of the night....but then you'll probably fall asleep if you do keep still.
starting to think you don't know anything about anything you post. ever hear that asleep breathing and wake breathing look quite different on the flow trace?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 am

palerider wrote:
Malinalli73 wrote:The only way I can think of is doing an "at home" test. There's no way for them to tell if you were really asleep as long as you keep still most of the night....but then you'll probably fall asleep if you do keep still.
starting to think you don't know anything about anything you post. ever hear that asleep breathing and wake breathing look quite different on the flow trace?
She's yet to figure out how her own "little machine" works, but she feels qualified to offer advice to others.

Malinalli73 wrote:Two onths into using my machine and I'm already feeling some changes. Chronic pain condition is improving and I don't feel exhausted by noon, not sure if I owe it all to my little machine but that's my guess. I thought that is already an improvement in my quality of life but I'd like to know whay long term users have seen over the years.
Any other changes we could look forward?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:19 am

Cereal Killer wrote:
palerider wrote:
She's yet to figure out how her own "little machine" works, but she feels qualified to offer advice to others.
unfortunately, far too common.

neat pic, is that one of those periscope towers?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:29 pm

Look up sleep apnea in AR 40-501. Those with sleep apnea can deploy as long as they have regular access to electricity for their CPAP machine. As a contractor you will likely fall into this category. I am a medical officer for the US Army and clear soldiers for deployment all the time.

thicke

Post by thicke » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:29 am

Guest wrote:Look up sleep apnea in AR 40-501. Those with sleep apnea can deploy as long as they have regular access to electricity for their CPAP machine. As a contractor you will likely fall into this category. I am a medical officer for the US Army and clear soldiers for deployment all the time.
the definitive solution
only took 11 1/2 years for the OP to get it

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:39 am

thicke wrote:the definitive solution
only took 11 1/2 years for the OP to get it
teehee

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:47 am

Cereal Killer wrote:
palerider wrote:

Malinalli73 wrote:Two onths into using my machine and I'm already feeling some changes. Chronic pain condition is improving and I don't feel exhausted by noon, not sure if I owe it all to my little machine but that's my guess. I thought that is already an improvement in my quality of life but I'd like to know whay long term users have seen over the years.
Any other changes we could look forward?

My God, that's a weird picture in your signature line cereal killer.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

Cereal Killer

Post by Cereal Killer » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 am

Sir NoddinOff wrote:My God, that's a weird picture in your signature line cereal killer.
It's a GIF of a video I took of a friend sitting at my desk. (Everything on the desk is black, so it doesn't show up well.)

I needed an office in the city for a few hours each week. A friend offered me a small cubby in his basement. He didn't like the idea that I was sitting there in a dark basement, so he put in a Basement Window Periscope. He loves doing things like that.

The basement was unsuitable to host a client. But some of my customers heard about the periscope and were fascinated to visit. I have hosted a few, and they all love the periscope so much that don't even notice the dingy basement.

I need to take it out of my signature line. Unless, some like it?

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Cereal Killer wrote:It's a GIF of a video I took of a friend sitting at my desk. (Everything on the desk is black, so it doesn't show up well.)
I needed an office in the city for a few hours each week. A friend offered me a small cubby in his basement. He didn't like the idea that I was sitting there in a dark basement, so he put in a Basement Window Periscope. He loves doing things like that.
The basement was unsuitable to host a client. But some of my customers heard about the periscope and were fascinated to visit. I have hosted a few, and they all love the periscope so much that don't even notice the dingy basement.
I don't know where you live or what you do, but this says a lot about you and your customers. When persons are presented with a viewpoint or point of view in which what they see somehow departs from what they perceive as "reality" they can either embrace it or reject it. In choosing to embrace the idiosyncratic viewpoint of the periscope tower, you and your customers are choosing to embrace the possibility of a point of view that is somehow different than expected. My props to whomever gave you this gift (and the periscope, too).

Last edited by JimW159 on Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:09 pm

Instead of an exterior door with a big window to the second story balcony,
hubby is considering a camera hooked via closed circuit
to a monitor mounted on the inside of the door. I like the idea. One way view.
Maybe on the door to the deck, too.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Instead of an exterior door with a big window to the second story balcony,
hubby is considering a camera hooked via closed circuit
to a monitor mounted on the inside of the door. I like the idea. One way view.
Maybe on the door to the deck, too.
switchable window

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:44 pm

No, don't remove it... I like it. Sorta like Salvador Dali or Escher, but not as manipulative or staged. I gotta admit, It kinda knocked for a loop tho Wasn't it Plato who said that all we perceive of our day to day reality is that of dwellers in a cave looking at shadows dancing on a wall from a nearby fire? It's just like that to me.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

amyfb

Re: Thanks a lot!

Post by amyfb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:48 am

trodello1 wrote:All those stupid Three Stooges comments would be semi-amusing if I wasn't serious about this. (I thought this was a serious forum, anyway) T.....
....the US Army controls the deployments, and they have a policy that says Sleep Apnea is a non-deployable condition. But, if I get a letter signed by my doctor that says I can survive without a CPAP for six months, they'll let me go. The problem is that no doctor wants to stick out his/her neck like that. It seems my only chance is to take another sleep study and pass it. My most recent study (after my UPPP) gave me some fairly decent raddings, as far as I can tell, but I don't know how good is good! My Oxygen Saturation averaged 96.9%, with a low of 84% throughout the night. My RDI was 22.8% though, placing me just into the moderate range. I had 68 "events", 40 hypopnea's and 28 apnea's. I don't know if this all equates to me using a CPAP, but it seems so, because right after that study, they issued me a CPAP and told me to where it. (I was on active duty at the time) Can anyone tell if that equates to mandatory CPAP usage?
NOTE: I am not stupid. I know I should be using a CPAP, but I also know I will not keel over dead if I don't use it for six months. And it doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to use it either. They just want me to be prepared not to use it, just in case I am in a place where there is an unreliable power source. I just want to pass this test so I can continue to do my job.
P.S. What would Ambien do for me.
1. I agree with the doctor who won't stick out his neck regarding the 6-month safety gap. It makes no sense to me that anyone could figure out from a sleep test the six month period of time when you wouldn't need to use it. if that's not a catch-22 set of conditionals I 'll eat my computer mouse for lunch.
2. If you are serious, then start your research with professionals - the doctors and sleep study folks who have been trained to interpret the results.
3. How do you get from " they issued me a cpap and told me to wear it" to "does that equate to mandatory CPAP usage?" (see my point 1 & 2)
4. were your event counts for the entire night, or PER HOUR, which is what I am used to seeing?
5. i was advised to expect the best results if I did NOT use sleep aids , alcohol or other consumable products designed to help sleep. FWIW - those nights I have a beer or two are the same nights I have a higher AHI count. so, that strongly suggests the advice is accurate.
6. there are battery powered options available.
7. better to be alive and breathing than dead on the job.

good luck to you and I hope you find a satisfactory solution.