questions about complex sleep apnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
springman946

questions about complex sleep apnea

Post by springman946 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm

hello i was just wondering can someone explain to me what complex sleep apnea is. I know I have the condition and I am on a bipap machine air curve ASV machine which treats my complex sleep apena however I was born with central sleep apnea
I was a premature baby i only weighted 1Lb/14 ounces although i was hooked up to an alarm system and when I stopped breathing the alarm would sound alerting doctors of my condition so my question is will losing like 40 pounds get rid of the condition all together where I wont have to be attached to the hose anymore. I will say that I weigh 263 LBS I know I need to lose some weight. and its not easy to do. also the picture that shows my machines data is a picture from sleepyhead with a full nights data. I just updated my sleepy head software to 1.0.0 is this the correct version of the sleepyhead software and how do my bi-pap settings look to you

Last edited by springman946 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:45 am, edited 11 times in total.

palerider

Re: questionsabout complex sleep apnea

Post by palerider » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:11 pm

springman946 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:06 pm
hello i was just wondering can someone explain to me what complex sleep apnea is. I know I have the condition and I am on a bipap machine aircurve ASV machine which treats my complex sleep apena however I was born with central sleep apnea so will losing like 40 pounds get rid of the condition all together where I wont have to be attached to the hose anymore. I will say that I weigh 263 LBS I know I need to lose some weight. and its not easy to do.
Obstructive sleep apnea is when your throat closes off your airway, and you fight for a breath.
Central sleep apnea is when your body just doesn't feel the need to breathe, no struggle... and you start breathing again when your body decides it's time. (there's a lot of much more involved papers on the subject out on the net, like this one,
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4454847/ if you want to know more details.

Complex sleep apnea, or CompSa, is when you have purely obstructive apnea, until you introduce pressure from a cpap... then while preventing the obstructives... you start getting centrals.

Losing weight might affect obstructive apnea, and you might need less pressure, or you might need more pressure to resolve it. It won't have any effect on normal central sleep apnea.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:36 pm

I would classify your apnea as Complex Apnea because you stated that you have Complex Apnea which means in your case having both obstructive and central apneas. Palerider cited the common defined cause but you described yourself as "born with central sleep apnea" which implies that your Central Apnea is likely Idiopathic or unknown cause for the apnea.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 am

the chart doesn't run long enough to give a lot on.
It looks as if you have the max PS limited, see how it looks like there is a straight line on the max pressure. I would lift the max PS to 15, to get it out of the way and see what pressures the machine wants to use.
Min epap 6
max epap 15
min ps 3
max ps 15
can you post your settings, the epap 6 is your user min epap, the others are default settings

Last edited by ajack on Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:55 am

ajack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 am
the chart doesn't run long enough to give a lot on.
It looks as if you have the max PS limited, see how it looks like there is a straight line on the max pressure. I would lift the max PS to 15, to get it out of the way and see what pressures the machine wants to use.
Min epap 6
max epap 15
min ps 3
max ps 15
can you post your settings
Best to just ignore ajack.. put him on your foe list.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm

I have a troll :mrgreen:

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:45 pm

ajack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm
Looking in the mirror again?

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:45 pm
ajack wrote:
I suggested returning the asv to mostly default settings, because the max pressure was being clipped. For some reason you found this objectionable and without explanation. I'd call that trolling.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm

ajack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm
palerider wrote:
ajack wrote:
I suggested returning the asv to mostly default settings, because the max pressure was being clipped. For some reason you found this objectionable and without explanation. I'd call that trolling.
Because making changes like that is *stupid and ignorant and irresponsible* especially when someone isn't even asking for help.

ajack

Post by ajack » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:52 pm
ajack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:50 pm
palerider wrote:
ajack wrote:
Because making changes like that is *stupid and ignorant and irresponsible* especially when someone isn't even asking for help.
well I'd say the default titration setting are neither *stupid and ignorant and irresponsible* given that the machine is clipping the max pressure. it isn't set up right.
I asked what the setting were and gave the default ones. Returning to default settings could be the sensible thing to do.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:49 pm

I think your charts would make more sense if you upgraded to a newer version of Sleepyhead. Either 1.0 or 1.1 will more correctly display the settings. https://www.apneaboard.com/sleepyhead

Your question is, will weight loss help with your complex or central sleep apnea problem. In general, we have not seen weight loss eliminate the need for CPAP in obstructive sleep apnea with few exceptions. Central and complex apnea do not arise from weight-related airway obstruction. Unless you need to lose weight for other reasons, I doubt will reduce your reliance on ASV.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:14 pm

ajack wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 pm
Returning to default settings could be the sensible thing to do.
Frankly, you've never offered a sensible suggestion yet.

Why don't you go back to bothering Apneaboard... We'd hoped you'd gone away forever.