Recommended CPAP travel machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
egzbuen

Recommended CPAP travel machine

Post by egzbuen » Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi everyone,

I just purchased my first ever CPAP machine last week and just waiting for its delivery. It's a Remstar 560.

Anyway, per suggestion and recommendation here, it's best to get an extra unit as a backup in case the primary unit fails.

I've decided to get another one but, this time, a travel cpap machine. It's probably best to just start a new thread discussing only travel cpap machines for the benefit of anyone and everyone who is, or who will be, similarly situated.

Here are my queries:

1. What do you guys use as a travel machine?
2. How do you guys carry it? Do you use its OEM travel bag or you just stuff it in your luggage? Hand carried or checked in? Any issues with immigraiton on it being hand carried?
3. How do you protect it from damage while travel?
4. What's is/are your recommended travel cpap machines?
5. Finally, I was thinking of not breaking the bank for this backup travel machine and was thinking of the Apex XT at 189USD which come with a mask already. However, it doesn't have the pressure adjustment thingy like the cflex of the Remstar. The model which has the pressure function retails for over 300USD. Is this pressure thingy crucial? Would I have a hard time with it?

Thanks.

Egzbuen

russmac

Re: Recommended CPAP travel machine

Post by russmac » Sat May 21, 2016 8:46 pm

I fly several times a year (domestic flights), and I bring my regular machine with me as one of my carry-on items. I keep it in its own case. I never check it, and wouldn't. I would pass on a flight rather than check it as luggage. My main carry-on isn't large, so space hasn't been a problem for me. If I were traveling frequently, I might look into something smaller, otherwise it isn't worth the expense. As for getting through security, sometimes my machine is given a thorough inspection and other times I leave the case open and they hardly glance at it. The best way to protect from damage on a flight is to keep it with you.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun May 22, 2016 7:39 am

egzbuen wrote:...
I've decided to get another one but, this time, a travel cpap machine. It's probably best to just start a new thread discussing only travel cpap machines for the benefit of anyone and everyone who is, or who will be, similarly situated.

Here are my queries:

1. What do you guys use as a travel machine?
Like a number of folks here, I purchased a duplicate of my 560. Since most of my travel and vacation time is in humid climates I usually don't bother with the humidifier, and the pump is really only a pound or so heavier then the "travel" cpaps.
egzbuen wrote:2. How do you guys carry it? Do you use its OEM travel bag or you just stuff it in your luggage? Hand carried or checked in? Any issues with immigraiton on it being hand carried?
NEVER Checked! Actually I haven't checked luggage is many years. I use the OEM bag if I need to, but usually can stuff the pump and hose in my carry-on. I've never had a hassle on a domestic flight, but recently I flew IcelandAir to Europe and, because I called to ask their CPAP policy, got flagged as having a severe medical condition that needed special care. I couldn't do the automatic checkins and kept getting pulled out and queried about whether I'm going to die mid-flight. It didn't seem to matter that I didn't want to use the pump on the flights, just carry it.
egzbuen wrote:3. How do you protect it from damage while travel?
It stays with me!
egzbuen wrote:4. What's is/are your recommended travel cpap machines?
An identical 560.
egzbuen wrote:5. Finally, I was thinking of not breaking the bank for this backup travel machine and was thinking of the Apex XT at 189USD which come with a mask already. However, it doesn't have the pressure adjustment thingy like the cflex of the Remstar. The model which has the pressure function retails for over 300USD. Is this pressure thingy crucial? Would I have a hard time with it?
Don't know ... I prefer having an identical machine. I've worked hard to create a setup that allows me to sleep well, and I've found that even a seeming small change can make a big difference. This is especially true when sleeping in a strange bed. There are lots of times I've spent an extra $100 for a touch luxury that lasts one night, a proper cpap is something that will make a difference for years. A 560 with humidifier can be had for about $250-350 used, $400 to 450 new.

One fairly common travel issue is forgotten or broken power supplies. I consider it a major plus to have a pump that runs on a straight 12V supply, without a special plug. That way, I can jury rig a power supply almost anywhere. Also, make sure you have an extension cord in your kit. I've used mine virtually every place I've been.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Sun May 22, 2016 7:53 am

I'm an HDM Z1 Auto (and previously Z1) guy. Do a search on my user name and you will get plenty of info on the Z1 family.

I travel 4 days a week, almost every week via plane. I keep my Z1 in my backpack. I tried flying with my 560 and OEM bag but the third bag was just too much of a PITA. If you're a road warrior you know that you carry everything and your bags are heavy because they contain your life. The Z1 is 13oz and small.

Any travel machine feels different than your bedside unit but fo me I got used to it right away and I sleep as well on the Z1 as I do on my PRS1.

I've got years of experience with these machines so do a search on my and you'll find the info...I basically only post about the Z1 because that's where my experience is.

Last edited by bill-e on Sun May 22, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bill-e

Post by bill-e » Sun May 22, 2016 7:54 am

And/or PM me with specific questions.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun May 22, 2016 8:53 am

Take it with you at all times - it's allowed as a separate carry-on, without being included in carry-on regs... never, ever check it.

The humidifier's up to you.

DO be sure to bring a power adaptor and get hold of a small extension cord there so it will also 'adapt' and solve the no-outlets-near-bed problem often run into.

And most machines today are such similar sizes that it shouldn't be a major deal... but look at mine on Cpap.com - it's marketed for travel, but is in fact a complete and solid, long term machine, if a bit smaller/lighter than some others. You won't get more than screen data of course with any machine, but it shouldn't matter for a few nights.

Altitude could be a factor if you're coming from sea level to the Himalayas, and some machines auto adjust for it, but again, it's not usually an issue.
Last edited by Julie on Sun May 22, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

kempo

Post by kempo » Sun May 22, 2016 9:28 am

I bought a used Remstar Auto-Flex for backup and trips. It has served me well for the past 6 years.

Here's a used Remster 650 for $349.00 at Secondhandcpap.com.

http://www.secondwindcpap.com/Respironi ... -Auto.html

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Sun May 22, 2016 10:57 am

You don't say which countries you're flying to - obviously you're coming from the Philipines - but appropriate advice will vary from country to country.

In addition to the questions you ask, here are some answers to questions you didn't.

a1. It's a good idea to get a letter from your doctor or hospital which identifies you as a patient, and the machine as valuable, necessary, and delicate medical equipment. Particularly if you're flying outsidethe USA. It politely settles any argument with check-in staff or gate-attendants.

a2. It's a good idea to get and carry with you an invoice or delivery note or issuing-agency document with the individual serial number of your machine on it. It politely tells any custom officer you might be faced with that you've already paid duty on it somewhere.

a3. It's a good idea to get a surge protector to 'sit' between the wall socket and the plug end of the cable (US, cord) from your power transformer 'slab'. Here's one that's light, and is both a multi-country adaptor and a surge protector.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Travel-Adapte ... B00A6XTLB0

a4. It's a good idea to get some large, clear plastic bags - and put the machine in one, the mask in another, and the hose in a third. If you ever get asked to unpack your carry-on for visual inspection, or for them to x-ray the machine separately, then you have one hygiene problem fewer. (I have had it happen to me.)

Now, for the things you asked directly.

b1. "1. What do you guys use as a travel machine?"

My PR 551 with 8600 hours which I had Philips Respironics UK service and fit with a new blower. My PR 561 stays home.

b2. "How do you guys carry it?" and
b3. "How do you protect it from damage while travel?"

(i) I use the PR bag the 551 came in. With its shape and its pockets, and pouch in the 'lid', I'm less likely to forget anything.

(ii) The PR bag is now quite familiar to airport staff. And one thing I've learned about the security officers at airports (and I've travelled a lot) is that they like the familiar, the recognisable, and the predictable. So be predictable. Let them see the PR bag and go, "Oh, I know what that is."

As for checking your machine in - are you serious? You never check-in your XPAP. For the following reasons:

(iii) I've seen over-worked and under-paid baggage handlers drop bags 20 feet on to hard concrete.

(iv) I've flown London Heathrow to Los Angeles and then on to San Diego - while my checked luggage flew London Heathrow to Los Angeles and then on to Seattle.

Took them three days to get it back to me. Airlines aren't in a hurry to get anything back to you. They already have your money.

Do you want to be without your APAP for that long?

(v) For a time Londow Heathrow was better known as 'thief-row' on account of how many valuable items 'disappeared' from checked-in luggage.

The unofficial line of the airports authority and the travel insurers was that a certain amount of 'shrinkage' was inevitable.

Now, I don't know what it's like at other airports round the world - I have no journalistic or inside knowledge. But if your machine were to 'disappear' from your checked-in luggage, do you want to be without it for the time it takes to settle your insurance claim? And does your travel insurance cover such an item? Do you even have travel insurance?

So, for all five above reasons ...

.. while I'm traveling, I keep the machine with me at all times.

b4. "What's is/are your recommended travel cpap machines?"

Same as CapnLoki.

I don't have any experience with any 'travel' models, so I don't have an opinion on them. And I'm unlikely to get one because, when I'm on the road, I like 'comfort things' to be familiar. (For the same reason, I will always stay at a Holiday Inn, or if the client's budget will run to it, the Marriott.)

One more thing which you don't mention. There are two filters in machines such as the 551 and the 561 - the fat grey one for dust, and the thin white one for micro-organisms. When I'm on the road, I carry both one spare grey one and several white ones. They don't take up much space, and are another kind of insurance.

casmani

Post by casmani » Sun May 22, 2016 2:09 pm

Hello, I use the Resmed S9 Auto for about a year now. I travel like 6 times a year (internationally within Africa because of my job and sometimes out of Africa). I have been carrying my Resmed as a carry on - it has a nice padded bag and is very light. Have never had trouble at immigration. One thing that makes think of buying a smaller travel ones is I feel that just in case something happens to my machine when I travel, then the one at home will be a back up. Problem of course is that these machines are not cheap!!

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun May 22, 2016 4:06 pm

I have twin S9's and rotate which one I travel with. I use the ResMed bag and have had no real issues with carrying it on. Would never check it and in the US the FAA rule supports that.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Mon May 23, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Pulled the trigger and got myself a travel cpap machine. It will be hand carried to Manila by another friend on June 2.

egzbuen

Post by egzbuen » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:49 pm

At last, local courier called and my Respironics is ready for pickup today. It's been a terrible 2 weeks or so without any machine. Can't wait...

The travel machine which will be hand carried got into a slight mishap. Luggage of my friend was held at the airport by TSA. I was told that said luggage will be delays for awhile