"Super" Cleaning Icon Auto Tank

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GrantT

"Super" Cleaning Icon Auto Tank

Post by GrantT » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:39 am

Hey all,

While I currently use a Resmed S9, I kept my original Icon Auto for use as a travel machine and backup in case the S9 has issues.

One thing though, is the Icon humidifier tank (I actually have two of them) has a bit of a musty odor I can't seem to get rid of. Been through the dishwasher a couple time as well.

Does anyone know if I can boil these things? I was thinking of trying a pot of boiling water with some baking soda. Other thoughts/suggestions?

TangledHose

Re: "Super" Cleaning Icon Auto Tank

Post by TangledHose » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 am

As you already realize the Icon tub is dishwasher safe so boiling for five minutes or so probably won't harm anything. I myself use "Control III" which is available from cpap dot com. Not only does it thoroughly disinfect, but it also leaves behind a very light, pleasant sent. The stuff is strong so you mix one ounce to a gallon of water, I use hot tap water, and let stuff soak for ten minutes, then rinse completely. I use it for tubs, masks, hoses, etc.. The stuff works great and I'll bet you it will cure your tub smell problem.

Link to Sleepyhead:
http://sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:12 pm

I also like Control III and like the way it cleans. I'm not crazy about the smell, it's not bad, just sort of medicine scented. I like to take a bar of sandelwood soap I keep handy and put that next to the air intake for my machine. That takes the edge off the smell and after one night it's all gone anyway. As a recall there was a post awhile ago about putting a handful of salt in the tank and adding enough water to make a slurry. Then using a q-tip or something like that to get into all the corners. The salt scrubs the stubborn scum off but doesn't scratch the surfaces. There was also something about the salt breaking the covalent bonds of the stubborn bio-film and allowing conventional cleaners to do their job, like in the dishwasher. I tried it once and it seemed to work on a seriously grungy tank.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

CMM

Post by CMM » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:25 pm

The Control III solution is the best cleaning product I've seen. Another quick fix is to soak it in a diluted vinegar solution. Vinegar is a mild acid and great for cleaning. I know it doesn't smell great while you're using it, but afterwords everything smells fresh again. I use a 1:3 dilution of vinegar:water.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:02 am

Look up the price and availability of a new tank. Then maybe try boiling and replacing if it damages the tank.

Maybe just try soaking in warm water with baking soda.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.