some advice for those struggling with CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Seattleboy49

some advice for those struggling with CPAP

Post by Seattleboy49 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:09 am

I have been more lurker here of late rather than poster and that is mostly because of the struggles I've had getting used to the CPAP. There have been long periods where I have given up on it completely only to unsuccessfully try again after my wife complained about my snoring. After reading a few posts here about difficulties users were having I noticed a few posters recommended switching from C-Flex to A-Flex (I have the Phillips Respironics Remstar Auto) and wow, what a difference this has made as it feels much more like "normal breathing" to me. In reading older posts I know there are some who experience the opposite reaction to A-flex and since C-Flex and A-Flex are comfort settings it will depend on personal preference. But for anyone out there who has been struggling with C-Flex I highly recommend switching from C-Flex to A-Flex and see if that works for you.

One other suggestion I have is buying a CPAP hose holder. I just bought the below one from Amazon and it is amazing. I am a side sleeper so not having the hose directly in my face when I am sleeping on my side has made as much of a difference for me as switching to A-Flex did. For some reason the picture of the device on the front page shows the hose in its travel bag, but if you really want to see what it looks like a few people who posted reviews included pictures of the hose when it's set up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0034C ... UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, just hoping the above will maybe help someone who is struggling with getting used to the CPAP as I did for so long. I am sleeping better the ever now (my AHI is consistently below 2 since incorporating these changes) and have finally gotten to the point where I can no longer imagine sleeping without the CPAP. I never thought I would get there so although it took a while the end result was worth it.

JDS74

Re: some advice for those struggling with CPAP

Post by JDS74 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:09 pm

Congratulations on you persistence and success. For all of us it is a journey - sometimes the road is smooth and sometimes bunpy.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Seattleboy49

Post by Seattleboy49 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:36 pm

Thanks so much and yes, it was a heck of a struggle for me, but that makes finally getting it right feel that much better. Another thing I should mention to those who are having difficulties adjusting is that you might need to make other adjustments to your bedroom in order to sleep as well as possible. In recent months I bought a much more comfortable bed and blackout shades for my bedroom. all of the above really turned things around for me. So I think the key thing for anyone is to not give up, but instead keep trying new things until you eventually get it right. Nothing beats a good night of sleep so once you get it right all the struggles will have been worth it.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:43 pm

Seattleboy49 wrote:Thanks so much and yes, it was a heck of a struggle for me, but that makes finally getting it right feel that much better. Another thing I should mention to those who are having difficulties adjusting is that you might need to make other adjustments to your bedroom in order to sleep as well as possible. In recent months I bought a much more comfortable bed and blackout shades for my bedroom. all of the above really turned things around for me. So I think the key thing for anyone is to not give up, but instead keep trying new things until you eventually get it right. Nothing beats a good night of sleep so once you get it right all the struggles will have been worth it.

So true. I have found that adding blankets when the weather turns colder restores my ability to sleep well. I don't notice the slow change in sleep quality and don't realize I am that cold. But adding more blankets will solve that problem.

Back when I started, Ihad trouble with leaks, and having to readjust my headgear all the time. I knew the mask was the right one since the sleep tech had used this type of mask on me with no leaks. I found out that I could get a smaller headgear, and that was the solution for my mask. Instant improvement. My DME actually refused to order it for me (first they said it did not exist), so I had to change DMEs to get it. But it was the game changer for me. No more cursing at the mask in the middle of the night.

I have other little issues that creep up, and most are not apnea related, just comfort related.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi, Seattle! Glad you are finding what works for you.

Seattleboy49

Post by Seattleboy49 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:42 pm

Thanks Nick! It was a long process, but worth it in the end. Not getting good quality sleep is such a truly miserable, debilitating feeling. I just hope that maybe what I wrote will help at least one person out there

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:34 am

Seattleboy: nice to hear your story! When I got the Hosebuddy, it was the best cpap investment I've made! It keeps the hose outta' the way and I don't have to mess with it during the night. Wearing the mask is enough intrusion on your sleep without messing with a hose that can be eliminated.

Now you get to stick around and help other newbies!!

Sheriff

Neecerie

Post by Neecerie » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you for the recommendation on the hose holder.

Even though I do not get a machine until later this week, Amazon will deliver the hose holder the same day (the perks of being in the same metro area as the HQ) so I shouldn't have to figure out how to wrestle with a hose while i am getting used to things.

SGearhart

Post by SGearhart » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:17 am

Seattleboy,
Thanks for the link to the hose holder. I have been using a long bar C-clamp and velcro cable ties because most accessory sellers price their hose holders to a point that they want to keep it more than I want it. Thanks again. On a side note, getting the CPAP machine was the cheapest part of this therapy. Buying all the accessories is were the real money is.

Seattleboy49

Post by Seattleboy49 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:00 pm

Just like shaving SHearhart. It's not the razor that will empty your pocket, but the razors themselves. Hope the hose helps you though. It's less the. $15 so not much of a risk. There are a few different hoses on Amazon, but I went with that particular one just because it has the most positive reviews and I have been very happy with it.
Last edited by Seattleboy49 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattleboy49

Post by Seattleboy49 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:02 pm

Neceerie, I hope you like those hose as well! It's very easy to set up and not having these hose directly in your face when trying to sleep made all the difference in the world for me.

Seattleboy49

Post by Seattleboy49 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:Seattleboy: nice to hear your story! When I got the Hosebuddy, it was the best cpap investment I've made! It keeps the hose outta' the way and I don't have to mess with it during the night. Wearing the mask is enough intrusion on your sleep without messing with a hose that can be eliminated.

Now you get to stick around and help other newbies!!

Sheriff
Ha! That's right Sheriff Buford! Never thought I would graduate past newbie status so I am very happy to have done so.

Too tall

Post by Too tall » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Drugs
System One RemStar Pro with C-Flex+ (460P)

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Too tall wrote:Drugs
Usually the best solution to problems. But not always. I had to double the dose of my sleeping pill last night but still couldn't sleep deeply.

Its touch and go with this CPAP thing. One day out of many I will feel a little tired; most days I feel like crap.

Mask: Flexifit 407