Two new Resmed Masks---coming soon?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thatgirl

Re: Two new Resmed Masks---coming soon?

Post by Thatgirl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:F & P has the new nasal pillow mask called the Brevida. Available right now only in Australia and New Zealand but will eventually make it's way here.
https://www.fphcare.co.nz/brevida/

I am not interested in a nasal cushion or full face mask but I think the Brevida looks interesting so I will probably give it a shot when it comes to the US. I'm long past due for a new mask experiment...the last one I did was the ResMed P10.
I am getting bored.
This looks very interesting. I wonder if it swivels 360 degrees at the joint so the hose could come over the headboard?

I also wonder if there's a P20 coming that's just pending FDA approval. Hopefully just like the P10, but with better headgear.

Usually ~EPAP 6, IPAP 12
Loving Sleepyhead!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 am

rosacer wrote:To me, all comes to the same; straps on your face making lasting marks for lots of hours.

I don't understand why no one has designed something similar to the deceased Headrest or why somebody didn't buy the right to produce the Headrest again. I know the ask is not a beauty but the idea is there.

Rosie

ps the reason is maybe because one cushion can last one year
It does sound like you can benefit from a better (or better for you) design. Also, you can try putting a piece of terrycloth or other soft material between your forehead the the headrest. In addtiona, there are some masks on the market that don't rely on a headrest!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:00 am

D.H. wrote: It does sound like you can benefit from a better (or better for you) design. Also, you can try putting a piece of terrycloth or other soft material between your forehead the the headrest. In addtiona, there are some masks on the market that don't rely on a headrest!
You misunderstood. Rosie isn't having a problem with the headrest on her mask.
She wants the Headrest mask to go back into production. The Headrest was a nasal pillow mask that a lot of people like but not enough people to keep it in production so it was killed off and you can't find it anywhere anymore.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepyMcgee

Post by SleepyMcgee » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:03 am

so bizarre that they arent all 'over the head' masks...Who the heck wants a hose in the front like that??

Post by Guest » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:16 am

rosacer wrote: I don't understand why no one has designed something similar to the deceased Headrest or why somebody didn't buy the right to produce the Headrest again. I know the ask is not a beauty but the idea is there.

Rosie

ps the reason is maybe because one cushion can last one year
+1
It's not there wasn't a market. The Aeiomed factory was burned down in a fire some years back and was never rebuilt. Maybe they weren't insured?

I too an surprised that Johnny didn't seize the opportunity to buy the patent or marketing rights.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:21 am

SleepyMcgee wrote:so bizarre that they arent all 'over the head' masks...Who the heck wants a hose in the front like that??
Once you are asleep the location of the hose is not really all that important.

Some people, and Rosie is one of them, are very, very sensitive to straps that lie along the sides of the cheeks. The tubes on your DreamWear mask would more than likely leave strap marks along her cheeks every morning that take a while to finally go away.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:39 am

robysue wrote:The tubes on your DreamWear mask would more than likely leave strap marks along her cheeks every morning that take a while to finally go away.
Rosie is like me...she gets marks really easy from the least little thing. Heck, I get a big line on my cheek from a wrinkle in the pillow case. Looks like someone took a knife to my cheek and I have a big scar for half the day.

I have used the DreamWear..both with and without the fleece side covers...the fleece side covers help a lot but still don't totally eliminate the marks and with the DreamWear frame those marks are fairly wide....pretty noticeable for 2 to 3 hours in the morning.

Rosie...have you ever tried the Breeze?
Also, there's the Tap Pap but it uses a mouth guard..no headgear at all though.
FWIW I did get a chance some time ago to try the Headrest. I thought for sure I would hate having all that stuff on top of my head but I was actually surprised to find that the "stuff on my head" pretty much disappeared and the mask was quite comfortable. I can see why you (and the others) liked it so much.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:02 am

Pugsy wrote:
D.H. wrote: It does sound like you can benefit from a better (or better for you) design. Also, you can try putting a piece of terrycloth or other soft material between your forehead the the headrest. In addtiona, there are some masks on the market that don't rely on a headrest!
You misunderstood. Rosie isn't having a problem with the headrest on her mask.
She wants the Headrest mask to go back into production. The Headrest was a nasal pillow mask that a lot of people like but not enough people to keep it in production so it was killed off and you can't find it anywhere anymore.
I looked it up; this mask was made by AEIOmed. That company went out of business in 2008 because their factory in China burnt down. I had their CPAP, which was an excellent machine, except that is was a bit on the delicate side. I wish somebody would buy the patents, incorporate the stack-able design, the frontal hose attachment, and the built in battery into a current technology CPAP.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Start saving your nickels, DH!

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:31 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote:Resmed masks in my experience cost too much to maintain. The pillows (silicone) breaks down too fast. I will never purchase another resmed mask.
Sorry you feel that way. Last month was the 1 year anniversary for 1 Small P10 nasal pillow. I haven't even been rotating it like I have done with others in the past. Still using the one pillow and looks and feels good and seals just fine. I do realize that others aren't so lucky for whatever reason.

Just goes to show that mask life is highly individual just like pretty much every other thing with cpap therapy comes with that big YMMV sticker.
My issue was with the Swift LT pillows, they went from lasting 10 months to just 2-3 months when they changed the quality and country of manufacture.
This was about the time my insurance changed their cpap policy from allowing 2 pillows a month to 2 pillows every 6 months
I wasn't the only one to notice the change in quality

viewtopic/t41729/MIRAGE-SWIFT-LT-QUALIT ... ARADE.html

1 year from a pillow though is very good, I hear some people boil them in water to make them last longer.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm always looking for something that is more helpful with the headgear. I use Phillips Respironics Nuance Pro gel nasal pillow. I've been told there is no other option from the headgear I have. My problem is that the thing doesn't seem to want to stay put on my hair. I have fine, straight hair and the long piece on the back slides up easily. It's annoying. I have to get creative with hairstyles to hold it in place, but I don't like that.

It seems odd that no one would take that into account when designing these things.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

frapilu

Post by frapilu » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 pm

palerider wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
noise wrote:Resmed masks in my experience cost too much to maintain. The pillows (silicone) breaks down too fast. I will never purchase another resmed mask.
Sorry you feel that way. Last month was the 1 year anniversary for 1 Small P10 nasal pillow. I haven't even been rotating it like I have done with others in the past. Still using the one pillow and looks and feels good and seals just fine. I do realize that others aren't so lucky for whatever reason.
indeed. I'm at two years on a p10 pillow, I tried a new one recently and couldn't tell any difference in performance, or leaks, so I put the old one back on.

I also used the same mirage quattro pillow for about four years, I'd bought a spare when I started, because of comments like the one quoted above, I expected it to fall apart in no time, so ... four years of use and weekly washings in hot water and dawn later, it was still working when I switched to the p10. the spare never got opened.
I have been using my Quattro Air for her mask for a couple of years also. I also had gotten a spare cushion because of what I had heard but have not yet felt the need to change it. I'm looking forward to trying this new mask just because I'm bored. I have no problems with my Quattro Air for her.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:21 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:My issue was with the Swift LT pillows, they went from lasting 10 months to just 2-3 months when they changed the quality and country of manufacture.
I remember the Swift LT issues that some had. I don't think I ever had any of the "first" pillows. I think I started therapy right after or just about the time all that happened. I never really had any issues with the Swift LT (that was my very first cpap mask) but the Swift FX came out about a year into my therapy and I made the change because while the LT was okay...those little arms on my face sure annoyed me and I was glad to get rid of them.

I have done the boiling trick but only to do it to see what it did. I have always been able to get months and months our of any nasal pillow mask I have used over the years. Just lucky I guess.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:55 pm

I've heard from a number of people that cause me to form the opinion that the life of mask cushions/pillows is inversely related to the vigor that is devoted to cleaning them.

"gentle and as needed" = long life.
"vigorous and often" = short life.

then there's the issue of inner cones getting popped inwards, and the mask not working well at all, which affects the P10, and likely others... there's been several people I alerted to that fact and they'd come back and say "THANK YOU! It works great again!"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:20 pm

I clean my mask pillows with wipes gently every week and maybe clean and disinfect every 2-3 months.
I've always followed that procedure and now I have my Aloha pillows lasting 6+ months easy.

But I must admit I suffer from "de lure de mask" when I see one that looks as though it could be even a little more comfortable to get to sleep with.

I'm interested in the N20 mask, despite my past experience with resmed (including mirage liberty hybrid clips breaking off).
I was actually titrated with a nasal mask but have been using a nasal pillow mask mostly since. What attracts me to the N20 is the headgear, I have a fairly flat back of my head and some of the more minimalist headgear just slides around and creates leaks. The N20 headgear looks to be more substantial.

I'll be looking to see when it is listed on cpap.com and at what price with the return insurance.