Thyroid Disease

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice

Thyroid Disease

Post by Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:06 am

Newbie here! I have been waking up in the night choking and gasping for air - I am scared, depressed and exhausted.

I am on the waiting list for a sleep study and respirologist. I am sleeping on a wedge pillow and I'm desperate to try a CPAP - I am exhausted all the time and I can't function.

I have Hashimotos thyroid disease and my tongue is very swollen - I'm wondering if this is causing the problem. I used to have a large goiter, but Synthroid has greatly reduced it's size.

I would love to hear advice from anyone...I'm feeling pretty alone in this battle for sleep

Am I ever going to feel better? This is a pretty awful way to live.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Thyroid Disease

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice wrote:I am on the waiting list for a sleep study and respirologist. I am sleeping on a wedge pillow
A wedge pillow is typically not much help.

Starting immediately, begin sleeping on your sides or stomach. Backsleeping should be totally avoided. When you are on your back, gravity is directly pulling the tongue and soft palate into the airway and this tends to cause obstructions (apneas).

If you need tips on how to avoid backsleeping, just ask - many members have suggestions they use.
Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice wrote: my tongue is very swollen - I'm wondering if this is causing the problem
It certainly could be the problem. Apneas (breathing cessations) are generally caused by the tongue and soft palate blocking the airway while sleeping.
Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice wrote:I'm feeling pretty alone in this battle for sleep
It would be a good idea to register (free) in the forum. This will make it easier for you to track your posts and the replies. It also makes it easier for us to become familiar with you and your case.

As far as feeling alone, you now have access to a big cadre of people who have mostly overcome challenges similar to yours.
Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice wrote:Am I ever going to feel better?
Yes! There are plenty of good solutions.
First read: viewtopic/t172378/Sticky--Newbies-PLEAS ... STING.html

Then get a free account: https://home.sleephq.com/

Post links in this thread for members to see and make recommendations.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:31 pm

It is a lot to think about. Just having one problem can feel overwhelming, and having possibly intertwined conditions - well, you're experiencing that right now. When things are so unclear, dealing with the known factors can help clear the path to see how to proceed. When I started CPAP treatment my tongue was enlarged and I had no thyroid diagnosis. Over time it returned to normal size. Befuddles me, but hey, it resolved so I consider myself lucky. It will be interesting moving forward to see how much of your feeling bad is due to your thyroid and how much ends up being to sleep apnea (if diagnosed). Is there a time projection on when you can pursue testing for your sleep problems? Any way being the squeaky wheel might expedite the process? Good luck going forward. If you do end up on CPAP you'll find plenty of help here sorting through things.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Welcome. Sorry you needed to join us.

I prescribe a respirologist visit, sleep study, CPAP if indicated, and proper followup treatment for your thyroid problems.

Plus liberal doses of cpaptalk.com.

Be sure to get a good, fully data capable CPAP machine. There are some Useful Links in my signature line below on how to get the right one. Be very careful, the "system" will tend to screw you with a bad machine.

Where do you live? Is the wait time long for the sleep study?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Newbie with thyroid disease looking for advice wrote:Newbie here! I have been waking up in the night choking and gasping for air - I am scared, depressed and exhausted.

I am on the waiting list for a sleep study and respirologist. I am sleeping on a wedge pillow and I'm desperate to try a CPAP - I am exhausted all the time and I can't function.

I have Hashimotos thyroid disease and my tongue is very swollen - I'm wondering if this is causing the problem. I used to have a large goiter, but Synthroid has greatly reduced it's size.

I would love to hear advice from anyone...I'm feeling pretty alone in this battle for sleep

Am I ever going to feel better? This is a pretty awful way to live.
What country are you in? Is it too late to use an iodine supplement?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:23 pm

borgready wrote:For those that don't want to get thyroid disease one should consider taking iodine as a supplement to the diet. Take two drops of this iodine and add it to a glass of water and drink on empty stomach everyday. It doesn't taste bad. Awesome stuff.

http://store.infowars.com/Survival-Shie ... _1322.html
IMPORTANT: follow any advice from borgready at your own risk... and after educating yourself:
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/enc ... 002658.htm
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natu ... -overdose/
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professiona ... d-toxicity

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:45 pm

palerider wrote:
borgready wrote:For those that don't want to get thyroid disease one should consider taking iodine as a supplement to the diet. Take two drops of this iodine and add it to a glass of water and drink on empty stomach everyday. It doesn't taste bad. Awesome stuff.

IMPORTANT: follow any advice from borgready at your own risk... and after educating yourself:
https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/enc ... 002658.htm
http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natu ... -overdose/
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professiona ... d-toxicity
See now your getting personal. I don't make this stuff. Most people are lacking in iodine in their diets. Its good to use a nutritional supplement or else you risk goes up for thyroid disease.

It can't be as bad as a good healthy dose of fluoride from the toothpaste most people get everyday. I guess you would say the fluoride is good your teeth. That's what the govt says. Its so good for you they put it in the municipal water supplies across the country. You know to protect your teeth. And you ride my ass for posting a link to nutritional supplement.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:34 pm

borgready spews more ignorance wrote:It can't be as bad as a good healthy dose of fluoride from the toothpaste most people get everyday. I guess you would say the fluoride is good your teeth. That's what the govt says. Its so good for you they put it in the municipal water supplies across the country. You know to protect your teeth.
fun fact... Portland OR doesn't floridate their water.

Friend of mine moved to Portland a few years ago.

Went to the dentist after a while...

When she was in the chair, and opened her mouth, the first thing the dentist said was:

I see you didn't grow up in Portland.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Worldwar2

Post by Worldwar2 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:36 pm

IMPORTANT: This person is NOT a doctor! It angers me that you make a blanket statement like this!!

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:13 pm

Worldwar2 wrote:

IMPORTANT: This person is NOT a doctor! It angers me that you make a blanket statement like this!!
Yes I am not a doctor. It angers me that you would make such a blanket statement about me.

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:17 pm

palerider wrote:
borgready spews more ignorance wrote:It can't be as bad as a good healthy dose of fluoride from the toothpaste most people get everyday. I guess you would say the fluoride is good your teeth. That's what the govt says. Its so good for you they put it in the municipal water supplies across the country. You know to protect your teeth.
fun fact... Portland OR doesn't floridate their water.

When she was in the chair, and opened her mouth, the first thing the dentist said was:

I am sorry I have had to much fluoride over many years. I don't get your dumb ass joke.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:20 pm

borgready wrote:
Worldwar2 wrote:

Yes I am not a doctor. It angers me that you would make such a blanket statement about me.
Stop posting dangerous junk and we won't make blanket statements about how much of an asshole you are.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:21 pm

borgready wrote:
I am sorry I have had to much fluoride over many years. I don't get your dumb ass joke.
No it is because you hit your head on the tap too many times that you are brain damaged.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:22 pm

borgready wrote:
palerider wrote:fun fact... Portland OR doesn't floridate their water.

as mentioned, *fact* not joke.

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:25 am

viewtopic/p1023573/3-yo-daughter-has-sl ... l#p1023573

Suggestion for PMing folks about posts on a thread vs. getting into a back and forth discussion that takes the thread OT and does nothing to help the OP. And as I said in the other thread, I have been guilty of this so this is a good reminder to me.