CPAP Masks, round 2, full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DaveInGA

CPAP Masks, round 2, full face mask

Post by DaveInGA » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:40 pm

Well, I tried out nasal pillows for a few days now and while I've gotten the machine to about the right humidity/temp, a good pressure range for APAP and I'm getting good AHI (A lot less than 1), I'm not sleeping more than 2 to 2.5 hours at a maximum stretch. I'm using nasal pillows and I'm getting dreams, so that's been good. I also fall to sleep fairly quickly, just like I did before getting a cpap machine.

I'm afraid Julie was right, I'm a snorer/mouth breather after a couple hours. Last night, after a little over two hours, I woke up with a strange loud noise in my face and quickly/abruptly removed my mask. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure I had my mouth open and that was the racket. Mouth was dry as was throat, even with a good comfortable level of humidity.

I think at this point, looking at a full face mask is the way I should go. After reading on here, I'd like to ask folks to help me get a list of several candidates and then I can purchase one to try. I'm not sure if in the future when I am more rested I can go back to a nasal mask of some sort, but I do know I don't like the idea of a chin strap to hold my mouth closed, as I'm having issues with my nose and nasal passages that aren't resolved yet. Something similar to adult onset asthma that may be brought on by my Rheumatoid Arthritis. (Having autoimmune system issues isn't fun at all, makes things complicated that should be simple.)

I've got a list of a few masks, but would be glad to hear of other good masks on the market, as I'm not locked into anything at this point. Affordable/inexpensive would be nice, if a decent mask can be gotten. Here's my current list in no particular order:

1. DeVilbiss Innova Full Face Gel Mask with Headgear
2. ResMed Quattro AIR Full Face Mask with Headgear
3. ResMed Quattro FX Full Face Mask with Headgear
4. Respironics Amara Face Mask with Headgear

Comments on these are welcome and I'd be interested to hear of an affordable and innovative product. Near as I can tell, I'm a size medium for the Resmed and Respironics masks.

Thank you everyone for your help so far. If I can resolve the waking up issue after two hours, I should be on my way.

Dave

Julie

Re: CPAP Masks, round 2, full face mask

Post by Julie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi - never heard of the Innova, but if it's new, that would explain it. The Amara has not been popular with those who've tried it, but there must be some whose face fits it... so it's hard to say more.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:07 pm

I went the same route that you are starting on ... now have a cabinet full of full face masks ... that I don't use ... now back to nasal pillows and a roll of tape .

When my mouth opens and the jaw falls back and you snore ... the throat closes and the mask does not help with keeping the mouth closed.

The only one that might keep it closed is the Fisher & Paykel Forma, which fits under the chin.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Nooblakahn

Post by Nooblakahn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:16 pm

I started with full face knowing full well that my nose sucks. Probably just as well that I did too... as my higher asv pressure doesn't work to well with nasal.

That Quattro FX you have listed is awesome. I can't speak highly enough of it. I also really like the mirage quattro here https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html

I really wanted to try the airfit f10 https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... dgear.html But they don't seem to make a headgear big enough to fit my massive head. If you wanted to stay with a mask that doesn't have the forehead band, and it fits you.. I would try this. I like the way it vents off to the side around the hose.. instead of the top center of the mask.

I just started using the quattro air you listed above.. that one fit me.. and has the same vent holes that made me want to try the airfit f10. Not sure how I feel about that one yet.. trying to get it adjusted right for me as I had a very high leak line last 2 nights...

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different."
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Guest1

Post by Guest1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:08 pm

I would add Resmed Airfit F10 to the list.

If you need to buy them cheap, try buying them in parts on eBay. I just got a brand new Quattro Air for $48 delivered (as parts).

You can find the F10 for less than $60 there.

DaveInGA

Post by DaveInGA » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:44 am

Guest1 wrote:I would add Resmed Airfit F10 to the list.

If you need to buy them cheap, try buying them in parts on eBay. I just got a brand new Quattro Air for $48 delivered (as parts).

You can find the F10 for less than $60 there.
What parts are needed to buy to assemble a Quattro Air?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:47 am

https://www.cpap.com/productpage-replac ... esmed.html

When looking to buy a mask in pieces and building your own you might check out cpap.com to get an idea what pieces are needed.
In the case of the Quattro air look like...headgear and the assembly kit which should have the cushion along with the plastic frame.
Sometimes people on EBay will break down the assembly kit to the plastic frame and the cushion.
So 2 or maybe 3 pieces.

Check out this listing on EBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ResMed-Quattr ... 35e17a01e9
While the actual listing is for the headgear and cushion ...note the mention of the "bonus" item. I bet the "bonus" item is the plastic frame...making the mask package complete. You might email the seller and ask just to make sure.

Sometimes similar packages can be found on Amazon. I just did a quick look at Amazon but didn't spot any killer deals that would be the EBay deal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:58 am

Check your local Craigslist for mask deals.