Flow Limitation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bignate76

Flow Limitation

Post by Bignate76 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:34 am

Flow Limitations... I get the definition. "Flow Limitation is a partial obstruction of the airway as detected by a change in the shape of the flow signal."

Can I look at this as a partial obstruction? My airway closed slightly but not enough to classify as an OA? Or could this also be a crimp in the hose or mouth leak?
Just not sure how to look at it.

I've noticed over the 2 months my OA's have dropped to only a few a week, but my FL has increased by about the same %. Most events are now FL and respiratory related arousals.

Pugsy

Re: Flow Limitation

Post by Pugsy » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:43 am

Bignate76 wrote: Can I look at this as a partial obstruction? My airway closed slightly but not enough to classify as an OA?
yes..this is what it is...the air flow is reduced but not totally blocked...has nothing to do with the hose being crimped and everything to do with the airway tissues partially blocking the air flow.

A few isn't a big deal...if you are seeing a large number of FLs (or clusters) along with the RERAs in larger numbers (or clusters) it usually means the pressure is not quite optimal and is allowing the airway to collapse just a little. A little more pressure will usually hold the airway open better and reduce the number of FLs and RERAs.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bignate76

Post by Bignate76 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:56 am

Perfect. Thanks.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:19 am

Bignate76 wrote:Flow Limitations... I get the definition. "Flow Limitation is a partial obstruction of the airway as detected by a change in the shape of the flow signal."

Can I look at this as a partial obstruction? My airway closed slightly but not enough to classify as an OA? Or could this also be a crimp in the hose or mouth leak?
Just not sure how to look at it.
this will help understand flow limitations more than the definition.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gie2dhqP2c

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dennism

Post by dennism » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 am

Love your Steal Your Face Grateful Dead Logo!

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:20 am

That was a great video explanation and demonstration - thank you for posting it!

Bignate76

Post by Bignate76 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:23 am

yaconsult wrote:That was a great video explanation and demonstration - thank you for posting it!
Agree. Thanks pale.

And thanks Dennis, lol.