Snoring, is it working?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
shaner

Snoring, is it working?

Post by shaner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:50 am

I have the Devilbliss Intellipap APAP machine. My pressure is 12, and I have the machine set to 8-20. My AHI (at least according to my machine) varies quite a bit, but it's almost always under 5. How accurate is that?

The other night my girlfriend was awake much later than me and she said I was snoring loudly for about 30 minutes even though it didn't appear I had any leaks. She couldn't tell if I stopped breathing or not. My AHI that night was under 5. Does that mean the treatment wasn't working effectively? What other info does my machine show that might tell me whether it's working effectively or not?

Therapist

Re: Snoring, is it working?

Post by Therapist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:54 am

shaner wrote:My pressure is 12, and I have the machine set to 8-20
This is a contradictory statement. Please clarify.
shaner wrote:I was snoring loudly for about 30 minutes even though it didn't appear I had any leaks.
Your minimum pressure is probably set too low. Properly adjusted CPAP should eliminate snoring.

Sleeprider

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:03 am

Shaner, your machine is compatible with the Sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

You should download and install (extract) the program and use it to evaluate your therapy efficacy. There may be a correlation between snoring, and the pressure at which it occurs most frequently. The same may be apparent for obstructive apnea and hypopnea. This can help you adjust the minimum pressure on your machine to a level that prevents those events, and might improve your results. Give it a try. Program is free, and the members of the forum can help you interpret the data results.

shaner

Post by shaner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:15 am

Therapist wrote:
shaner wrote:My pressure is 12, and I have the machine set to 8-20
This is a contradictory statement. Please clarify.
shaner wrote:I was snoring loudly for about 30 minutes even though it didn't appear I had any leaks.
Your minimum pressure is probably set too low. Properly adjusted CPAP should eliminate snoring.
The pressure I was told I need is 12, so I set my machine to a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 20.

shaner

Post by shaner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:16 am

Sleeprider wrote:Shaner, your machine is compatible with the Sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

You should download and install (extract) the program and use it to evaluate your therapy efficacy. There may be a correlation between snoring, and the pressure at which it occurs most frequently. The same may be apparent for obstructive apnea and hypopnea. This can help you adjust the minimum pressure on your machine to a level that prevents those events, and might improve your results. Give it a try. Program is free, and the members of the forum can help you interpret the data results.
Do I have to buy that smartlink module? That's a little pricy for me at this point in time and although masks are covered under my benefits, I highly doubt the smartlink module would be. Is there a cheaper way to get the info off the machine?

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:19 am

shaner wrote:The pressure I was told I need is 12, so I set my machine to a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 20.
I would raise the minimum to 10. If you need 12 and the machine is running at 8, you may be having events and snoring before the machine can get the pressure up to 12.

I see you have intended to raise the pressure some time ago - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102689&p=962443#p962443

I guess you never got around to doing it?

Therapist

Post by Therapist » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:21 am

Sleeprider wrote:Shaner, your machine is compatible with the Sleepyhead software http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH2/

Thanks and maybe you can also help him with that question about the module.

I think it is very important for Shaner to look at detailed data when he is making pressure changes. Otherwise, how do you guys say it, "It's like driving in the dark with no headlights?"

Thanks again Sleeprider!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:25 am

The smart link module is necessary for putting the information on the SD card to be used by computer software.
No module...no software use.
Otherwise a person is limited to the smart code data.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

shaner

Post by shaner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:26 am

Therapist wrote:
shaner wrote:The pressure I was told I need is 12, so I set my machine to a minimum of 8 and a maximum of 20.
I would raise the minimum to 10. If you need 12 and the machine is running at 8, you may be having events and snoring before the machine can get the pressure up to 12.

I see you have intended to raise the pressure some time ago - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=102689&p=962443#p962443

I guess you never got around to doing it?
I absolutely got around to doing it. I raised it from 4 to 8, or so I thought. Now that I go back and read my post, perhaps I did in fact raise it to 9. I haven't checked it in a long time and thought it was at 8, but maybe it is actually at 9. Either way, I guess I need to be closer to 12, so maybe I'll set the minimum to 11. Other than AHI, I don't have any info though, so the driving in the dark comment applies.

Is there a way to get the data off the machine without having to pay $150 for that module?

shaner

Post by shaner » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:34 am

Pugsy wrote:The smart link module is necessary for putting the information on the SD card to be used by computer software.
No module...no software use.
Otherwise a person is limited to the smart code data.
Thanks. I bought this machine recently and am very annoyed I have to spend another $150 just to get data off of it. There's something wrong about that. Anyway, I qualify for a new machine this June. Does the S9 come with everything needed to get the data off it, or is there extra costs with it too? If I can get the data off it for no extra cost, I'll buy it come June and will avoid Devilbiss products in the future

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:34 am

Do you use the smart codes (like I do)? I don't have a module, but at least the codes give some good info. And do avoid back sleeping - it probably is making the snoring worse.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:46 am

ResMed's newest line of machines is now the AirSense 10 machines...replacing the S9.
Both ResMed and Respironics use a little common SD card for data storage and they write to the SD card without needing anything else.
Just make sure that you know the models that will write full efficacy data to that SD card because there are models that don't gather anything beyond hours of use.

You can use the smart codes and get a little more data from your machine.
Do you know about how to use the smart cards?
Go here and read right below Product Features....track your therapy
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/devilb ... chine.html
Once you have written down the smart codes from your machine you click on "generate report" and plug in those codes and you get more information.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:28 am

Julie wrote:Do you use the smart codes (like I do)? I don't have a module, but at least the codes give some good info. And do avoid back sleeping - it probably is making the snoring worse.
Julie, You keep saying that, but many people find sidesleeping difficult while wearing a CPAP mask and many others have pain issues that will not allow them to sleep on their sides. On the other hand, if the CPAP pressure is set correctly, all but the most extreme cases can backsleep and get good CPAP therapy.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:27 pm

I'm not the sleep police, just passing on info like everyone else. Many serious snorers are back sleepers (whichever came first) and if they have an informed choice, may try to sleep differently. If they can't they can't, and wearing Cpap probably can make a (or 'the') difference, but I think it's a good idea to let people know that back sleeping is not a great idea most of the time.