Another sleep drug: Belsomra (suvorexant)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jnk

Another sleep drug: Belsomra (suvorexant)

Post by jnk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Looks like Merk has got another drug to get pushed at the insomniacs.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 409950.htm

That should be good for some exciting after-hours trading among today's sleep-walking day-traders, eh?

According to some possibly-biased (ain't most all of 'em these days?) scientists:
"Suvorexant’s mechanism of action differs from that of the benzodiazepines and nonbenzodiazepines; it has no effect on GABA. Instead of promoting sleep, it inactivates wakefulness. Adverse effects commonly observed with benzodiazepines and nonbenzodiazepines are virtually eliminated. As a result, suvorexant can be used daily on a long-term basis with no risk of rebound insomnia or physical dependence." -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3989084/
Sounds like maybe a new useful tool, at least for some relatively rare situations? Dunno. Likely to get overused, either way, in my opinion.

(Full disclosure: I do own a few shares of Merk. But I don't think that qualifies this post as spam.)

markdh

Re: Another sleep drug: Belsomra (suvorexant)

Post by markdh » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I wonder what the cost will be. For one Lunesta tablet (for a sleep study) insurance wouldn't pay anything, so it cost me $12. That's $360 for 30 pills, way too much for me.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:22 pm

This is a bit problematic:

"The FDA asked the drug manufacturer, Merck, Sharpe & Dohme Corp., to study next-day driving performance in people who had taken Belsomra. The testing showed impaired driving performance in both male and female participants when the 20 mg strength was taken. Patients using the 20 mg strength should be cautioned against next-day driving or activities requiring full mental alertness. Patients taking lower doses should also be made aware of the potential for next-day driving impairment, because there is individual variation in sensitivity to the drug."

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:42 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:This is a bit problematic:

"The FDA asked the drug manufacturer, Merck, Sharpe & Dohme Corp., to study next-day driving performance in people who had taken Belsomra. The testing showed impaired driving performance in both male and female participants when the 20 mg strength was taken. Patients using the 20 mg strength should be cautioned against next-day driving or activities requiring full mental alertness. Patients taking lower doses should also be made aware of the potential for next-day driving impairment, because there is individual variation in sensitivity to the drug."
I think this is VERY problematic. How many people would actually take it if they are told 'don't drive the next day'? I'll bet docs don't specify that, but let the patient find out via the leaflets the pharmacy includes with prescriptions. Then, lots of people won't read the leaflets & will be let loose on the roads.

Why develop a drug for insomnia, then make the after effects last so far into the next day that it prevents the patient from driving? Who would take it if they can't work the next day? Sounds like Big Pharma is at it again - profit before patient.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

jnk

Post by jnk » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:32 pm

It might be worth noting that other sleep drugs have the same general problem, or similar problems, though. For example, Ambien:
If the 5 mg dose is not effective, the dose can be increased to 10 mg. In some patients, the higher morning blood levels following use of the 10 mg dose increase the risk of next day impairment of driving and other activities that require full alertness
http://www.drugs.com/pro/ambien.html

Lconnors

Post by Lconnors » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:54 am

All Insomnia drugs "may" cause sleepiness and impaired driving the next day. I personally can't way to try this as nothing else has worked and this is a whole new approach.

jnk

Post by jnk » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 am

Lconnors wrote:All Insomnia drugs "may" cause sleepiness and impaired driving the next day. I personally can't way to try this as nothing else has worked and this is a whole new approach.
Feel free to elaborate further on your experiences with other "insomnia drugs." Many here may be able to identify with, or learn from, your experiences.

xxboxers

Post by xxboxers » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 pm

This is my first post to this blog; I hope this is the appropriate place to comment on Belsomra. The drug became available at local pharmacies last week. Given my decades-long problem with insomnia my psychiatrist was hopeful that the new formulation would help.

I know each person has a unique reaction to a medication. Friday night I took a 10 mg tablet. I was up all night feeling like I was coming out of my skin. The next day I had heightened aggression, muscular control problems, muddled thinking, and repeated anxiety attacks. I will never take this medication again. I have only slept three hours each of the two nights since I took the Belsomra. It has been hell.

To answer some of the posted questions:
- 30/10mg cost $270 at my pharmacy;
- the medication came with extensive documentation about the possible side effects including multiple warnings not to drive or operate machinery;
- there were many side effects listed;

That's all I can think of. If anyone has questions about my experience I will try to answer them.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:15 pm

xxboxers wrote: - the medication came with extensive documentation about the possible side effects including multiple warnings not to drive or operate machinery;
I don't get it, I mean, the first thing I do after taking my sleeping pills is to go out and take the bulldozer for a spin.

if it's icky out, I fire up the bandsaw.... what could possibly go wrong?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

fdw

Post by fdw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:34 pm

palerider wrote:
xxboxers wrote: - the medication came with extensive documentation about the possible side effects including multiple warnings not to drive or operate machinery;
I don't get it, I mean, the first thing I do after taking my sleeping pills is to go out and take the bulldozer for a spin.

if it's icky out, I fire up the bandsaw.... what could possibly go wrong?
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0