Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tinben

Re: Have you had a COVID-19 Vaccine or have an appt?

Post by Tinben » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:26 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:01 pm
I am eagerly awaiting the appointment for my "Fauci ouchie".
We signed up a week ago, still no call back . . .
I love that “Fauci Ouchie”. My parents on the schedule for second dose of Maderna 4 days later than recommended. I don’t think that will make much a difference. My wife a school teacher and recently diagnosed with a cancer not scheduled til Feb/Mar. Me type 1 diabetes/kidney problems not scheduled until Mar/Apr. With the slow rollout I will do whatever I can to get us in as soon as possible. We will be spending much of February with the cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Resmed Autoset 10-For Her/Him
Resmed F30i

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm

I finally got us scheduled for our first shot on Feb 4. It took several tries to get us both scheduled at the same time. It will be a 45 mile drive each way, but I don't care. I'm just happy to get the shot. It will make a nice outing for us. :D

I did the scheduling through the state health department site. The state has set up a vaccination portal for scheduling the shots and vaccination pods to give the shots. These pods are in various locations around the state. The pods are located at hospitals, fairgrounds, churches, etc. I found out they post shot schedules for different pods at various times on Wednesday nights, and you need to be on the computer when it happens, or shortly there after or all slots are taken. They only schedule the number of vaccinations they are scheduled to receive the following week. This way, they hope they do not have to cancel scheduled shots.

Last edited by Okie bipap on Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am

khauser wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:45 pm
... and it happened! Showed up for my appt, was very quick. National Guard was controlling it at local school. Everyone stays in their car. Got vaccine and it was suggested to hang for 15 minutes in case of allergic response (which I did), and then off I went.

Hope round 2 goes as well!

(NH got this one much better than for instance, MA, right across the border)
Yup, I live in MA and the signup is proving to be a mess. 75+ are eligible presently and some folks at that age are having a difficult time signing up on the website due to the design of the website and it's been overwhelmed with people attempting to signup. I keep thinking Florida's governor should come to MA and show ours how its done. My wife and I are having doubts we'll get the shots when our phase opens up (72 and 66) the way the system is setup.
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/20 ... ators.html

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:27 pm

southerndoc wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:30 pm
khauser wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 am
khauser wrote:
... and it happened! Showed up for my appt, was very quick. National Guard was controlling it at local school. Everyone stays in their car. Got vaccine and it was suggested to hang for 15 minutes in case of allergic response (which I did), and then off I went.

... but I won't be able to get the 2nd shot until 3/24, about a month after ideal.

Win some, lose some.
There is evidence that you start developing antibodies at day 10. So if you get COVID, you'll probably have enough of an antibody response to prevent death or serious complications.
Yep, and with Moderna their are reports of first shot effectiveness getting as high as 80-something percent.

There's not a lot of studies on the result of a delayed 2nd shot ... but it is basically a booster, and it seems likely we'll need another of those at some point anyway (I would not be surprised if it became a yearly event).

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:29 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am
khauser wrote:

Yup, I live in MA and the signup is proving to be a mess. 75+ are eligible presently and some folks at that age are having a difficult time signing up on the website due to the design of the website and it's been overwhelmed with people attempting to signup. I keep thinking Florida's governor should come to MA and show ours how its done. My wife and I are having doubts we'll get the shots when our phase opens up (72 and 66) the way the system is setup.
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/20 ... ators.html
I am a bit surprised that MA is having the problems they have. They are using the same VAMS site (ie, CDC) that NH uses, I think. It must be something that happens between VAMS and MA...

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:57 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:27 pm

There's not a lot of studies on the result of a delayed 2nd shot ... but it is basically a booster, and it seems likely we'll need another of those at some point anyway (I would not be surprised if it became a yearly event).
when this mess first came out, was telling family that someday, this will just be another yearly jab.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

catfan

Post by catfan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:26 pm

I was on several lists but went with who asked me to the dance first -- the county health dept. (I am in Houston metro.) Pre-registered at the website (before it crashed...) Got a phone call Sunday 1/23 at 10:30 and was in line at 12:40 for a 1:30 appt! Long line, all standing, about 2 hours. I was okay but that was hard on some of those who would have brought a stool if they knew -- and the line was outdoors so we were lucky it did not rain. It was largely the over-65 crowd. Once I got the the building where they actually gave the shots -- Pfizer -- there were 20 needle stations. Pretty chilly too but at least not -74 :P . We had to wait 15 (or 30 mins) depending on "risk", but I was fine, then made 2nd appt for 2/13 before leaving. Next day my arm a little sore but no biggie.

Now I am hearing all sorts of reports from folks who've had the 2nd shot and it is really kicking some of them in the butt, so I am not looking forward to it. But better than the alternative for sure! I do NOT want to be in the hospital, on a ventilator, and alone.

Oh, we also got "swag" --- a package with 50 disposable masks, wipes, hand soap and sanitizer!

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:23 am
I keep thinking Florida's governor should come to MA and show ours how its done.

All that glitters isn't gold. My sister, age 75, lives in Florida in a retirement community. She isn't even close to getting the first shot as far as she knows. The majority of people where she lives are in the same position. She doesn't want to be like some of the older people you see in Florida on TV, standing outside in the middle of the night in the pouring rain. Don't think there is anything wonderful about FL's governor.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

Lucyhere

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:03 pm

catfan wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:26 pm

Now I am hearing all sorts of reports from folks who've had the 2nd shot and it is really kicking some of them in the butt, so I am not looking forward to it. But better than the alternative for sure! I do NOT want to be in the hospital, on a ventilator, and alone.
We got the Moderna - second shot Feb. 23. I have heard the same thing about the second shot. However, as you said, it's better than being on a ventilator.
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:54 pm

catfan wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:26 pm
... snip ...

Oh, we also got "swag" --- a package with 50 disposable masks, wipes, hand soap and sanitizer!
I lucked out on the county website a week after the Houston telephone disaster and got my shot on 1/14. We got no “swag”, but at least it was drive thru. One daughter in Round Rock got her tail kicked on the 2nd Moderna shot, i.e., fever, muscle aches and upset stomach. Now, I’m questioning if it’s a good thing for both my wife and myself getting 2nd shot at same appointment.

Berks

Post by Berks » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:07 pm

Got my second moderna dose this last Wednesday the 27 (had the first on 12/30).

After the first dose I had a mildly sore arm that started about 12 hrs after the shot and was gone after another 12 hours. No other symptoms.

After the second shot my arm was sore within a couple hours. After 24 hrs I started feeling dizzy. After 36 hrs started feeling fatigued and had a horrible nights sleep. After 48 totally hit by a bus with fatigue, dizziness, light-headedness, horrible headache, etc etc... I'm at 72 hrs and still feeling exhausted and lightheaded/dizzy. Headache is gone and the arm soreness is almost back to normal. I am feeling some bronchial irritation as well but that might be a coincidence.

But I strongly believe it is allll worth it.

(Fwiw I'm 36 - almost 37 - in good health outside of sleep apnea and being overweight and I got the vaccine because I work in healthcare)

klm49

Post by klm49 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:46 pm

Got my 2nd. Moderna shot today from Pharmacist. She said to be sure and keep the little CDC card they give you to show you had shots because we are likely to need a booster shot when one becomes available for the variants.

Resmed AirCurve10 Vauto w/humidifier
Amara View mask
O2 - 2-4 lpm

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

In case anyone else reading this is in NH, initially I was unable to schedule an appointment for my 2nd short until March 27th (the ideal day according to Moderna would be 2/23). Per NH email I got that new appointments for 2nd shot were being added, I cancelled that and sweated because no new appointments showed up for days, but today it happened and I was able to schedule it for 2/23, which is perfect.

Can't wait to have this part behind me ... not because I want to engage in any different activities, but just so that I can go to doctor' pharmacy, etc without wondering about every odd feeling I have for the next 2 weeks (is it covid THIS TIME?)

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:01 pm

khauser wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:46 pm

Can't wait to have this part behind me ... not because I want to engage in any different activities, but just so that I can go to doctor' pharmacy, etc without wondering about every odd feeling I have for the next 2 weeks (is it covid THIS TIME?)
yeah, that's the way i feel too. i haven't had ANY real sick days over the fall/winter, but getting back up here to the northwest and getting used to the climate can make me feel kinda lousy some days. so i have to keep reminding myself of what my body is going through. not covid YET.

another group i belong to is made up of mostly older people my age and older. we were bitching about the whole vaccine situation up here. a newer member spoke up and said "we've gotten this far. we can make it a bit more before we get the vaccine.".

he's right, of course. but that doesn't mean i can't still feel antsy about it some days.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:52 pm

khauser wrote:
Yep. I felt the same way until getting two weeks beyond the second dose. Gramps is now two weeks beyond his first dose and is feeling better about his chances. From what I understand, he is at a point where it would be rare to get a severe case.
khauser wrote:
initially I was unable to schedule an appointment for my 2nd short until March 27th (the ideal day according to Moderna would be 2/23)
I follow Vincent Racaniello's six or eight hours of podcasts every week. Vincent is one of the top virologists in the country, and he has a panel of various scientists and immunologists on his podcasts. They say the time period between the two doses (four weeks for Moderna) was just the way the trials were set up. It's a fairly short time period, and it was done this way to speed up the trials. They believe the vaccine would be even more effective if the time between doses was longer. They state as much as a year. Of course, for us, it would mean going longer without the added protection of the second dose.