New low for DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GTOJim

New low for DME

Post by GTOJim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Seems my wife's DME is attempting to hold her hostage. She recently ordered a new mask, today she learned they are refusing to provide the mask unless she brings in her SD card so they can download the data.

They won't allow a print out, they have to download the data and they will send a bill for it. I tried to pin them down a coupe times but the reason it is not allowed is a moving target.

I'm going to call her doctors office after they have lunch. Unfortunately she can't change DME's her insurance only allows Apria but somehow her doctor was able to switch her from Aperia to her current DME, it's either this or back to Apria. Apria isn't an option, the local branch is so bad.

Cpapian

Re: New low for DME

Post by Cpapian » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Isn't that an invasion of privacy

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:12 pm

GTOJim wrote:I'm going to call her doctors office after they have lunch.
Hope today is not the day the DME brings the monthly catered lunch to your doctor's office.

robysue

Post by robysue » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:16 pm

GTOJim wrote:Seems my wife's DME is attempting to hold her hostage. She recently ordered a new mask, today she learned they are refusing to provide the mask unless she brings in her SD card so they can download the data.

They won't allow a print out, they have to download the data and they will send a bill for it. I tried to pin them down a coupe times but the reason it is not allowed is a moving target.

I'm going to call her doctors office after they have lunch. Unfortunately she can't change DME's her insurance only allows Apria but somehow her doctor was able to switch her from Aperia to her current DME, it's either this or back to Apria. Apria isn't an option, the local branch is so bad.
Contact the INSURANCE company and let them know what this DME is trying to do.

The INSURANCE company is the one that pays the DME, and it's the one that's making your wife use this DME. So complain directly to them. The doc can't help you since he's not the reason.

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:17 pm

Just spoke with a very nice person in the doctors office. She personally walked the download from the last visit to her doc.
She just called back and said the DME already has that download, stating the insurance requires a compliance report from the last 90 days. I'm going to print out the report, scan and email it to her, she will personally walk it down stairs to the DME for us.

This is a new one on me, my wifes CPAP was paid off a year ago. I've been on the hose about 15 years and never run into this BS. I no longer have the same insurance as my wife as I've been on medicare for six years.

In recent years I have needed a yearly prescription for supplies but it's the first I've every heard of insurance requiring a compliance report for a mask.

Regarding the privacy comment, I'm not sure if it's directed at me or the DME? My wife has given her insurance authorization to speak to speak on her behalf. In this case contacting her doctors office I'm asking for help clearing things up with her DME. Not asking for any personal info. I usually tag along with my wife's visits to her sleep doctor. She wants me to go, I have a better understanding, I setup her machine and determined her pressure settings, her doc is ok with it.. In fact he looked at me for approval when he suggested moving her from a BiPap to a auto CPAP when she needed a new machine. I was surprised when he did it, he is a very nice person and a doctor who cares.

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Regarding contacting her insurance, I had several long conversations with them in the past. Unfortunately if it's not in front of them on a computer screen I'm wasting my breath and time contacting them. Regarding billing issues etc, I'm told to contact the DME. Seems they can not or will not provide that type of information. I've spoken with several CS representatives, supervisors and it's always the same answer, contact your DME.

Years ago with different insurance we received statements showing the amount billed, the amount allowed, the amount insurance paid and the amount the DME is allowed to bill us. The Insurance told us never pay the DME until we get a statement from our insurance.

How I miss those days.

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:14 pm

I was tempted to damage the SD card then give it to them, after they cant download the data, say oh well.

Once my wife's card was damaged after a visit to her docs office and downloaded the data. It was obvious right away, her CPAP had an error message when she put the card back in the machine. Since then I've always done a print out to give her doctor.

I have always given my sleep docs print outs, it's never been a problem. Although my current sleep doc really insisted on one visit I bring my card. It was the only time in about 15 years on the hose and having several sleep docs. A DME has never asked for my card, my doc's must have taken care of it. Or I've been lucky.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:29 pm

GTOJim wrote: Once my wife's card was damaged after a visit to her docs office and downloaded the data.
Anytime any 3rd party has their hands on my SD card, I always format it (Using SD Formatter) before I put it back in my APAP.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:15 pm

xxyzx wrote: ==========

all the DMEs make you sign hippa waivers when you sign up
I don't think that you can be forced to sign a HIPAA. Maybe you could be denied some service but not sure about that even.
For the modem access thing (which I don't have) I would prob want to modify their form to grant myself access to anything they have access to.
IF you don't want the DME to have access to the modem then do NOT sign the release tho that could have other consequences.

Most often it is the insurance that requires the DME to maintain proof the equipment is being used (so they can get paid) and the patient is benefiting from said use. But I think it is the doc who determines if the patient is benefiting.

Of course the other option is to not use insurance.

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:44 pm

That's an excellent suggestion to format the card before using it again. But with all the ransomware etc going around these days, I'm not comfortable sticking a SD card in my computer after it's been in a doctors or DME's computer. With all the SD cards they read every day there is no telling how much nasty stuff might be lurking in their computers.

Going forward with SD cards so cheap these days. I would rather make a copy for them and then toss the card after they finish.

I recently had a real nasty virus in my computer. I use three anti virus programs, not all running at the same time. One always running in the background the others do daily scans. None detected the virus, I ran at least a dozen different anti virus programs before one detected it and could not remove it. I restored my computer from a six month old image. I lost a lot of stuff by going back six months but it was worth it to me to insure that virus gone. I don't get a virus very often but that was by far the worst.

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:08 pm

Jim there is a Free program called No-Script which can prevent you from accessing sites that may contain malware. It is a pain to setup but it pretty effective. Another good program is Malware bites - it doesn't always run and you can keep it free if you never turn on the 30 day trial.
HTH

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like Malwarebytes and several years ago purchased a lifetime license which is still honored. Surprisingly Malwarebytes was totally useless against that virus, it even prevented Chameleon from running. I tried every version more than once, even downloaded it again to be sure. The virus disabled Malwarebytes, Bitdefender, Windows Defender etc. Running Bitdefender off a bootable CD was the only program that found it.

I believe I have used mbam in the past, a quick search to refresh my memory found some info about with Bitlocker. guess I was wrong. I will look into it, thanks.

I'll also look into the suggestion about no script. I try to be careful with the sites I access these days, mostly sticking with sites I trust.

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:21 am

It seems Microsoft also uses the term mbam, that's what came up first with a quick search. mbam is by Malwarebytes, i should have known that, but did a quick search to be sure and found MS term first.

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:39 am

GTOJim wrote:I try to be careful with the sites I access these days, mostly sticking with sites I trust.
Me too. Common sense can go a long ways. I haven't been infected in over 15yrs.

What was the name of the virus you had?

GTOJim

Post by GTOJim » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 am

Going 15 years without a virus is really amazing. Congratulations. I'm very sorry but I can't remember the name of the virus.