Any ideas? Hypopnea

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dogjudge

Any ideas? Hypopnea

Post by Dogjudge » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 am

For about 5-6 months everything has been great. In the last 3 - 4 weeks things have been getting progressively worse.

For me, when my hypopneas start going over 15, I start having issues. I'm now running in the 30s.

The more of those that happen, the more times I'll wake up during the night. Last night it was maybe 15 times. Usually for 15-30 minutes.

Nothing has changed in the last 6 months in terms of medications, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'll also post yesterday.

Dogjudge

Re: Any ideas? Hypopnea

Post by Dogjudge » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:52 am

Here's the one from Saturday.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Dogjudge wrote:For about 5-6 months everything has been great. In the last 3 - 4 weeks things have been getting progressively worse.

For me, when my hypopneas start going over 15, I start having issues. I'm now running in the 30s.
Do you mean the total number of hypopneas instead of the hypopnea index (HI)?
The more of those that happen, the more times I'll wake up during the night. Last night it was maybe 15 times. Usually for 15-30 minutes.
Again, I'm trying to grasp what you are saying. Are you saying you remember waking up 15 times or so and that each time was for 15-30 minutes? Or are you saying that you remember waking up 15 times or so and that it took you about 1-2 minutes to get back to sleep, so you were awake for a grand total of 15-30 minutes over the entire night?

Any ideas?
First a question: On the data for 7/24, there's a whopping 2.5 hour break in the data from 2:10 to 4:50. What happened during that time? Were you out of bed because you couldn't get back to sleep? Or did you take the mask off and sleep without it for 2.5 hours?

As for ideas: You are running in a pretty wide range (8-15), and it's clear that the machine is having trouble responding rapidly enough to the clusters of Hs. You probably need to increase the minimum pressure, and my guess is that you would have significantly fewer Hs if the minimum pressure were set at 10cm instead of 8cm.

If you don't have any problems with aerophagia, you could try just bumping the min pressure up from 8 to 10 in one night. But if you have any problems tolerating 8 cm when you are trying to get to sleep, I'd suggest increasing the min pressure only 1cm at a time.

In other words, if this were my data, I'd be inclined to bump the min pressure up to 9cm and leave it there for about 4 or 5 days to see if the number of Hs goes down. And I'd reevaluate the data at the end of those 4 or 5 days: If I was still seeing too many Hs, I'd bump the min pressure up again to 10cm and use that 4 or 5 days to see if the number of Hs goes down to an acceptable number.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Next time you do an image sharing click on "large thumbnail" first and then copy that last line in the box of addresses...then your image won't be so huge and off screen.

As to why the increase in hyponeas.....dunno. You probably need a little more minimum pressure for some reason.
As to why...unless it is related to sleeping position I can't think of anything if nothing else has changed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dogjudge

Post by Dogjudge » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the responses.

The hypopneas are the number from statistics.

Right now, I'm going to push the minimum pressure up to 10 for a week and see what happens.

Thanks again.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Dogjudge wrote:Thanks for the responses.

The hypopneas are the number from statistics.
Which statistics? The number of events listed in the events tab? Or the HI listed in the main summary data?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Your hyponea index isn't horrible but since it is more than you want to see and you feel like your sleep quality is suffering then it's worth trying to reduce the number happening.
Usually hyponeas are fairly easy to kill. Most of the time when we see them in these numbers and not associated with same number of OAs as little as 0.5 or 1.0 cm minimum increase will kill them fairly easily.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.