running out of water in humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: running out of water in humidifier

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 am

debbiep54 wrote:My machine seems to hardly use any water. so I am at the other end of your dilemma. i would think the humidifier would help w/ congestion but I have more congestion now than i have ever had in my life. Urgh.
Some people need more added moisture and some people need less. It all depends on the person.
If your machine isn't using much water it isn't adding much moisture to the air.
What machine are you using? At what setting on the humidifier?
Please add your equipment to your profile so we can see at a glance what you are using and offer ideas based on your equipment.
Helps us help you better and faster.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Pugsy,
I was surprised to hear my CPAP machine is a "brick." I definitely feel rested after using it. But since it's obvious it's not a top of the line model, what should I look for the next time I get a CPAP machine?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 pm

sleepyinmississippi wrote:I was surprised to hear my CPAP machine is a "brick." I definitely feel rested after using it. But since it's obvious it's not a top of the line model, what should I look for the next time I get a CPAP machine?
Check out this blog
http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/

If you want to find a full data machine later and buy it yourself you will want to get one that will work with your humidifier to save money...unless you find a steal of a deal.

In the PR System One 50 series (that's what your humidifier is) that would be either the PR System One Pro CPAP with CFlex and that model is 450.
You could also use model 550 with is the PR System One Auto CPAP with AFlex....it has APAP and CPAP mode available.

You might check with mcdover to see if he happens to have one. Gently used machines and his prices are quite fair.
I have bought from him...he's trustworthy
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83637&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
You can also shop your local craigslist but you really have to know your machine models because it can be confusing.

I don't know your insurance situation or how long you have had this machine or if you are in a rent to own stage or what compliance requirements you might have. You know if you haven't had it very long why not just ask for a better machine...the 150 doesn't even have exhale relief. All they can do is say no.
If you have compliance requirements and you can't get the machine swapped out....satisfy those requirements and if you a curious about your data for any reason and you can find a full data machine that you can afford...delegate the 150 to back up status.
It a good machine in terms of therapy. You may not miss the exhale relief and it's only real drawback is the lack of any useful data and the data may not be a critical issue for you. That has to be your decision.

In other words the 150 will provide effective therapy as long as leaks aren't excessive and your pressure settings are optimal.
Only problem being you don't have any way to verify things being optimal except how you feel.
For a lot of people that is sufficient. They feel great...sleep great...much improved...no need to fix anything so they just don't care about the data. For me (being a data hound) it would drive me nuts but you may be totally cool with it.

BTW it's a good idea to have a back up machine anyway.. If the pocketbook permits.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Pugsy wrote: The fill level of the tank shouldn't make any difference in rain out in the tube because rain out is a function of the humidifier setting and room temperature and not the amount of water in the tank. If you are using a PR S1 machine...ambient room humidity is a factor.
The fill level makes a difference on mine. If I go past the MAX line, I get popping, gurgling, and water in the air hose.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:58 pm

JeffL wrote: The fill level makes a difference on mine. If I go past the MAX line, I get popping, gurgling, and water in the air hose.
Yeah, I have done that with my S9 machine. Makes an awful mess everywhere to have to clean up. That's because the pressurized air blows the water into the hole that goes to the hose sort of causing a white cap like on the lake on a windy day. That's really not rain out or condensation...that's just me not paying attention.

The PR S1 machines aren't easy at all to get water in the hose via air blowing over it into the hose. Instead if we over fill it the excess goes out a little hole in the tank.
It's pretty much impossible for the PR S1 humidifier to do what the S9 can have happen.
OP has a PR S1 machine so I didn't feel the need to explain about the S9 little quirk.

archangle

Post by archangle » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 am

sleepyinmississippi wrote:To all:
Thanks again for such thorough responses to my posts.
Here are my responses to your questions/comments:
One response was: "Sorry but that sounds like you're filling the tank without removing it from the humidifier. I suspect that's not what you mean, but that would be a really bad idea. on a PRS1 machine." I do remove the humidifier from the CPAP (or blower device?) but I don't remove the tray within the humidifier--as I didn't know that was possible. But am I interpreting your comments correctly--do I need to remove the tray from the humidifier--and completely avoid filling the humidifier from the spout (or whatever it's called) on top of the humidifier?
Obviously, I need to read the online manual PUgsy listed (thanks, Pugsy, BTW.)
Also, regarding a 3-digit model number--the only 3 number I could find was under the CPAP where it says "REF 150P." Is there another number that I should look for?
Another CPAPTalker suggested perhaps I'm breathing out of my mouth. I will have to re-read my sleep study report--but I'm almost positive there was no mention of being a mouth-breather.
Okay--I think I responded to everyone's posts.
Please respond to my comments above at your earliest convenience. And thanks again for everyone's help!
--SleepyInMississippi
This is how your remove the water tank.

Here's the water tank or chamber. Take it out any time you move the machine, even just moving it on the table. You don't want to risk spilling water into the blower unit. Take it out of the machine to fill it.

Here's a topless pic of the water tank. (SFW) The tank comes apart. This is the manufacturer's recommended way to fill the tank. Be sure to not fill above the fill line.

Pugsy and I take the tank out of the humidifier to fill it, but have found we can fill it without separating the tank into two pieces once you figure out which way to tilt it. Do it over a sink and double check that you haven't overfilled it before you put it back in your machine. Set it level in the sink and slosh it around a bit to get rid of any excess water.

The picture below is the blower unit (left) with the humidifier on the right.

There's normally no reason to ever separate the humidifier from the blower unless you're replacing or repairing something or want to travel without the humidifier.

If you have an air leak, either around the mask, or out your mouth, more air blows through the machine. More air evaporates the water faster. Leaks screw up your therapy in other ways as well.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks Archangle

Bryan050876

To bucksbeek re breathing out of mouth

Post by Bryan050876 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Hi Bucksbeek - it's been a while since you posted about breathing out of your mouth and the corresponding water level but I wanted to share my thoughts and situation with you. I use the nasal pillows (Godsend) and a chin strap. I use the chin strap because I thought the whole idea was to keep my mouth closed through the duration of my sleep. Unfortunately, right now my humidifier is working off and on (my machine is 3 years old this month) but I will tell you that when it does work (and it works throughout the night) I'm waking up with my mouth open, dry as a bone of course, and the water level goes down. When the humidifier doesn't want to work, I'm still waking up with my mouth open and the water level stays full. I hope that helps you in some way.

Luckily, I have an appointment with my neurologist at the sleep clinic I went to 3 years ago and I'm hoping he may order another sleep study because I've lost about 50 pounds and sometimes losing weight helps sleep apnea. However, a pulmonologist explained to me that it has more to do with the structure of your jaw and neck bones as well as the girth in your neck. So, I guess I'll find out at the end of this month and due to insurance I'll have to wait to see the doctor for him to write me a new prescription for the CPAP (and get a brand new machine). I can wait, considering the insurance paid for the last one and the sleep study. Both the sleep study and CPAP machine was over six thousand dollars.

Good luck to you - and I think it was Pugsly that posted something about changing the settings when the humidifier isn't working. I'm going to try that. I hate having to breathe cold air.

Best,

Bryan

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm

debbiep54 wrote:My machine seems to hardly use any water. so I am at the other end of your dilemma. i would think the humidifier would help w/ congestion but I have more congestion now than i have ever had in my life. Urgh.
There are several variables at play in your query.

Where is your machine in your bedroom? Mine is right near a window that is slightly open 365 days a year.

#2: If you have a window that's open, in what type of climate do you reside? If you're in a humid and warm clime, you might not need much water because the atmosphere is naturally humid. I live in NE Illinois where we our weather ranges from -20° and dry as a bone in winter to 102° and darned tropical in summer. The equipment lady told me that I'll probably not need the humidifier from late May to mid-September barring a wacko weather trend.

Third question comes from the last one: What temperature do you keep your bedroom? We like ours cool. Some fellow CPAPers like theirs downright (to me at least) hot and keep it near 80° in the winter.

Final question is what do you want out of the humidifier? To me, all I want it to do is help my lips and throat to stay relatively moist. In retirement, much of my time is spent either playing or singing music. Dry lips would affect my horn-playing and a sandy throat would cause many to wonder if I took up smoking.

Good luck!