CPAP insomina and trazadone

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepyinmississippi

CPAP insomina and trazadone

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:13 pm

To my fellow hose heads:
HAs anyone used trazadone for CPAP insomina-and if so are there any common side effects I should be aware of?
I ask this after a confusing and discouraging visit to my DME where they suggested/prescribed trazadone. As a chronic migraine patient, I'm reluctant to take one more pill every day.
If anyone knows of any helpful guided imagery URL's that would be helpful.

Thanks,
(Still) sleep in mississippi

49er

Re: CPAP insomina and trazadone

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:17 am

sleepyinmississippi wrote:To my fellow hose heads:
HAs anyone used trazadone for CPAP insomina-and if so are there any common side effects I should be aware of?
I ask this after a confusing and discouraging visit to my DME where they suggested/prescribed trazadone. As a chronic migraine patient, I'm reluctant to take one more pill every day.
If anyone knows of any helpful guided imagery URL's that would be helpful.

Thanks,
(Still) sleep in mississippi
Hi,

Here is a good site:

http://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html

Don't know of any guided imagery sites but I am sure if you do a google search, you should be able to find some.

49er

simplyme

Post by simplyme » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 am

I took trazadone a few years back, for sleep… never again!
I do not know if this is a common side effect or just me, but I had extremely vivid dreams to the point that I could not tell reality from the dream! But I really got worried when I started having hallucinations during the day!
So definitely talk to your doctor and follow up with them if you do take it and notice any side effects.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:50 am

simplyme wrote:I took trazadone a few years back, for sleep… never again!
I do not know if this is a common side effect or just me, but I had extremely vivid dreams to the point that I could not tell reality from the dream! But I really got worried when I started having hallucinations during the day!
So definitely talk to your doctor and follow up with them if you do take it and notice any side effects.
I took it many years ago and found that unless I got up very slowly, I would get dizzy. One time, I forgot to do that and fell to the kitchen floor and severely bruised my knee. I was lucky I didn't hit my head.

I also remember it causing nasal stuffiness which couldn't have been good for my nasal congestion issues.

But in all fairness, many people swear by it so that is a good thing.

49er

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:54 am

It gave me (within 10 days) overnight respiratory issues (many years before OSA) so I stopped taking it.

Dreamingofsleep

Post by Dreamingofsleep » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:37 am

Hi fellow insomniac,
I took Trazadone for years, just a very small dose. I didn't have many side effects and it helped a little...but not nearly enough.

I think I was taking 1/2 a pill.

I am still struggling to sleep continuous through the night...newbie to cpap so some of it is the cpap and issues there. I do find that I can breathe better and I think I sleep deeper when I do sleep now

All the best and feel free to email me and compare notes

Dreaming

sleepyinmississippi

Post by sleepyinmississippi » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 pm

To 49er, Simplyme, Julie and Dreaming of Sleep,
Thank you all for your posts. I appreciate everyone's help.
Dreaming-of-sleep, I may email you from time-to-time if I find any helpful hints of beating CPAP insomina (and feel free to email me, if you come up with any medicine-free techniques of getting sleep on CPAP.)
--Sleepyinmississippi

~Q~

Post by ~Q~ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

I have tried trazadone and it makes me incredibly goggy the next morning, as if sleep apnea alone wasn't enough. For me, trazadone would be a horrible sleep aid with my sleep apnea condition.

I personally use a small dose of ambien to help me go to sleep fairly quickly. Once I get used to my new CPAP gear, I'm planning to tapper off the ambien.

Q