Got a new machine from DME, should I be happy?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scooter133

Got a new machine from DME, should I be happy?

Post by scooter133 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:46 pm

It's a Remstar Auto-Aflex. Looks like this one: https://www.cpap.com/cpap-machine/respi ... -flex.html

It's the same machine that they Dr office used for the titration testing. I used Sleepy head to get the data off before I took it back to the dr. I said how mich better it was and she was going to try and convince the DME that it was necessary for me to have the Auto machine over my old fixed pressure machine that's not due for replacement till September.

I don't want to kick a gift Horse in the mouth, but if I have to pay for this thing, I don't want a dud either. The data I got from Sleepyhead seemed pretty adequate.

Should I be happy with this unit?

Thanks!

greatunclebill

Re: Got a new machine from DME, should I be happy?

Post by greatunclebill » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:57 pm

what don't you like about it to think you wouldn't like it? my wife and i each have one and are very happy with them. they do have a new 60 series out now, but its so new software don't work with it yet.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:02 pm

Looks like isn't good enough. Make sure it is that machine. If you look closer at the site you'll see that all the machines in a series look alike but don't all have the same features. That's the one you want. The other top of the line machine is the ResMed S9 Autoset. If you liked the PRS1 I would stick with it.

scooter133

Post by scooter133 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:03 am

what don't you like about it to think you wouldn't like it?
From a few searches it looks like the machine came out in 2009, though it looks Brand New. Says its the 550P version. I've been using the Loaner from the Dr Office and this is the same unit that they Loaned out. I dont really have any issues with it. Could be quieter, though it is better than my Old MSeries. I would have thought they would of given me a choice/option like they did with my old MSeries. This unit jsut showed up at my front door yesterday and before I take it out and set it up I wanted to know if I should or ask for something else...

I'm new to the data thing since the M Series I have does not have a SD Card. When I plug in the card to Sleepy Head, Its got all kinds of good stuff I dont understand in there! (-;

Thanks,

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:14 am

The PR System One machines were introduced in the fall of 2009.
Those machines didn't have the "backlight" on the LCD screen to make it easy to see the screen.
In the late winter or early spring of 2011 Respironics made some changes to the firmware and there was the addition of the backlight for the LCD screen as well as some minor improvements with the noise level. So it is possible that if this particular machine is a new (as in hours of use) machine but a 09 model it may not be as quiet (we are talking 2 or 3 decibels here) as the later PR S1 machines. I used to have a 2010 model PR S1 APAP with out the backlight. I didn't find that the noise was a problem but then I always felt that my M series machine was near silent.

If you found the sticker on the bottom of the blower and it starts with 2009...that pretty much means that year. The coding goes year/month/day.

When your first plug your machine in to electric source and it lights up..the firmware version will show up.. What does it say?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

scooter133

Post by scooter133 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:56 pm

Pugsy wrote: If you found the sticker on the bottom of the blower and it starts with 2009...that pretty much means that year. The coding goes year/month/day.

When your first plug your machine in to electric source and it lights up..the firmware version will show up.. What does it say?
20120216, and it's backlit. Annoyingly backlit... Firmware is v2.51

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:18 pm

scooter133 wrote:20120216, and it's backlit. Annoyingly backlit... Firmware is v2.51

February 16, 2012...the latest I think.

Annoyingly backlit? The light goes off after a few seconds doesn't it? Mine did. My humidifier light stays on though.
Some of the latest had menu choices for humidifier lights and beeps..does yours....it will be in the clinical setup section of the therapy menu.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

robysue

Post by robysue » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 pm

scooter133 wrote:
Pugsy wrote: If you found the sticker on the bottom of the blower and it starts with 2009...that pretty much means that year. The coding goes year/month/day.

20120216, and it's backlit. Annoyingly backlit... Firmware is v2.51
Yours is a brand new machine manufactured on Feb. 16, 2012, with the latest firmware.

It is true that the System Ones came out in 2009, but they are still the most up-to-date models in the Respironics line. The Resmed S9 series came out sometime in 2010, so as a model line, it is roughly the same age; the S9s are still the most up-to-date models in the Resmed line.

As for the annoying backlit part of the machine: Is it the LCD? That should turn off a few seconds to a couple of minutes after you start therapy.

Or is the annoying backlit part the little wave icon that indicates the humidifier is on? On my April 2011 System One machine, I can turn off the backlit lights for the humidity level numbers, but the little wave icon that is just below and to the left of the large knob will not turn off. And it is annoyingly bright. I slapped a piece of black electrical tape on top of that icon to block it off so it doesn't keep me awake.