Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
wiltfarm

Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV

Post by wiltfarm » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 pm

I have mixed apneas. My doctor wants me to get a different machine since my current one does not seem to be working for me. What is the differences between the Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV. I am wanting to get the best machine since either one is covered under my insurance.

JohnBFisher

Re: Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV

Post by JohnBFisher » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:45 am

wiltfarm wrote:I have mixed apneas. My doctor wants me to get a different machine since my current one does not seem to be working for me. What is the differences between the Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV. I am wanting to get the best machine since either one is covered under my insurance.
Greetings! First, let me note that both of those are the older machines. For a true current comparison you will want the newer machines:

Respironics unit is now based on the System One chassis and is called their "BiPAP Auto SV Advanced - System One":
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/us_en ... efault.wpd

And latest unit from Resmed is based on their S9 chassis and is called their "S9 VPAP Adapt":
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_vp ... nc=dealers

My comparison of these units is based on my understanding from this forum, from reading their websites, and my USE of their older ASV units.

As you know, they do essentially the same thing. They act as Adaptive Servo-Ventilators (they sustain your breathing by increasing the pressure to help sustain respiration even when you fail to breathe due to a central sleep apnea.

Of the two, you can think of the Resmed as the "sporty" model. It sticks to your breathing pattern a little more tightly. Some people find this means they fight with the machine. That is, we don't all breathe very precisely. We sometimes breathe more slowly, sometimes more rapidly. The machine will INSIST that you breathe even if you are not. The Resmed is designed to have a little looser feel to it. This means that it waits a little longer to be certain you have the chance to breathe if you want. If your breathing pattern is all over the place, a little bit of "regiment" can help you get better sleep. But you will need to learn to accept the machine's insistence.

Secondly, the Respironics machine includes more bells and whistles. That can be good and bad. Sometimes a sleep lab will tweak a parameter until it causes poor sleep. Not good. We often then have to help someone tweak it to the point that they can again sleep well. For instance, setting the rise time or BPM (Breaths Per Minute) to some value other than AUTO can make sleep and life miserable for patient. The machine on AUTO does a GREAT job of adjusting to normal changes in your breathing pattern.

But all those parameters can be good. For instance the Resmed unit only has one inspiratory pressure. The Respironics unit allows a range. This allows the Respironics unit to act as an Auto BiPAP - that is as a BiLevel unit that adjusts the inspiratory pressure up and down as needed to address the changing pressure need to clear obstructions during the night. Obstructions on your back are usually worse than on your side. Thus, the machine would increase pressure to clear the obstruction while on your back and decrease pressure while on your side. If you have problems with swallowing the air, that ability to provide the pressure that you need can be a godsend!

Additionally, both of the new units are supported by the SleepyHead software. It will allow you to better monitor your therapy.

I use both of the older units. They have their advantages and disadvantages. If I had to choose just one, I would probably choose the Respironics unit. One disadvantage is that the Respironics unit is a tad bit noisier (but they are all fairly quiet - compared to the older units). Still, I would probably go with that, if I had to pick just one.

Hope that helps.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Mary Z

Re: Respironics BIPAP Auto SV vs Resmed VPAP Adapt SV

Post by Mary Z » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 am

I can't speak to the differences as I have only used the Respironics System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced for one month. I really like this machine, it is very comfortable. I never feel any pressure changes (must be asleep), but my usual pressure support is 5.3. My EPAP min/max is 8, PS 4-12. BPM auto. Max pressure 20. I am still working with the software, EncorePro 2.0 to understand what is happening. My average one month AHI has gone from 28 to 10.9. I have nights where it is under 5. I think it will take from three to six months to fully benefit from the machine. I am sure the ResMed is a good machine. I used a VPAP Auto 25 for three years and liked it very much. With the system one I never feel the machine fighting me, forcing me to take a breath- like I said I don't even feel the pressure changes.
Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.