OT - Very Powerful Message

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ems

Re: OT - Very Powerful Message

Post by ems » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:54 am

Madalot wrote:
Sir NoddinOff wrote:Most of the people on this forum, if not virtually all, are a privileged group that is 'rich' enough to have a decent life - at least they don't seem to suffer from extreme pestilence, war and starvation. For a lot of the world, all those messages from 'fourteen year old girls' boil down to: Can I get enough food to keep my family and myself alive today? Will some extremist kook kill us today? Will a nasty disease take me out? That's not to put down positive attitude, which I personally think is a great thing, but there are certain pre-conditions that make it easier to keep a rosy outlook on life. Sorry, but that's harsh reality. Anyway, here's wishing you all peace, love and prosperity. Also, consider giving some money or time to any number of charities... it'll make you feel good and do others a world of good.
You are absolutely right, Sir NoddinOff. Those of us that have a roof over our heads, food in our stomachs and NOT worry about the things you list -- ARE privileged, but we sometimes behave like spoiled brats that could use a good ass whipping (referring to some of the nasty threads of late).

So many people, including people on this forum, believe they have it so badly and they don't think for a minute about those that truly ARE less fortunate.

There's that saying that if everyone had to throw their troubles into a tub and pull out a different set of troubles, most people would take their own back after reading what others are enduring.
My parents said that to me many times when I was old enough to understand it. And, as I got older, it became my kids' turn to hear it.

I wish you and Sir peace, love and good health.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Comparisons do seem awkward; too close to freudenschade sometimes.
But when I see people with great attitudes, in spite of worse situations, it makes me think.
I can see how I can feel better by only changing my thoughts.
Freudenschade: good word CF... I had to look it up. Would you qualify someone who gives to charity in the same category? They just do it because it makes them feel good, or do they do it to help a fellow human being?

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

ems

Post by ems » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:40 pm

Sir NoddinOff wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Comparisons do seem awkward; too close to freudenschade sometimes.
But when I see people with great attitudes, in spite of worse situations, it makes me think.
I can see how I can feel better by only changing my thoughts.
Freudenschade: good word CF... I had to look it up. Would you qualify someone who gives to charity in the same category? They just do it because it makes them feel good, or do they do it to help a fellow human being?

When I help someone (in whatever way) it makes me feel good.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:48 pm

Noctuary wrote:I don't buy the notion that we should feel good by comparing ourselves to those who are in worse conditions.
Comparative gratitude can be an emotional lifeline when it comes from within, a perspective we have embraced. I doubt any of us appreciate it much from without. It feels like our suffering is being diminished or invalidated. I personally have benefited those smack-in-the-face realizations a few times. Other times, not so much. Hope you find some relief.