klonopin causes thinking problems?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sickwithapnea17

klonopin causes thinking problems?

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 pm

does klonopin cause memory problems or problems with thinking? I've been having these cognitive problems and I don't know why but I think it was before klonopin.
18/14 bipap st

ems

Re: klonopin causes thinking problems?

Post by ems » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Benzodiazepines can cause memory/thinking problems in some people. This is something that needs to be discussed with the prescribing physician.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:51 am

what happens with benza withdrawal? the wikipedia article says that klonopin and benzas long term may cause memory loss and other cognitive problems

I was taking 0.5mg-1mg night to sleep through the night on bipap and it seemed to help my sleep somehow (reduces electrical activity?)
but I noticed some memory, focus problems lately.
18/14 bipap st

VVV

Post by VVV » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:49 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:what happens with benza withdrawal?

I was taking 0.5mg-1mg night to sleep through the night on bipap and it seemed to help my sleep somehow (reduces electrical activity?)

At the dosage you indicate it is very unlikely that you would experience any noticeable withdrawal symptoms.

If you want to be on the safe side taper to 0.5 mg nightly for one week and then 0.25 mg (cut the pill) for a second week before quitting entirely.

With the small dosage you have been taking significant cognitive problems should not occur. I would be more concerned about how many breathing events are occurring and how much good sleep you are actually getting.

What electrical activity are you trying to reduce? Do you know the root cause of your inability to sleep? Do you have restless legs syndrome?
.....................................V

sickwithapnea17

Post by sickwithapnea17 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:09 am

I think klonopin helps my central sleep apnea. the depressing of breathing side effects only occur at higher doses and at lower doses it acts more like a sedative?
for over a year I couldn't sleep more than one hour on bipapst for some reason and finally taking klonopin helps me get enough therapy
I have anxiety and my legs twitch as I'm about to fall asleep. I'm just speculating if central apnea is somehow related to electrical activity in the brain
but really it's better not to take any drugs if you can but for me I was losing brain function without the drugs so I thought I was avoiding brain damage
18/14 bipap st

VVV

Post by VVV » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:25 am

sickwithapnea17 wrote:
I have anxiety and my legs twitch as I'm about to fall asleep.
I will try again. Have you been screened for RLS by a medical professional who knows what they are doing?
.....................................V

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:34 am

V,

Kudos for trying! Maybe you will be successful, but then again it just might unfortunately lead to more un-answed questions...

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:18 pm

2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:V,

Kudos for trying! Maybe you will be successful, but then again it just might unfortunately lead to more un-answed questions...

John
John,

As an FYI, when one is dealing with cognitive issues as sick with apnea is dealing with, they are going to miss what may seem like obvious questions.

When I responded to someone's PM on another apnea board, I could barely compose the message due to cognitive issues. It would been easy for me to miss things.

V, as someone who used to be on psych meds, it is very possible to have side effects on small doses. I developed severe akisthesia from taking 5mg of Celexa. No, I was not imagining as it was quite real unfortunately. It is a miracle I survived that.

Sick with apnea, how long have you been on the Klonopin?

49er

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:05 pm

49er,

I was not saying it to be mean, harsh, or un-sympathetic; I was basing my comment off a history of past posts and nothing else. There are quite a few here who have given many heartfelt responses, trying their best to help, up to telling them to seek medical help for the many unfortunate issues being dealt with, but their efforts go either un-noticed or un-acknowledged. My heart truly goes out this person and to anyone dealing with any medical issue, no matter the cause.

I now realize I should not have said anything as VVV is wise enough and intelligent enough, to know if or when to respond without any additional comments from me. Sorry.

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:09 pm

My apologies John as you are 100% correct about the efforts that have been made regarding this person. I responded prematurely so you definitely aren't at fault.

49er
2 B Sleeping Soundly wrote:49er,

I was not saying it to be mean, harsh, or un-sympathetic; I was basing my comment off a history of past posts and nothing else. There are quite a few here who have given many heartfelt responses, trying their best to help, up to telling them to seek medical help for the many unfortunate issues being dealt with, but their efforts go either un-noticed or un-acknowledged. My heart truly goes out this person and to anyone dealing with any medical issue, no matter the cause.

I now realize I should not have said anything as VVV is wise enough and intelligent enough, to know if or when to respond without any additional comments from me. Sorry.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 pm

49er,

Thank you for your kind response, I really appreciate it!

Here's to sleep filled nights and rested days...

John

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:04 pm

I find all the arrogant people on this forum attacking me to be frankly DISGUSTING and VILE
go see a psychiatrist for your issues instead of taking out your problems on me!!!

ems

Post by ems » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:49 pm

No one is attacking you in this thread, SickwithApnea17. Since you joined this Forum in September, 2011, people have gone overboard suggesting various things to you in order to help you feel better. You take none of the suggestions seriously and then insult people here by saying we are attacking you. You don't have to worry about anyone "attacking" you any longer. I doubt that many people will continue responding to your posts.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:20 am

ems,

Thank you for responding to the post from Swa17. I wanted to respond but did not know how to go about it. I certainly did not want to make matters worse. Your response was the honest truth and what I would have wanted to say had I been able to come up with the words. I hope someday that Swa17 is able to find, receive, and then accept, the help and support they obviously want and need.

Thanks again.

John