Medical grade tape to keep lips sealed

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoomzoom

Medical grade tape to keep lips sealed

Post by zoomzoom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:55 pm

Anyone know of any tape that we can use to keep our lips sealed for use with a nasal pillow? Don't want to use a full face mask. Thank you.

Audio_mc

Re: Medical grade tape to keep lips sealed

Post by Audio_mc » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Somnifix strips work pretty well for me.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 pm

Ditto that.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 pm

I use 3M Microfoam tape. Drooling will loosen the tape, so I use trimmed Poligrip strips to dam my lips and keep the moisture away from the tape. (Search this forum for Poligrip Strips)

Because the dam sometimes fails, I do use a narrow strip of Micropore tape to supplement the foam tape. I have found that 3M Micropore tape can easily remove my skin, so I minimize its use.

I must be a belt ‘n suspenders kind of guy. But my therapy would be nonexistent, if not for this routine.

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 pm

Audio_mc wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 pm
Thanks! They're unfortunately $20 for a 28 pack, which I think is a bit excessive.

zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:02 am

poppi2 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 pm
I use 3M Microfoam tape. Drooling will loosen the tape, so I use trimmed Poligrip strips to dam my lips and keep the moisture away from the tape. (Search this forum for Poligrip Strips)

Because the dam sometimes fails, I do use a narrow strip of Micropore tape to supplement the foam tape. I have found that 3M Micropore tape can easily remove my skin, so I minimize its use.

I must be a belt ‘n suspenders kind of guy. But my therapy would be nonexistent, if not for this routine.
Thanks! Is this the microfoam tape you use? https://www.amazon.com/Microfoam-Surgic ... 91&sr=8-13

Little worried about the micropore tape as I understand that to be the same tape they put on you if you get an injection (the one with the cotton ball) since that always pulls on my hair. Granted, I'd only have stubble near my lips, but still :D

Maybe the microfoam tape is not as much of an irritant when removing?

bernieb

Post by bernieb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:08 am

I purchased some of the adhesive strips that are made in the shape of an "X" and they did not work for me. Send me your address in a PM and I will mail a couple of them to you to try. NO CHARGE!!!!

Audio_mc

Post by Audio_mc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm

zoomzoom wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:56 pm
Audio_mc wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:18 pm
Thanks! They're unfortunately $20 for a 28 pack, which I think is a bit excessive.
I get about 5 uses for each strip so that's about 140 days out of one box. I reuse mine lol some people probably would prefer not to but I make sure my lips are cleaned prior to use for hygiene purposes. 140 days for $20 is not bad 😀

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm

zoomzoom wrote:....
Thanks! Is this the microfoam tape you use? https://www.amazon.com/Microfoam-Surgic ... 91&sr=8-13

...snip snip...

Maybe the microfoam tape is not as much of an irritant when removing?
Yes, that’s the tape. I buy a box of 12 one-inch rolls that lasts me about one year. Two inch rolls are available, but only 6 rolls per box. Two inches wide is a little too much for me.

This week, I lost some skin to the Micropore tape. Not often, but I can’t rush removing it in the mornings.

I breathe through my nose all day, with my tongue pressed to my upper teeth. You would think that after 6 or 7 years, my tongue would be sufficiently trained to stop any lip leaks. It ain’t happened to this old dog.

I’m through experimenting. And I ain’t going back to a FFM. Been there, fought that battle, and lost.

Good luck in your search. Earl

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:56 pm

I have taped my mouth shut for many years. I use tender skin tape 2". To avoid tearing the skin off with the tape I use a thin coat of milk of magnesia around my mouth before taping. The tape still holds but it so much easier(and less painful) to remove.

WhiteAngel

Post by WhiteAngel » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 am

Is it actually safe to seal your lips? Can't stand my mask and getting new next week, so taping is an option if safe.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:59 am

There are arguments for and against taping. I have skin issues that make it necessary to use a nasal pillow mask. Unfortunately I leak air from my mouth, so I choose to tape. I have been taping for 10 years or more with no issues. I use chapstick on my lips, and MOM on the surrounding area . I tuck my lips together and tape. Leave an area of tape folded over to make a 'handle' for easier removal.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 am

3M micropore tape is rather easy to use. The Somnifix strips are probably the easiest to use, and they have a little vent built in to allow a bit of mouth breathing just in case.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:13 pm

WhiteAngel wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 am
Is it actually safe to seal your lips? Can't stand my mask and getting new next week, so taping is an option if safe.
Lots of people do it.

Do you think that we'd say "tape your lips" if it wasn't safe?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:21 pm

WhiteAngel wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 am
if the notion of taping makes you uncomfortable, you may want to try this-

viewtopic/p1089718/viewtopic.php?f=1&t= ... s#p1086296

my apologies if you've seen this before. it's just that i'm such a major proponent of jay's discovery that i mention it whenever i can. it's worked wonders for me and it may work for you.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg