OT: Does anyone else still do their taxes on paper?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lizistired

OT: Does anyone else still do their taxes on paper?

Post by Lizistired » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 pm

Or is it just me?
I think all of our congressional representatives should have to do this, and be video recorded to post on YouTube!!
They have no idea how frustrating it has become to do this yourself.

I do them myself because I think you lose sight of how the system works, or doesn't, when someone or some software program does it for you.
The wierd thing is that the new forms are trying to tax my long term capital gains as regular income, when they shouldn't be taxed at all.
Has anyone else had that problem?
I was already ticked about having to read and print everything off the IRS site.
Guess I'll be visiting the IRS tomorrow.

2 B Sleeping Soundly

Re: OT: Does anyone else still do their taxes on paper?

Post by 2 B Sleeping Soundly » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Nope Liz, I gave up on paper forms and have used Turbo Tax for the last 9 years. Works for me...

John

One time a cop pulled me over for running a stop sign. He said, "Didn't you see the stop sign?" I said, "Yeah, but I don't believe everything I read." -- Steven Wright

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:12 pm

I used Turbo Tax for a few years, and then I discovered FreeTaxUSA and liked them much better......

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Resister

Post by Resister » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:24 pm

You can do taxes on paper?

JK

I've never been brave enough to try it on paper.
~Mama is happy when she sleeps with Pap-py~

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:00 am

Mom put a tax form in front of me when I was 16 and I've been doing them myself since then. Well, except for 2 years when I was deployed away from my house that was rented... depreciation.... H&R Block.
Now I'm retired and can't see paying someone to do something I can do myself.

I just found the Jedimark of tax prep here if anyone is interested: http://www.accountingweb.com/topic/tax/ ... 1-tax-year
So I ran my numbers through it and think I have found my problem. The error would have netted the IRS an extra $100. That matters to me.
Sad that we will never get the tax system fixed just because it employs too many people. Who thinks the IRS couldn't put the software on their website for us to file directly?
What pisses me off is that you now have to make it a full time job to maintain a sufficient understanding of the tax code just to file a simple return. Mine isn't complicated, I sold a few stocks last year.
So I have to pay a preparer, or have a computer, internet access, software, a printer, paper, ink, patience, patience, patience, and perserverance.
Simpson and Bowles were on Charlie Rose the other night and said that only 27% of americans itemize their taxes. That there are 180 exemptions that only the wealthiest 10% are able to use.
A friend was staying with me a few years ago and I was helping her with some financial stuff. I glanced at her tax return and saw an obvious error. I filed an ammendment on it and she let me keep the $300! She used turbotax and had input a retirement account as interest. SCORE! I knew she wasn't making that much in interest.
Our economy just keeps churnig money that isn't there.

ozze_dollar

Post by ozze_dollar » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 am

No I have not manually completed a form for a long time. In Australia we have "e tax" provided by the federal government. It is updated each year just in time to use. Some people find it intimidating but as my former employment was as an accountant I dont have a problem. I still do my return and my wifes. I dont do my kids anymore as I dont wish to know all their business.I might be shocked.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:51 am

We have fax, on-line and by phone in Canada....but I still do mine by paper I worked for the tax branch many years ago and I know how things get "lost".....so, I have a paper copy and they have a paper copy
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

nOhardMask

Post by nOhardMask » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:02 am

Since nobody else has mentioned this, I will. I've used software but doubt I'll E-FILE. Way too much liklihood of losing ALL my IDENTITY. Only if a truly secure, encrypted method is developed, will I consider other than snail mail. Right now I'm having it calculated on software, printed out and then mailing forms in certified. And I don't love USPS, believe me; but it's slightly better I think.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am

I've always done my own taxes on paper, never thought about using software. One thing I won't do is e file cause nothing is safe on the Internet, just look at all the credit card instances. I'll e file when I'm forced to.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 am

nOhardMask wrote:Since nobody else has mentioned this, I will. I've used software but doubt I'll E-FILE. Way too much liklihood of losing ALL my IDENTITY. Only if a truly secure, encrypted method is developed, will I consider other than snail mail. Right now I'm having it calculated on software, printed out and then mailing forms in certified. And I don't love USPS, believe me; but it's slightly better I think.
I don't think there is anything in my tax docs that the Army, VA, and TSA haven't already lost on laptops and thumbdrives.
You know, after you put a fraud alert on your credit report the junk credit cards offers stop for a really long time!

Kody

Post by Kody » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm

This strange "paper" substance you speak of, does it contain a keyboard of some kind, or a drop down menu?
Used to use H&R block, then realized why are we bothering to pay them when our taxes are simple. Now just use Turbo Tax on line, and if anyone wants to steal my identity, then they can go ahead I think I could use a better one myself..
Complex Sleep Apnea