Can I take a 1 hr nap without my CPAP?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spinory

Can I take a 1 hr nap without my CPAP?

Post by Spinory » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Is there any reason that I HAVE to use my cpap when I take a nap?

Overall my numbers have been good and I feel better already after 5 nights so I figured a nap without would be okay?

I have read on the forum that you should ALWAYS use your machine so I'm just curious. Thanks!
Heather

BlackSpinner

Re: Can I take a 1 hr nap without my CPAP?

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Spinory wrote:Is there any reason that I HAVE to use my cpap when I take a nap?

Overall my numbers have been good and I feel better already after 5 nights so I figured a nap without would be okay?

I have read on the forum that you should ALWAYS use your machine so I'm just curious. Thanks!
Heather
So you want to spend an hour being choked? An hour of low oxygen levels?

Cpap therapy doesn't cure you, any more then a brace on your wonky leg "cures" the leg. It splints your throat open when you use it.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:26 pm

You make it sound like you're being forced to use it against your will... it's for your benefit!

You went a long time (presumably) without cpap at all before being diagnosed, so the likelihood of your dropping dead the first time you don't use it for an hour is probably pretty low, but what about the next time (maybe two hours), or the next?

You don't need our permission, just your own common sense... the point of cpap is to help you sleep better, but any time you sleep without it you'll feel worse when you get up... so it's up to you.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:29 pm

If I sleep for as little as ten minutes without my machine, I get a hideous headache.
(never on purpose, mind you)
---I really hate long car trips.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Of course you CAN, but SHOULD you???

Try this--multiply your AHI on your sleep test by 10 seconds. Hold your breath for that long. Can you even do it? That's how much oxygen you deprive yourself of by sleeping for one hour without your CPAP.

There are two issues here:
1. You have apnea, and each apnic event causes some organ damage. Little tiny microscopic bits of organ damage, but over time it builds up. The death of a thousand cuts.

2. You teach your body it's OK to sleep without CPAP, so it's easier for you to go without during the night, too ("Aw, just for an hour . . . "). That's a slippery slope toward giving up on CPAP altogether, not very wise.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm

I rarely nap, but when I do, I mask-up and do it right.<P>
The exception? If I'm on a long, transcontinental flight (as a passenger), I'll permit myself a 5 or 10 minute dog nap, so long I'm sitting upright. Usually, I stay awake; however.

ameriken

Post by ameriken » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:08 pm

I try to get a 30 minute catnap during the day and always use the machine. I don't like the idea of being suffocated and putting my body through all that while I am asleep.
Thinking of quitting CPAP?

No problem, here's the first thing to do when you quit:

Advanced funeral planning. When you give up CPAP, you'll probably need it.

azpilgrims

Post by azpilgrims » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:14 pm

I cannot nap anymore since I have been on my APAP, lay there and cannot fall asleep - so I just get up and keep busy.

Kenneth P.

Post by Kenneth P. » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:18 pm

Well,I haven't died yet..My Doctor told me not to worry about it.That's the #1 cause of people going crazy over not being on it for a night or so..Please...I love my machine.But,I can tell you a bunch of it is crap&way for everyone to make money off of you.If you want to take a night off or just a hour for a nap..Work's for me..Just had to say..
Spinory wrote:Is there any reason that I HAVE to use my cpap when I take a nap?

Heather

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:33 pm

As already mentioned - you can but you will likely wish you had NOT.

I know for me just laying down with the mask on and breathing the filtered air, w/o all the dust particles, etc. for ten min. make me feel better. So I try not to ever nap w/o it.

Certainly, IF you are on a plane or car trip and you can't or it's not worth the effort then give it a go.

My guess is you will try it and let us know how it went for you.

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

peterg

Post by peterg » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:49 pm

I always have it on, even for the midday naps. I somehow didnt have it on last week for half a night and had some heart pain for the next few days (a pain that I always wondered about before going on CPAP, upon whence it disappeared, so I am guessing it was heart strain all along - I'll mention this one to the doc when I see him).

you could always buy an oximeter and experiment, you might be shocked on some of the low O2 levels without your machine, just like the good old days.

and if your nap is distraught, body and mind wise, then treating it to oxigen deprivation will to some extent nullify the benefit of the nap.

in short, it probably wont kill you, except just a little bit each time. learn to love the mask.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:09 pm

My naps are never planned. They just often happen in the afternoon for 30 minutes or so, while watching TV. I've never awaken from a a nap with a headache, or woke up short of breath, or woke myself up from a nap from snoring. So I guess we are all different.

Kody

Post by Kody » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Actually don't have the need to take many naps anymore since I've been on the hose. The times I have though, always put on the mask, now It just doesn't feel right if I don't have it on in bed.
One night accidentally fell asleep with the Oximeter on, but no mask. My 02 dropped like a stone in a hurry and the alarm woke me up! I know I will desat quickly without it, so it's mandatory and I just don't want to get any bad habits started. I'd rather get an hour of beneficial sleep, than an hour of low oxygen levels.
Complex Sleep Apnea

dtsm

Post by dtsm » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:44 am

I've napped with and without the hose, not much difference. It's really up to you; if you can fall asleep quickly, go for it! But if you doze off, don't freak out for not having the hose on.

My naps are well under an hour, i do this maybe once a month on a late weekend afternoon after eating too many roasted peanuts

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:03 am

I tend to fall asleep if I lay on the couch to watch the news. If I think about it, I wear my fingertip oximeter with the alarm set to 87. The alarm goes off as soon as I begin to doze. If I don't wear it and doze off, I wake up disoriented with blurred/double vision.
But really, you can do whatever you want.