To Carry, or Not?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

To Carry, or Not?

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:02 am

I haven't flown in 15 years.

But I will be headed for SFO sometime in March to pick up a new puppy. This is necessitated, the breeder says, by Covid, staff shortages, and flight cancellations -- it simply is not safe for a pup to travel alone.

My current plan is to leave my home airport around 6a, fly to SFO (likely one plane change in Denver) and get in the SFO around noon local. I'll have around 8 hours to get acquainted with my new Boy, then they'll take us back to the airport, and we'll catch a red-eye back to MSY, getting in here around 5a local. Drive home, and settle the New Boy, introducing him to his Beagle sister, who is apt to go "You brought me a WHAT for my birthday?!" and then crash.

I'm planning on having only a carry-on and my mobility scooter. The question is, do I take my ASV?

My first and immediate reaction is "Yes. Of course, you idiot. What if your flight is cancelled and you have to overnight somewhere?"

I'm truly not thrilled with dealing with TSA with Scooter, suitcase, CPAP, my safe food, AND a puppy. I don't want to have to deal with a carryon, a CPAP bag, a food bag, my scoot, and the puppy's traveling case.

Trying to figure out the best way to handle this.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Jlfinkels

Re: To Carry, or Not?

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:54 am

Congratulations on the new family member!

My non-medical response is if it was me I would not take the CPAP. You will have enough to deal with just with your new baby and scooter. You could compress everything into your carry-on (not the puppy or scooter of course) to make it a bit easier. You can also find out from the breeder what food you will need so can have it ready at home so you only have to carry a bit from them just in case you get stuck overnight.

I travel a lot (around 200K miles a year on average) and don’t schlep the CPAP for an overnight trip as I have a certain feng shui when I travel and anything that is not absolutely critical does not get taken. If I’m away 2+ nights then the CPAP gets taken on-board, but I do not use it on overnight flights. It may not work for everyone, but for me it keeps me within my routine. I figure I slept for 60+ years without a CPAP, so an occasional night without it will not make much difference to me.

Usual disclaimers: Your mileage may vary, don’t run with scissors, don’t tug on Superman’s cape, don’t eat anything bigger than your head, etc…
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:35 am

I probably wouldn't take it. I would be wondering just how much sleep I would be really getting anyway even if there was a layover what with the new baby and all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:49 am

Jlfinkels wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:54 am
Congratulations on the new family member!

My non-medical response is if it was me I would not take the CPAP. You will have enough to deal with just with your new baby and scooter. You could compress everything into your carry-on (not the puppy or scooter of course) to make it a bit easier. You can also find out from the breeder what food you will need so can have it ready at home so you only have to carry a bit from them just in case you get stuck overnight.
Well, I'm glad of a new pup, but sad because of the reason he's coming.

My beloved Harper died very suddenly, New Years Eve, of hemangiosarcoma. We had no clue he was ill. He started feeling unwell at the Barn Hunt, we took him to an emergency vet, and were not allowed to be with him. They called us three hours later to say he was dead -- and that it was our fault. That he had died of rat poison. And because we allowed him to do what he was bred to do -- hunt vermin -- we had killed him. We brought him home, to his regular vet, who did an autopsy, and determined the actual cause. My Boy bled to death internally. And he died alone, surrounded by strangers, without so much as a last touch to his sweet head to tell him that if he needed to go, it was okay. He was only nine.

The New Boy is his great nephew.

I'll be taking my own safe food, and will get a packet of the Boy's food from the breeder. His breakfast will be waiting when we get in. And then potty, and play with his new Beagle sister, and then crate time.

I've gone 48 hours, dozing upright in a chair, which is why I considered not taking it. But it wasn't fun. Luckily, I have enough credit card points to upgrade to a First Class ticket.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:09 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:35 am
I probably wouldn't take it. I would be wondering just how much sleep I would be really getting anyway even if there was a layover what with the new baby and all.
Well, that's the whole thought. I have enough credit card points to make this a First Class ticket, and I can manage sitting upright. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on New Boy's travel ability. When Harper was sent to us, you'd expect an 11 week old pup, just taken from everything familiar, and put on a plane, to be nervous and scared. But they brought his crate out and we called, "Harper, Harper!" He came bouncing to the front of the crate with "Somebody knows my NAME! Are you my people?" We popped the lock on the crate, put a leash on him, he swarmed out and kissed us and then, "Can I chase that suitcase?" as someone went by with a carryon. If this pup has a similar personality, he might actually do something radical like sleep while we're in the air. (Not, mind you, that I am counting on it!)

But between a suitcase, a food case, the scooter, and the pup... I was thinking, one less thing for TSA to have a connipation about.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:15 am

I am so sorry. My daughter's pug had that disease. It takes them quickly even if you know what the problem is because not much can be done. They tried to save him with all sorts of treatment but it just prolonged things and made his quality of life go in the toilet.

Back to your original problem...if it was me I would just try to sleep upright if it came to that. I already know that given all the circumstances I wouldn't sleep so great anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 am

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart hurts for you. We had to put our sweet boy down in August due to liver cancer and I still can't think about it without ugly crying and I was able to hold his head and pet him while it happened.

Congrats on your new puppy! I hope your flight goes safely and smoothly.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:47 pm

So sorry for your loss of Harper.

Congratulations with the new puppy! What breed?

I would bring your machine, on the off chance of a delay. Since you are not planning to stay overnight, is there room in your carry-on so that you don't have to carry the separate bag? I know security will be an issue, but I'm assuming you will have wheelchair assistance who can help with that process. Last time I traveled, we hand-carried our laptops to security and then put our laptops in the carryon bag after security so that we didn't have to carry an extra bag.

Please post photos of your new puppy and tell us how it went.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:48 pm

At the least, these times can make us strong.
Best wishes on the new baby.
Training him ought to be a blast.

SummerTime

Post by SummerTime » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:23 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:49 am

My beloved Harper died very suddenly, New Years Eve, of hemangiosarcoma. We had no clue he was ill. He started feeling unwell at the Barn Hunt, we took him to an emergency vet, and were not allowed to be with him. They called us three hours later to say he was dead -- and that it was our fault. That he had died of rat poison. And because we allowed him to do what he was bred to do -- hunt vermin -- we had killed him. We brought him home, to his regular vet, who did an autopsy, and determined the actual cause. My Boy bled to death internally. And he died alone, surrounded by strangers, without so much as a last touch to his sweet head to tell him that if he needed to go, it was okay. He was only nine.
Omg... I'm sitting here in tears. Let's just agree that Harper is looking down across the Rainbow Bridge and telling you he loves you and understands why you couldn't be with him. Oh... he just told me he knows you'll be a great mom for the new boy just as you were to him, and he sends hugs and kisses to you both.

Now I need to go hug my 10 year old salt and pepper poodle, Nuzzle/Nuzzie (granddaughter named her), and remind her how much she is loved.
Resmed AirSense 10 Auto For Her
Masks: N30 - P10

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:03 pm

Under those circumstance, I would take surface transportation. However, I realize that might not work for you. Also, I understand that a puppy would not be able to sit still for the amount of time required and that you would need to find accommodations that accept dogs.

I gather that you're planning on flying there, picking up the puppy and flying home the same day (no overnights if all goes as planned).

The question is that if you do get stuck overnight, what is the risk to your health? If it's critical, then you really need to have it with you!

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:07 pm

P.S. I'm pm'ing you my phone number. I'm an hour away from SFO (except in rush hours) so if you need anything while you're here you can call me.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:05 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:15 am
I am so sorry. My daughter's pug had that disease. It takes them quickly even if you know what the problem is because not much can be done. They tried to save him with all sorts of treatment but it just prolonged things and made his quality of life go in the toilet.
There is apparently now a blood test which can tell of the cancer is developing before it settles on an organ. There are also some alternative treatments which, while not altering the outcome, appear to give the dog a significant improvement in quality of life. It was primarily the shock. He was fine in the morning, ran a run where he was teasing me, and then... dead.
Back to your original problem...if it was me I would just try to sleep upright if it came to that. I already know that given all the circumstances I wouldn't sleep so great anyway.
Well, that is what I was thinking, but with all the delays and cancellations, I'm tending to operate on the premise of "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean the universe ISN'T out to get you!"

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:08 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 am
I am so sorry for your loss. My heart hurts for you. We had to put our sweet boy down in August due to liver cancer and I still can't think about it without ugly crying and I was able to hold his head and pet him while it happened.

Congrats on your new puppy! I hope your flight goes safely and smoothly.
That is what continues to hurt. Harper and I were bonded -- we shared a birthday -- and because of their d@mn Covid regs, he died alone, in a strange place, with only strangers around him.

The new pup is his great-nephew.

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:09 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:48 pm
At the least, these times can make us strong.
Best wishes on the new baby.
Training him ought to be a blast.
If I get the one I'm thinking of, I will be figuring out how to show him in Conformation from a mobility scooter......

Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5