Nasal Spray & AHI

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
red1

Nasal Spray & AHI

Post by red1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 am

Hello everyone,

Just a couple questions. When I was a kid, I had both my tonsils & adnoids out. In my twenty's I had surgery for a deviated septum.

My nasal passages are fairly clear. There is minimal interference with my breathing. Yet, when I used a half dose of nasal spary, for a cold I had, just before bed, my AHI was about 3.

As soon as I stopped using the spray, my AHI went back up to about 9. Is there anything available, that I can use in my nasal passages, that are not bad for them in the longer term. Obviously, I cannot use the decongestant nasal spray I used when I had the cold, as in the long term, it can create problems.

I am still using the rental S9 Autoset. My sleep doctor gave me a script for a S9 Autoset & my respirologist from the sleep clinic gave me a script for the bibpap machine (s9 VPAP) which I can upgrade to the Vpap Auto. I am finding it hard to make a decision now, as to which one to go with. I know I would have to pay out of pocket for the s9 Autoset. Have not heard back in regards to the VPAP. From what they tell me, I will probably have to pay out of pocket for that as well.

Thanks

Rick
Air Curve 10 VAuto
Swift FX Nasal

archangle

Re: Nasal Spray & AHI

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:11 am

What nasal spray were you using? For how long?

NeilMed Sinus rinse may be worth a try.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

red1

Post by red1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 am

archangle wrote:What nasal spray were you using? For how long?

NeilMed Sinus rinse may be worth a try.
Hi archangle,

While I had the cold, I used A Life Pharmacy brand Decongestant nasal spray. I used it once at night only & for about 7 days. My AHI was down to about 3 the whole week. When the cold cleared, I stopped using it & my AHI went up to about 9.

Could this be telling me that I have a more serious sinus issue then now I am unaware of? My sinuses are not totally clear, but they do not seem to effect my breathing. As far as I know anyways.

Even though the cold nasal decongestant spray dropped my AHI, I cannot take it any longer then a week. It is not meant for long term use.
Air Curve 10 VAuto
Swift FX Nasal

derek70

Post by derek70 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:40 am

Try a Nasal Irrigation (aka neti pot).
It's easy and cheap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:24 am

red1 wrote: Could this be telling me that I have a more serious sinus issue then now I am unaware of? My sinuses are not totally clear, but they do not seem to effect my breathing. As far as I know anyways.
Lots of folks with chronic mild-to-moderate congestion problems don't realize just how congested they are on a daily basis simply because they're used to it and they judge how congested they are based on how much extra congestion there is.

So it may very well be time to get serious about your nasal hygiene. In addition to the NeilMed SInus Rinse bottle (or neti pot) that someone has already mentioned, you can also try ample use of saline nasal sprays during the day time, an OTC nasal spray called NasalCrom (I think I have it spelled right), a daily oral antihistamine or daily decongestant (but check with your doc before using an OTC antihistamine or decongestant for long term daily use), or asking your doc for prescription for a nasal steroid spray.

Two really useful sources are:

Nasal Breathing Video Series from Dr. Barry Krakow's web pages

Unstuff Your Stuffy Nose from Dr. Steven Y. Park's web pages.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:32 pm

Have you been tested for allergies? Maybe something like Claritin or Zyrtec would help?

red1

Post by red1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:55 pm

Thank you all, so much for your comments & links. I really appreciate the feedback.

I know I do have allergies to dust & cats. Fortunately I no longer have a cat. Dust on the other hand ...

Strange that it took a cold and a nasal decongestant spray to realize I do have a sinus thing going on. My AHI was never as low as it was while I had the cold & took the nasal decongestant. I do find it restricted breathing in with the pillow mask I have. I have it set to 6 & 10 & it still feels like there is hardly any air coming in on the inhale. I have to sleep on my side with my head turned partly upward in order to sleep. Causes a lot of neck & shoulder pain. WHen I sleep on my side with my head even with the rest of me, its harder to breath. Forget about sleeping on my stomach. without xpap, I never noticed any restrictions in my breathing. I've also just now noticed, when I close off one side of my nose, I can feel a partial blockage in breathing on the one side.

Thank you again

Rick
Air Curve 10 VAuto
Swift FX Nasal

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:23 pm

red1 wrote:
While I had the cold, I used A Life Pharmacy brand Decongestant nasal spray. I used it once at night only & for about 7 days. My AHI was down to about 3 the whole week. When the cold cleared, I stopped using it & my AHI went up to about 9.
Most OTC nasal sprays irritate the tissues of your nose, and once you stop using them, your congestion is worse for a while until your nose heals back up. They can be addictive. If your AHI was worse after stopping the spray before you started, that could be the cause. Wait a week or so before drawing any conclusions.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:50 pm

red1 wrote:I cannot use the decongestant nasal spray I used when I had the cold, as in the long term, it can create problems.
It will only create problems if you use it continuously all day. If you just use it once a day, immediately prior to retiring at night, you are unlikley to have any problems.

Cheers,

Bill

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:10 pm

billbolton wrote:It will only create problems if you use it continuously all day. If you just use it once a day, immediately prior to retiring at night, you are unlikley to have any problems.
I have my doubts about that, but once a day would probably be less of a problem than several times a day.

Useful Links.

red1

Post by red1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:40 pm

Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them.

Rick
Air Curve 10 VAuto
Swift FX Nasal

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 pm

Rick, I also found that my AHIs drop after I spray my nose and also if I take a small dose of Benzo or non Benzo. About the Nasalcrom mentioned in a post above see this excerpt from Dr Krakow's book:

Notice that you need to be careful to distinguish between problems of vasomotor rhinitis and those with allergies and sinus problems, to decide what kind of spray to use.

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red1

Post by red1 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:18 am

Thank you so much avi23 for your response & the info you included. I really appeciate it.

Someone mentioned something about my AHI getting worse when I stopped using the nasal decongestant. It actually never got worse, it simply when back up to what it was, before I got the cold & started using the nasal spray. I guess what it tells me, (as someone also mentioned) is that I have a sinus problem I never realized I have. It took getting a cold & using a nasal spray to realize it.

As I mentioned earlier, about 15 years ago, I had surgery for a deviated septum on the right side. They must not of totally fixed it. Now that I am aware, I test both nostrils & can feel more resistance on the right side, when I take in air.

Thanks

Rick
Air Curve 10 VAuto
Swift FX Nasal

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Rick, I am wondering if you have fixed your nasal blockage. I think that I am getting now a Vasomotor Rhinitis from my CPAP. My nose is stuffy in spite of squirting non medicated decongestants into it. I can see it on the ResScan graph of Flow Limitation (FL).

When I use my S9 Autoset machine in APAP mode two things happen because of the higher FL:

1) the pressure rises and causes more leaks
2) the FL also elevate my Apnea Index to above 20 (Obstructive = 14+).

Another article about Vasomotor Rhinitis treatments:

http://www.ehow.com/about_5594857_treat ... itis_.html

Notice from this article that avoiding the triggers means in our cases to avoiding our XPAP.

Last edited by avi123 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:47 pm

I have never been a fan of Nasal sprays but once and a while I do use a saline spray. I bought a Nasal mister bottle and dumped out the medication part and make my own spray with sea salt and warm water as needed. I couldn't find a pure simple saline Nasal spray at the time if I would have I would have bought it. I have used Ayr gel for the nostrils if sore and only the sea salt / water and have got through everything so far including colds and flu. Only once did I think about a neti pot but after a few sprays and blows I was able to clear things up so I could use my Swift.

OTC sprays scare me after reading about what Jskinner a person who use to be on these forums a lot went through with them.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus