Modem

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yulcdn

Modem

Post by yulcdn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi All,
I began to use my CPAP machine on March 15th (still a newbie!). So far the only part that has been funny, is trying to figure out how to put the head gear on my head. I am getting better at figuring out which ends get attached to where. I guess that I have been lucky that by using the ramp, I tend to fall asleep before the force of 15 sets in. I have just a few questions. When people mention the use of vinegar...is that for cleaning out the humidifier or the tubing? Is it necessary to take apart the mask or will cleaning the whole mask (instead of the individual parts) in soap suffice. My CPAP has a wireless modem attached to it. Does anyone know where this info is sent and what info is included.
thanks

hades161

Re: Modem

Post by hades161 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Welcome to the Forum !

My average pressure is 16 so we are fairly close =) The mask can be a pain at times but with a little practice you get use to it.

As far as cleaning goes some use soaps like Dawn or other fully natural unscented soaps. I use to use Dawn and tried a few All Natural soaps but all the ones I tried gave me a soap build up that irritated me. I use both Full Face Mask and Nasal Pillows. Clean up is pretty much take it all apart and clean it. Some people do it a lot some people not so much. As far as the Vinegar thing goes you can clean everything with it but you have to rinse well and let dry to get rid of any left over smell. Vinegar at least for me has cleaned out the scale build up from using tap water in my humidifiers both related to Pap use and stand alone room humidifiers but every ones water quality varies.

To use vinegar is very simply a 50 / 50 Water to White Vinegar mix, and a soak your parts in the mix for 10 to 30 minutes depending on how oily the mask and or scaly the parts are. You can clean out your hose, Silicon parts, and or plastic pieces with it too. After the Soak simply hand rinse well and let dry.

For a humidifier plate with a scale build up I fill the chamber up with full strength Vinegar to a little past the scale line and let soak. Depending on how scaly it is 10 to 30 minutes will do but I have left forgotten it and let it soak over night without issue.(I have many spares after 5+years and rotate them) Normally you can then wipe off the scale and the humidifier plate and chamber should be clear of build up, if not refill and soak again to take one more layer of scale off.

But if you use say steam distilled water for like a dollar a gallon then you really don't have to worry to much about scaly build up and a good weekly clean for me, is more then enough.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

I’m not asleep… but that doesn’t mean I’m awake.
- Albert Camus

hades161

Post by hades161 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Er um I am not sure you have your equipment listed correctly as that unit has no modem as far as I know anyway nor any port to attach one.

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

- Albert Camus

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:30 pm

hades161 wrote:Er um I am not sure you have your equipment listed correctly as that unit has no modem as far as I know anyway nor any port to attach one.
PR S 1 machines do have the ability to have a modem stuck on on the back of the machine. It covers where the SD slot is seen. Normally it is the DME that accesses the data. What they gather is known to them but hours of use is most common thing..verify compliance. The PR S1 Pro will gather the other data and the DME can access that if that wish. Respironics has a web based software called EncoreAnywhere and this is how the DME gets to the data that the modem makes available.
EncoreAnywhere picks it up and DME or doctor then accesses that software from Respironics website.
Unsure as to exact procedure.

The modem can be removed and the SD card used with other software...and then put the modem back on the machine and no one knows that it has been done as long as no settings are changed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

hades161

Post by hades161 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:18 pm

But is HIS listed as that?

Hopefully his unit is the you pointed out Pugsy
All I was trying to do was tell them they need to review the equipment list as I am sure that's not the right humidifier as well then.

Sir Winston Churchill

- Albert Camus

retrodave15

Post by retrodave15 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:43 pm

I have the PRS-1 with a modem, I asked the rt what they see, they only see the compliance data which they need for billing purposes. in the case of rental machines they get a coarse location and if the machine is plugged in and not sitting on a shelf.

When he asked me today what my pressure was and still had the original Rx pressure and not the pressure that me and the doc worked our way to. with that tidbit they are not looking at settings or event data from my conversation this afternoon or you would thing they would have noticed that my AHI shot over 60 the two nights after surgery.

Event Planner / Trade show Manager / Driver of the Winnebago

Newark, Ohio

Wife's Equipment: PRS1 AutoIQ w/ Cflex+, Swift FX for Her

yulcdn

Post by yulcdn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:56 pm

hades161 wrote:But is HIS listed as that?

Hopefully his unit is the you pointed out Pugsy
All I was trying to do was tell them they need to review the equipment list as I am sure that's not the right humidifier as well then.
Hi,
The unit I have is the one listed. The modem is wireless and attaches at the back and covers the SD card. The humidifier is made my the same company. I could not find the actual name in the list but this seemed the closest description of the humidifier. Thanks to all for your help.

yulcdn

Post by yulcdn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:02 pm

hades161 wrote:Welcome to the Forum !

My average pressure is 16 so we are fairly close =) The mask can be a pain at times but with a little practice you get use to it.

As far as cleaning goes some use soaps like Dawn or other fully natural unscented soaps. I use to use Dawn and tried a few All Natural soaps but all the ones I tried gave me a soap build up that irritated me. I use both Full Face Mask and Nasal Pillows. Clean up is pretty much take it all apart and clean it. Some people do it a lot some people not so much. As far as the Vinegar thing goes you can clean everything with it but you have to rinse well and let dry to get rid of any left over smell. Vinegar at least for me has cleaned out the scale build up from using tap water in my humidifiers both related to Pap use and stand alone room humidifiers but every ones water quality varies.

To use vinegar is very simply a 50 / 50 Water to White Vinegar mix, and a soak your parts in the mix for 10 to 30 minutes depending on how oily the mask and or scaly the parts are. You can clean out your hose, Silicon parts, and or plastic pieces with it too. After the Soak simply hand rinse well and let dry.

For a humidifier plate with a scale build up I fill the chamber up with full strength Vinegar to a little past the scale line and let soak. Depending on how scaly it is 10 to 30 minutes will do but I have left forgotten it and let it soak over night without issue.(I have many spares after 5+years and rotate them) Normally you can then wipe off the scale and the humidifier plate and chamber should be clear of build up, if not refill and soak again to take one more layer of scale off.

But if you use say steam distilled water for like a dollar a gallon then you really don't have to worry to much about scaly build up and a good weekly clean for me, is more then enough.
Thanks for all the good information. I am assuming that if I use distilled water, I should be OK and not need the vinegar. In addition when traveling, I will get bottled water..too hard to find distilled but for a few days, it seems that bottle water will do the trick. Now if I could only find an easy way to remember how to put the head gear on!!