Outlet bacteria filters

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gerryk

Outlet bacteria filters

Post by Gerryk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:52 pm

I never used one of these before. However the last time I went for a sleep study they had them on all the machines they used and they suggested that I use one to help with my allergies.

Any comments, suggestions or advice on these? If you use them do you notice a difference by using it? How often do you have to change them?

GumbyCT

Re: Outlet bacteria filters

Post by GumbyCT » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:01 pm

Gerryk wrote:I never used one of these before. However the last time I went for a sleep study they had them on all the machines they used and they suggested that I use one to help with my allergies.

Any comments, suggestions or advice on these? If you use them do you notice a difference by using it? How often do you have to change them?
They do clog when used w/humidifiers. AND also reduce the effective pressure.

viewtopic/t77228/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57 ... re#p541394

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

teachcsg

Post by teachcsg » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:48 pm

I set patients up on cpap machines all day and we do not recommend using any outlet bacteria filters. We used to use them on the ventilator patients...but thats a whole different field. I have also never heard any of the reps for Respironics or Resmed or F&P state that the machines should be used with the outlet bacteria filter. Now you may be aware that the Respironics cpaps use the "fine filter". Its a white filter that goes before the black reusable filter. I dont think its a bacterial filter but some patients have said it helps with their allergies. I dont recall Resmed having a filter like this for the S8/S9
Cesar Garza, RRT
Registred Respiratory Therapist
http://www.lastminuteceus.com

macewa

Post by macewa » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:55 pm

my allergist says to use a saline nasal spray prior to going to bed to get the allergens out of my nose. That seems to work. Never thought of using something else on my machine. With the filters I have, I figure we get better air than most and that definitely helps with allergies.

Gerryk wrote:I never used one of these before. However the last time I went for a sleep study they had them on all the machines they used and they suggested that I use one to help with my allergies.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Just a thought, but in order to stop bacteria, wouldn't a filter have to be so fine-grained that it would virtually stop the air flow?
It's probably unfair, but it makes me think of those gizmo$ they used to sell to put on your car to increase gas mileage.

macewa

Post by macewa » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:12 pm

I was rethinking this topic and remember my dad saying, (when a piece of food dropped on the floor and I hesitated to pick it up and eat it) . . . just another opportunity to become immune to another germ. I think today we have become so germ conscious that the new habits are only going to cause more problems, ie super germs. This obsession on cleanliness using anti-bacterial soaps for everything is only going to break down our immune system more. Just MHO . . . . with my BiPap I use vinegar for cleaning and filters on it and my oxygen concentrator and distilled water in my humidifier -- and that's about it.

Gerryk

Post by Gerryk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:53 am

It wasn't a manufacturers rep that suggested I use it. Rather it was someone at the sleep center. I do use the fine filters on my machine and always have. I wasn't thinking of using it all the time, just when the allergy season is real bad. I had wondered if they would effect the pressure or not. I ordered one and once I have more data on the new machine, I will give it a try and see if it changes any of the data.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:42 am

The RT that helped set me up at the DME store put on this neat in-line filter between the hose and machine when I mentioned my allergies. He said it is normally used on ventilators but that it worked well in this situation too. What clinched my acceptance of it was when he said that the only time he gets relief from his allergies was in the shower and when he was on cpap and that was after he put this special filter on his machine. The filter in the S9 is pretty coarse and I can see where it wouldn't slow down many allergens. Even though I have a very efficient air purifier in the main living area, I doubt it's range effectively extends to the bedroom and could handle dander and hair from my 2 dogs, one of which sleeps with me, and a parrot that flies through the bedroom several times a day. Daily vacuuming can't keep up with what these beloved critters contribute to air quality but I do what I must. He recommended I change the filter monthly so that's the plan. My pressure readings stay between the set 6 & 10 but whether the machine is working harder to maintain these numbers by pushing air through this filter, I haven't a clue. I can say that I don't sneeze when I'm masked up. Sheesh, that's a lot of words! Wonder if I will have enough left to make it through the rest of the day???

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

Roger2

Post by Roger2 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:49 am

macewa wrote:my allergist says to use a saline nasal spray prior to going to bed to get the allergens out of my nose. That seems to work. Never thought of using something else on my machine. With the filters I have, I figure we get better air than most and that definitely helps with allergies.
Mine told me the same thing and it has been working for me also.

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:10 am

These types of filters will dampen the ability of any auto machine to sense events. IF you are using straight cpap it will also not sense some events BUT you can compensate by increasing the pressure.

The point is IF you use an inline filter AND see 0 AHI - that is misleading because the events can be blocked by the in line filter.

Last edited by GumbyCT on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
BeganCPAP31Jan2007;AHI<0.5
I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:16 am

Admittedly I am using a ventilator, but I change the bacterial filter every 2-4 weeks out of necessity. They are pure white when new and graying after a couple of weeks. The first one (when nobody said anything about them needing to be changed -- stupid DME) -- was BLACK after more than six months.

It may be purely psychological, but I can seem to notice a difference when they're new. Perhaps just fresher air? Hard to say.

Suzjohnson

Post by Suzjohnson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 am

Gumby, you make a good point. I'll take the filter off tonight and see if I can see any difference in the graphs or numbers tomorrow.

Madalot, no, I don't believe it's psychological. It stands to reason that when the filter has no bits and particles embedded in it, there would be better air flow. Amazing that your DME didn't recommend a replacement schedule! Imbecilic!

Suz

"We are what we repeatedly do, so excellence is not an act but a habit". ~ Aristotle

JohnBFisher

Post by JohnBFisher » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:10 am

If you have a PR System One system then be certain to use the white fine filter. That will do a pretty good job and will not be as expensive as a bacterial filter. Nor will it have quite the same set of troubles. It won't completely eliminate all things that get through (particularly bacteria). But it white fine filter will knock out most of the allergens. As others have noted a nasal saline spray will do a job on the allergens that remain in your nose.

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams." from Zdzisław Beksiński

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:43 am

Suzjohnson wrote:Madalot, no, I don't believe it's psychological. It stands to reason that when the filter has no bits and particles embedded in it, there would be better air flow. Amazing that your DME didn't recommend a replacement schedule! Imbecilic!

Suz
My new DME was extremely upset when they found out. Even after the original DME realized it and gave me a new filter, they never said anything about how frequently to change them. We waited until the stupid thing looked bad before worrying about it. Not very smart.

My new DME (and insurance) allows one per month, which they send in my quarterly supply package. Because I cannot do any house cleaning and my cleaning company comes every other week (plus I have cats) I bought extras from cpap.com and we check the filter every Sunday and change it as it seems necessary. I typically change it every 2-3 weeks because it starts graying fairly quickly.

But my situation is not typical for this board and I have to be extra careful and cautious about everything.

russ hall

Post by russ hall » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 pm

I have used these filters for over 5 years and if you could see how dirty they become over time you would not use a CPAP with out one.