Have to sleep on back. Change Pressure?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
leonj

Have to sleep on back. Change Pressure?

Post by leonj » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:43 pm

Hi--

Would appreciate information and personal observations. I have a back problem that requires me to sleep on my back temporarily--for a few months.

Have used cpap successfully for three years, but normally sleep on my side. My husband says I am snoring loudly and I have apnea symptoms during the day.

Current pressure is 7. My doctor will prescribe a higher pressure, but she is not a sleep expert, and has no idea what to raise it to; I do not want to take another sleep test. Seems wasteful, though my insurance pays for it--just drives up the cost of health care for me or someone else.

Any good reason not to ask her to write a script to change the pressure to 9, and see if it helps?

Are there any dangers at these comparatively low pressure levels?

And can anyone explain the pressure ranges, altitude, etc, as I will also be traveling.

BlackSpinner

Re: Have to sleep on back. Change Pressure?

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Tell what your equipment is and someone will tell you where to download the manual so you can do it yourself. Basically raise the pressure a bit each night until the symptoms go away.
I am assuming they sold you a brick without data.
If they can find your titration study they will probably have the pressure you need for sleeping on your back in it.

Remember it is air, that is all, air.

The worst that can happen is that if the pressure gets to a certain level some small minority of people get more apneas. Then you back off.

If you and your doctor are really paranoid you could rent an APAP from your DME for a week. It will record your apneas and the pressures you need to stp them.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm

leonj wrote:Hi--

Would appreciate information and personal observations. I have a back problem that requires me to sleep on my back temporarily--for a few months.

Have used cpap successfully for three years, but normally sleep on my side. My husband says I am snoring loudly and I have apnea symptoms during the day.

Current pressure is 7. My doctor will prescribe a higher pressure, but she is not a sleep expert, and has no idea what to raise it to; I do not want to take another sleep test. Seems wasteful, though my insurance pays for it--just drives up the cost of health care for me or someone else.

Any good reason not to ask her to write a script to change the pressure to 9, and see if it helps?

And can anyone explain the pressure ranges, altitude, etc, as I will also be traveling.
How would you snore during the day? Are we to assume that you nap?

macewa

Post by macewa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:55 pm

I think she's saying she snores (at night) and has sleep apnea during the day. That was my take on it.
LSAT wrote:
leonj wrote:Hi--

How would you snore during the day? Are we to assume that you nap?

leonj

Post by leonj » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:41 pm

Thank you, BlackSpinner

--and a great face you have there.

My machine is a ResMed 8s.

Would much appreciate it if someone would tell me how to set it myself.

And to comments about sentence construction and snoring while awake. (I try not to, though perhaps I am but can't hear myself because I am snoring too loudly.)

Grammatically speaking for anyone who cares: "My husband says I am snoring loudly and I have apnea symptoms during the day" is a sentence made of two independent clauses: "My husband...snoring loudly" and "I have apnea symptoms during the day."

In this case, "during the day" modifies "apnea systems" and NOT "snoring loudly."

Thanks. Leonj

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:55 pm

There are several S8's if you go into the control panel (upper left under the search box) and fill in your profile with your equipment it will be easier for people to help you.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

DavidCarolina

Post by DavidCarolina » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:52 am

i agree that you'll need more pressure on your back. Maybe two clicks a minimum.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:16 am

My n=1. My initial pressure was 8.0. My very experienced sleep doc raised it to 9.5 to accommodate back sleeping (we subsequently dropped it back slightly).

I agree that bumping it up gradually might be the way to go.

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke