Cpap help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Riven53

Cpap help

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:33 am

For the past week I have bad readings with my Cpap machine RS9 Resmed. It states that I have have a leak and need to adjust. I adjust, not helping. I have the nasal pillows. The only time my machine gets a smiley face instead of the red face is when I hold my fingers over the nasal pillows (Filters) on the head tube that connects the pillows onto it. I don't think that helps and I can't hold my fingers on the headgear all night long. I had NORCO come out and they say my machine is fine. I have changed everything from the filter in the back all of the tubing, the chamber and the nose pillows. I am still getting the red face leak face. Any suggestions on what might be wrong? Thank you

Pugsy

Re: Cpap help

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 am

Tell us exactly which mask you are using.

Edit...also exactly which ResMed machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:44 am

I am using the ResMed S9 VPAP™ Auto Bilevel w/H5i™ Humidifier and the nose pillows. It's the vents that I cover with my fingers and then I get a good read.

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:50 am

Riven53 wrote:I am using the ResMed S9 VPAP™ Auto Bilevel w/H5i™ Humidifier and the nose pillows. It's the vents that I cover with my fingers and then I get a good read.
sorry it's the S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine with H5i™ Heated Humidifier for Her with nose pillows

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:55 am

Which nose pillows mask?

From your description it sounds like the Respironics DreamWear gel nasal pillows but I need to be sure because the ideas I have for improving seal on it won't work with other nasal pillow masks.

If you are unsure...go here and look and see if you can find the one you are using.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-p ... p-mask.php

You shouldn't need to cover the vents to get a good seal and you don't want to anyway because those vents need to remain clear so that the carbon dioxide laden air that you exhale gets pushed out into your bedroom....you don't want to be rebreathing it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:57 am

Are you sure you're not just mouth breathing and losing air that way... maybe need a full face mask?

And no, don't ever cover the vent holes.

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:06 am

I'm using the regular nasal pillows. I've had the machine for more than 5 years. It's just the past few eeks it's been given me problems. I get new nasal pillows and filters every month. New tubing every six months, plus a water chamber. New head strap to go on my head gear every 3 months. I clean everything a few times a week and once a month I clean with vinegar and distilled water. Everything is brand new on my machine now, all of the hoses, chamber strap. nasal pillows, and the filter in the back, and I am still getting "Leak" but I can't find one. Norco tells me the machine is fine, I am quickly not believing them.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am

If she can't get Mr Smiley fast without putting fingers over the vent holes...then she is aware and awake and not mouth breathing. Otherwise why would she say "I can't keep my fingers covering the holes while asleep".

If someone can't get Mr Smiley at least while awake then something is wrong with either fit, size or it's simply the wrong mask for the person.

Now Mr Frowny after all night asleep...could be mouth breathing of course but I am for the moment going to try to target awake and Mr Frowny showing up. The mouth breathing possibility comes later once we figure out why she can't even get a good seal while awake....and then the software speech comes into play also for leak evaluation during actual sleep.

If a person can't start out the night with Mr Smiley...things have already gone to hell.
I'm using the regular nasal pillows. I've had the machine for more than 5 years.
Same model of nasal pillow for 5 years or did you change to a new kind?

When was the last time you changed the hose from the machine to the mask?

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:20 am

No, I am using the same type of nasal pillows as I have always used. Everything is the same only I get the red sad smiley now. I've tried changing the temp of the humidity heat, cleaned and re cleaned the machine. Everything that I have done for the past 5 years I have been doing nothing changed except now I see that red face every time I put on my headgear and try to sleep. I just let that red smiley face go on about his own way and think maybe if I just go to sleep it will disappear, but it doesn't until I block the air coming out of the vents in the head gear tube. I believe that is dangerous. Norco came said the machine was fine. I don't believe them because that darn red face is haunting my machine now :

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 am

I changed the hose three times this week alone. Last night I changed it to a new one out of the package. New tubing all the way around and new nasal pillows , new filter and new water chamber. Still I get that red face.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:27 am

To be clear what we are talking about...you are getting the red face immediately while awake and attempting to get a good seal prior to going to sleep???
Or are you talking about in the morning after you have slept?

Let's get you some software so we can see what is going on.
https://sleep.tnet.com/equipment
SleepyHead works fine with your machine.

Again, exactly which nasal pillow mask are you using??? It won't be the Respironics DreamWear Gel pillows since you say you have used the same mask for years and the Gel pillows are new to the market.

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:38 am

I am talking about getting that red face 100% all of the time, even when I am trying to adjust my pillows. I can only get a good read if I cover the air vents and I know that isn't good. I do have someone coming over to check things out. Thank you all so much for trying to help me. Wish me well. Have great days!!

Riven53

Post by Riven53 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm

No I don't feel ok and I have had the red face pop up daily every time I use my Cpap machine. I've used it for over 5 years every night. I hope nothing is wrong. Thank you

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Riven53 wrote:I am talking about getting that red face 100% all of the time, even when I am trying to adjust my pillows. I can only get a good read if I cover the air vents and I know that isn't good. I do have someone coming over to check things out. Thank you all so much for trying to help me. Wish me well. Have great days!!
We still need to know exactly WHICH nasal pillows mask you are using.

Without knowing that we're speculating.

Have you checked the small hose that connects the nasal pillows to the main hole for pinhole sized leaks?