Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gabe

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 am

Pugsy wrote:Vista if I remember right and an HP computer.
Have you ever used a program called CCleaner? It is free and does a decent job without removing stuff it shouldn't. With all your installs and uninstalls and various other problems, I wonder if a good cleaning would help?
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
It also has a separate registry cleaning tool which will clean out the registry as a separate procedure.
I have use this product for years without it ever causing a problem.

It will "clean" out the cookies section also and you might have to log back in to sites with a stored log in cookie like here at the forum. To not have this happen you would need to either tell the program to ignore specific site cookies or simply not remove any cookies.

I have never had this program remove something that it shouldn't. The cookie thing might be an annoyance but easily worked around if you want to tell CCleaner to leave certain cookies alone.

I have no idea if using this program will help you with your runtime error. I got a million questions. Are you tired of me, yet?

If you do install SleepyHead again...make sure you install it under the "run as administrator" command. To get that command when you are ready to double click the downloaded files instead of doing the double click to start the install...right click mouse and choose "run as administrator" command line.
Can you install it, again, without un-installing the one I have now?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 am

Gabe wrote:Can you install it, again, without un-installing the one I have now?
Sure but you would have to rename either the new one or the old one.

I know you are thinking about your data that you currently have...that data is stored in your MyDocuments folder under SleepyApp folder and when you uninstall that folder stays in place and no data is lost.
I did this myself when I realized that the "run as administrator" thing was making the update fail.
I had 4 different machines worth of data installed under one user in SleepyHead. I left that SleepyApp folder alone....uninstalled the program...reinstalled using the "run as administrator" and all my old data was there. Didn't have to import anything else.

Now if you do create a new computer user....and want to install SleepyHead, you can do that and not have to worry about having 2 versions of SleepyHead trying to run to confuse you or your computer.
When you create a new computer user....it is like that person is completely separate from the "George" user. None of your other installed programs will show up under a new computer user.
Families do this when there are multiple kids on a computer. Each child has their own user name and the stuff they download stays within their name and doesn't get mixed up with the other kid's stuff.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Thanks, Brenda. I appreciate it. I will find out how to change my user and use the malware you sent me, after I bowl a few games, on WII. My head needs to get off of the computer for awhile. I feel like it's attached to my hands.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Bowling on the Wii is much more fun.
Try not to worry so much over all this. I know it is annoying not to be able to stop things from annoying us...but sometimes we just have to put things on the back burner.

If I ever get up to the NorthEast where you are at...I will come by and see if I can help you sort out your computer issues. I just can't do it from here and I don't want to go the remote access route. I am not comfortable with that. My internet access is too unstable and I just don't want to take the risk.

Your computer doesn't behave like a normal Vista computer should behave. We have had this discussion before. If one other person had the same error with SleepyHead....I might think about it being a programming problem but you are the only one and that likely means that there is a conflict with your computer somewhere that is uncommon and thus very hard to isolate and fix. I have read what McSleepy is referring to...I have also read where others using other programs have had similar issues with that error message..not an easy thing to fix when only a handful of people have an issue compared to thousands who don't. With SleepyHead we don't have thousands of people but we do have hundreds and you are the sole person with this problem.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:48 pm

It had to be me. There's a song like that. Thanks, Brenda. I'll hone up on my bowling and bowl you, if you ever come this way. Got to get back to trying to fix this computer.

idamtnboy

Post by idamtnboy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Gabe, you most likely have some obscure conflict with an existing program. Those can be difficult, if not nigh impossible, to ferret out. A couple of examples. Sometimes I have a window pop up about not seeing my card reader, or something like that. It happens every time I have Lotus 123 open and sometimes when I run some other program. I think it might be the card reader driver, but I'm sure. I think the card reader driver is also why sometimes, but not always, after I use Resscan when I close Windows I get a devicescan2 does not respond and won't close. I installed a driver for my wife's LG phone. It clashed with Resscan and Resscan would not respond after starting to open up.

The only way to find out for sure what's causing the problem you're having, and it's a time consuming and arduous process, is to do a complete rebuild of your machine, i.e., reload Windows from scratch. Then install all the Windows updates, then the critical programs such as your internet security s/w, and then SH. Run SH and see if you get the error. I'll bet not. Then one or two or three at a time reinstall your programs, running SH after each group of installs. If and when you start having the error you know that the last installed programs are the ones causing the conflicts. If it's a program you have to have you have no choice but to make sure all the updates are installed, and if you still get the error then you have to choose between the error and having the other program. Or everything may work fine as the rebuild cleaned up an outdated version of some library.

The way MS established the file structure and registry for Windows you can easily have a later installed program overwrite some component installed earlier by Windows or another program. Windows programs are allowed to step on each other and sometimes those steps cause problems. That's why corporate IT departments like to run extensive testing of all new programs and major Windows updates before deploying them.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:45 pm

Thanks for your concern, idamtnboy. I appreciate your time, trying to help me.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:03 pm

George,

If your computer is badly messed up (malware, useless programs, registry and system-file corruption, etc.), you should consider reinstalling the OS. Malwarebytes is great for cleaning out malware (it's the one I use myself) but it can't do much if your system is messed up (and having half-a-dozen anti-malware programs on there would qualify). CCleaner is also a good utility (I've been using it since it was called CrapCleaner), but it can't do wonders, either.

If you bought the PC assembled, there should be some restoration procedure: either from optical disk (you may have to create the disk(s) using a utility) or from a service partition. If not, you might just have to grab a Windows disk and install it from scratch. Just make sure you have all your documents and data backed up to an external resource (optical, magnetic or solid-state disks).

If you are having general problems with your computer, there are a lot of other people that can help you with this task. Make sure your PC is in good health first and then worry about Sleepyhead.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:27 pm

Thanks, McSleepy. I'm running malwarebytes, now. I did use ccleaner the other day. I'm trying the easiest ways and hoping I hit it lucky. George

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:12 am

I discovered this icon, that's on my desktop, that's a box with the lid open and a picture in back, that looks like a computer window.

When I click on the icon, this window comes up: OPEN FILE-SECURITY WARNING
Do you want to run this file?
Name:C\Users\George\Desktop\msicuu2.exe
Then it has Run or Cancel

When I try to run it, a window says: Window Script Host
Red X Script:
C:\Users\George\AppData\Local\Temp\TXPOOOl.TMP\StartMsi.vbs
Line: 17
Char:1
Error: Permission denied
Code: 800A0046
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

I hope this can help to solve it, or at least get closer to solving it. George

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_In ... Up_Utility

I couldn't find any reference source pointing to the file as being bad. See link above.
Sometimes bad guys hide in good guy named files but I didn't find that to happen with this file.

You may have downloaded that utility a while back. It is still available is one knows where to look but apparently it didn't play nice with some other Microsoft programs so MS retired that utility.

Why it wants to run from a Temp folder...I have no idea.
Using CCleaner should have cleaned out the Temp folder unless something is 48 hours new. Old stuff should get removed. Temp folders aren't the place to store anything permanent.

You might look in your installed programs list and see if you can uninstall it.
Might as well remove it because it seems to be broken anyway.