Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Gabe

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Post by Gabe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 am

Every time I close out Sleepyhead, I get this window pop-up: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error
Program C:\ Program Files\Sleepyhead.exe R6025
- pure virtual function call

I said I could deal with it, but it gets under your skin after awhile. It is annoying. Hopefully someone can help me. Thanks, all the time.

Beginning to believe that I made my life more complicated and irritating, by getting a computer.

I also feel like it's not healthy for the computer. I've been known to be wrong, before.

McSleepy

Re: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Post by McSleepy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 am

This can be a tough one to diagnose and fix. The problem is that this error is generated when the program code encounters a situation that should never occur. While that seems to describe all cases of program crashes, in this case the problem seems to be entirely within the code written by the author, not by some unpredictable interaction with system or development libraries, or unusual I/O (user or data) circumstances, which is much more common. In other words, the author has designed a scenario that should not exist (i.e., a call to a pure virtual function when the instance of the derived class is not in a position to execute that function, e.g., the object has not been fully constructed yet). Somehow, in the process of testing, this scenario hasn't come up (or it would have been caught and fixed), so you seem to be doing something different, but nonetheless, this is a programming error and needs to be fixed by the author. You might be able to work around it somehow - maybe see if the sequence of actions you take when using the program might be unusual (such that the author never went through), or your configuration of the software might be unusual (are there any optional plug-ins that might have been installed?) or anything else different than how most people are using it. I would not expect this to have anything to do with development libraries (e.g., the version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library you have installed on your PC) or system software (OS updates), so I wouldn't put too much time into that. The best course of action is contacting the author (I believe he frequents this forum) and giving him the exact circumstances of the problem so he can reproduce and fix the problem.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:55 am

Thank you, McSleepy. Wouldn't everyone that uses Sleepyhead have the same pop-up? I chatted with the author awhile ago about this and he had no idea why this happens.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:32 pm

As I said, you seem to be doing something different than the developer and most other users - whether in how the program is installed (including, possibly, the installation of the accompanying libraries), or in how you use the program (like configuration of any settings or sequence of actions when used). After all, this program has not undergone a rigorous validation and verification process, so it is possible that your particular situation wasn't considered. You should try and work with the developer to reproduce the problem, if feasible. Unless something really freaky is occurring, the crash is caused by the execution of code in a manner that should not be possible. Since this occurs at exit time, it is probably some cleanup routine that only executes under rare circumstances (developers tend to pay less attention to that part of program execution), but there should be something the author could do about this. I'm not familiar with that software, at all, but I'm sure he can think of something, like produce a debug build, with possibly some extended logging, to try and catch the problem. But nothing beats being able to reproduce the problem so you can catch the problem in the debugger and inspect the call stack to see under what circumstances that pure virtual function is being called.
Of course, this is free, low-volume software and the author might not have much motivation to get into all that.
You could try reinstalling, if there are any installation options - maybe you'll set it up differently the next time and avoid the problem. I wouldn't think messing with the MS VCRT will take you anywhere - the error is way too specific - but you can always try. The VCRT versions are backwards compatible but you should try the version that the author has recommended (unless its bundled in the installer). I would think you have gone over all those details with the author, I don't think I'd be able to think of anything better.
McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:36 pm

Thank you very much, McSleepy. Your time and expertise is really appreciated. Gabe.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 am

Still haven't been able to resolve this. Anyone else have the solution?

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 am

Gabe, I'm sorry you are having this trouble, but, I'm afraid, the only person who could help you is the developer. No one else would have the solution, in big part because no one else seems to be having the problem, in the first place. As a professional software developer, I am always bothered when something is not working quite right, but I don't think I can help you. I even went on to download Sleepyhead (albeit, I got the previous version because I didn't have the time to deal with an installer) and looked at it. First, I should mention that after running it I did not experience the problem you are experiencing, but then, again, I did not go on to set it up completely and import CPAP data (my machine is not supported). What I saw is that the program seems to be using an array of shared libraries (Nokia's Qt, Minimalist GNU for Windows, GNU C runtime) but I didn't get deep enough to see if Sleepyhead uses the MS VCRT directly or by means of one of the dependent libraries. Did you have to install the VCRT yourself? Again, the answer to this simple question (i.e., whether the main code uses pure virtual functions) can be provided only by the author. In the very possible case where he did not, then the bug is in one of the libraries he uses, in which case you have a very slim chance of having this ever resolved.
Did you try reinstalling? Since I don't know whether the (un)installer has the option to clean up its settings, you might have to do it manually. You'll have to ask the author which Registry keys to delete to achieve that. An alternative is to install on another computer (to see if your chosen preferences/settings are what causes the problem) or under a different user on your current computer.
The author of Sleepyhead (Jedi Mark) is the only person who can really help you, you might try PM-ing him, or some other way of getting in touch, if you really need this problem resolved. Good luck.
McSleepy

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks very much for your concern, McSleepy. I downloaded from a link that was given to me. I don't know how to do some of the things that you are referring to. I'm not that privvy on the computer. Again, I thank you. I'll keep trying and then I'll probably have to live with it.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Still hoping someone will come through and solve my problem. Thanks.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:14 am

Persistence can certainly lead to good results!
All right, do you know how to create users on your PC? If yes, go ahead and create another user and install and configure Sleepyhead the best way you know how. Then, import some data and see if it works fine. If you don't know how to create a user on your OS, just read about it on the Internet, there's plenty of info there. If Sleepyhead works fine under those circumstances, then you need to clean up your main installation and redo it. If it doesn't, then there either is something really weird with your PC or with the way you install it. But, let's do the test first and we'll see then.
McSleepy

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:00 am

Vista if I remember right and an HP computer.
Have you ever used a program called CCleaner? It is free and does a decent job without removing stuff it shouldn't. With all your installs and uninstalls and various other problems, I wonder if a good cleaning would help?
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
It also has a separate registry cleaning tool which will clean out the registry as a separate procedure.
I have use this product for years without it ever causing a problem.

It will "clean" out the cookies section also and you might have to log back in to sites with a stored log in cookie like here at the forum. To not have this happen you would need to either tell the program to ignore specific site cookies or simply not remove any cookies.

I have never had this program remove something that it shouldn't. The cookie thing might be an annoyance but easily worked around if you want to tell CCleaner to leave certain cookies alone.

I have no idea if using this program will help you with your runtime error.

If you do install SleepyHead again...make sure you install it under the "run as administrator" command. To get that command when you are ready to double click the downloaded files instead of doing the double click to start the install...right click mouse and choose "run as administrator" command line.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:29 am

Thank you, McSleepy and Pugsy. I cleaned it with CCleaner and other virus cleaners. SuperAntiSpyware was giving me trouble. I got a window to tell me to un-install it. I did. But, did't correct the Runtime Error. I will do as you both say and will let you know the results. George

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:48 am

BTW, I bought PC Unleashed, a clean-up program, and intend to drop it before the 60 day trial. I spoke with a technician,as they have to take over the computer, to install it. She looked through my files and said the I had a "worm" that is corrupting my computer. I checked out a few files and found that the Task Image is corrupt or has been tampered with.MCUpdate.This is the message I was given when I wen into Task Scheduler. She gave me prices on cleaning up my computer with Staples, at $400.00 and with Microsoft at $199.00 a year.She was very persistent on selling me Microsoft. I told her I'd like to think about it and I don't want to make a snap judgement on it. I think they make up things so you will buy these things. What are your thoughts on this encounter?

I know I get myself into a lot of trouble, because of my ignorance of the computer, but I was always able to get someone, or I would luck out, to get out of other troubles I caused.

Give me hell, if you choose to, I can take it. I could keep you busy for the rest of your life with my curiosity and screw-ups. Another thing, I also restored the computer back to 2/16/12. To no avail. Was going to go back farther, yet.

P.S.
She also said I had too many anti-spyware etc. She said I should only use one.

She
Last edited by Gabe on Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:59 am

McSleepy wrote:Persistence can certainly lead to good results!
All right, do you know how to create users on your PC? If yes, go ahead and create another user and install and configure Sleepyhead the best way you know how. Then, import some data and see if it works fine. If you don't know how to create a user on your OS, just read about it on the Internet, there's plenty of info there. If Sleepyhead works fine under those circumstances, then you need to clean up your main installation and redo it. If it doesn't, then there either is something really weird with your PC or with the way you install it. But, let's do the test first and we'll see then.
McSleepy
Do you mean user for the Computer or for SleepyHead?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:09 am

Gabe wrote: She gave me prices on cleaning up my computer with Staples, at $400.00 and with Microsoft at $199.00 a year.She was very persistent on selling me Microsoft. I told her I'd like to think about it and I don't want to make a snap judgement on it. I think they make up things so you will buy these things. What are your thoughts on this encounter?
What the heck is she selling?

My thoughts on "free trials" of products that find a truckload of bad stuff and require purchase of product to "fix" the issues...BS. Crap, horse manure.

I did an experiment years ago...bought a brand new computer...zero issues and zero problems and on the very first day of use tried one of those "free trial registry cleaning programs" and it told me I had so many hundreds of registry issues and worms and crap...that for $80 it would fix everything. This was back in the days when what I did for fun was help people remove malware from their computers and I knew what I was doing and all of the "infections and broken files" was total crap.

If you think you have a bad guy residing on your computer give MalwareBytes a try. It is free and even though they do have a purchase product available with some bells and whistles....the free version will remove any bad guys.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwa ... i_malware/
In the past I found it to be much more effective than SuperAntiSpyware. If you want to try it..be sure and get the updates first.

Did you do the registry scan portion of CCleaner? It is separate scan from the other and it offers to make a back up of any registry issues it fixes?
Gabe wrote:Do you mean user for the Computer or for SleepyHead?
He meant a new computer user account. Fresh user account instead of user "George".

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.