Can AHI of 125 be real?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
imsotired

Post by imsotired » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:29 pm

I was over the 100 mark also. Good luck!

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:37 am

Melissa apneas, hypopneas and respiratory event related arousals can all be put into the equation in deciding to treat SDB-maybe why they like SDB rather than OSA.
Arousal is coming up to a lighter sleep stage-but you are still asleep-awakening is coming out of sleep although you may or may not remember all awakenings the next morning.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

socialnorm

Re: Can AHI of 125 be real?

Post by socialnorm » Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:21 pm

My cardiologist said I had one of the highest scores he's ever seen. Over 120 during a hospital-administered sleep study.

I've been on ASV for 3 months, and I don't hate it. I feel rested most nights when my AHI is under 5. Most nights its 0.2-0.5, but occasionally I have rough nights. Over 6.0, and I feel like death the next day.

McSleepy

Re:

Post by McSleepy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm

KimberlyinMN wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:27 am
Mine was 216 during REM.
Are you sure this is real? Since AHI is calculated over a duration of one hour, or 3600 seconds, it means that your events took on an average duration of 3600/216 = 16.7 seconds. Since apneas and hypopneas are defined as lasting at least 10 seconds, that means that even if your events took exactly the minimum, you'd only have another 6.7s left to take a breath; that's hardly enough to fall in any of the sleep stages, much less into an REM. Or you were never waking up, which is not how diagnosing OSA should work. Not to mention, this equates to an average respiratory rate of 60/16.7 = 3.6; I don't know how long you'd stay alive with such rate but it's not very long. I feel like your lab technicians or whoever interpreted the results (and, apparently, many others) were getting a little too creative extrapolating some data on the polysomnography report. :D

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:07 pm

It is possible, doing the math.
I am inclined to believe, even though my Dx AHI was under 13, but I felt like crap.
This is because I understand that people can be so very different.

Zombie alert!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:11 pm

Folks...pay attention to the dates of any posts you want to respond to.

Zombie thread alert folks....thread started in 2006.
Resurrected by a new member.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

lazarus

Re: Can zombie threads be real?

Post by lazarus » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm

AHI of 114.7 at my diagnostic.

But it's not a competition.

At least, not until the zombie apocalypse.

Then it's every thread for itself.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

heroheroz

Post by heroheroz » Tue Aug 15, 2023 8:56 pm

I have 441 event over 5.6 hours on the initial sleep test, so I have API score of 78.75, explain why I have terrible snoring

Rubicon

Re: Re:

Post by Rubicon » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:46 am

McSleepy wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:20 pm
KimberlyinMN wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:27 am
Mine was 216 during REM.
Are you sure this is real?
Very easily be real, undoubtedly the total REM Time was short (which tends to happen in severe OSA). Stack 2 events/epoch, or 4 events per minute, there's AHI 240.

OTOH, REM apneas tend to be long, so doing that for any length of time would be pretty difficult.

Also they'd have to be apneas, if there were any hypopneas then the intervening sleep/arousal rule would have to come into play (you couldn't cram desats together that frequently).

Fun FAQ from the Scoring People:
R.10.
In some cases, APNEAS AND HYPOPNEAS may begin during an epoch scored as sleep, but end
during an epoch scored as wake. Can these events be scored and used for the computation of
apnea‐hypopnea index?

Yes. If any portion of either the apnea or hypopnea occurs during an epoch that is scored as
sleep, then the corresponding respiratory event can be scored and included in the computation
of the AHI. This situation usually occurs when an individual has a high apnea hypopnea index
with events occurring so frequently that sleep is severely disrupted and epochs may end up
being scored as wake even though there are brief seconds of sleep between the respiratory
events. However, if the apnea or hypopnea occurs entirely during an epoch scored as wake, it
should not be scored or counted towards the apnea‐hypopnea index because of the difficulty of
defining a denominator in that situation. If these occurrences are a prominent feature of the
polysomnogram and/or interfere with sleep onset, their presence should be mentioned in the
narrative summary of the study as well.
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.