chin strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
onward60

chin strap

Post by onward60 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:26 am

I am trying to find a chin strap. Funds are very limited. My sister sent me this one, the kind she uses.

Image Image

It stays on for about an hour. When I wake in the night, the back has slipped up and the top has slipped forward and my mouth is open.

According to my dentist, I have some kind of neuralgia or something that causes mouth pain, and there's nothing he can do about it. I cannot use mouth tape. Tightening anything too much hurts. I don't know if I cannot put it on tight enough or if it's just not the strap for me. Can someone give me an idea of what to do?

Jlfinkels

Re: chin strap

Post by Jlfinkels » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:28 am

Have you considered a soft cervical collar instead? Many of us use them instead of a chinstrap.

Here is an example of the one I use. You can find them much cheaper on Amazon and probably your local pharmacy.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldera-Releaf®- ... B0027CU1PS
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

onward60

Post by onward60 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:27 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:28 am
Have you considered a soft cervical collar instead? Many of us use them instead of a chinstrap.

Here is an example of the one I use. You can find them much cheaper on Amazon and probably your local pharmacy.

https://www.amazon.com/Caldera-Releaf®- ... B0027CU1PS
That's very interesting. I wonder, will it work for me if I sleep flat on my back? That is the only position my joints tolerate.

Jlfinkels

Post by Jlfinkels » Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:49 am

onward60 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:27 pm
That's very interesting. I wonder, will it work for me if I sleep flat on my back? That is the only position my joints tolerate.
It should work, you will just have to adjust it properly. You may also want to consider a taller collar to help with that and will have to experiment a bit to find the one that works for you. I suggest getting into your normal sleep position and measuring from the top of your breastbone to the bottom of your jaw, then adding an inch to account for collar compression.
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

onward60

Post by onward60 » Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:51 pm

Jlfinkels wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:49 am
onward60 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:27 pm
It should work, you will just have to adjust it properly. You may also want to consider a taller collar to help with that and will have to experiment a bit to find the one that works for you. I suggest getting into your normal sleep position and measuring from the top of your breastbone to the bottom of your jaw, then adding an inch to account for collar compression.
:thumbsup:

RNeil

Post by RNeil » Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:37 am

Ebay has many chin straps for less than $10. I got one and was happy with it except it was too hot. My wife likes to set the thermostat high.

McSleepy

Post by McSleepy » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:35 pm

I've been successful in getting my mouth to stay closed by using a silicone mouth guard - it kind of builds an instinctive tendency to bite into it while sleeping, thus preventing my mouth from opening. I also use a homemade chin strap, but I've left it stretch so now it barely holds my chin, but it''s there as a "reminder". I realize not everyone can "train" themselves this way, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

McSleepy

ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto; Puritan-Bennett Breeze nasal pillow mask; healthy, active, middle-aged man; tall, athletic build; stomach sleeper; on CPAP since 2003; lives @ 5000 ft; surgically-corrected deviated septum and turbinates; regular nasal washes