Oral device/mouthpiece and jaw ache

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPQs4All

Oral device/mouthpiece and jaw ache

Post by CPAPQs4All » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:05 pm

Hi, I am considering trying an oral device/mouthpiece for hypopnea but I had slight jaw problems in the past from another issue.

Which would more likely cause jaw ache, a full-face CPAP mask or one of these oral devices?

If any of you have personal experiences of this, that would be helpful too.

Julie

Re: Oral device/mouthpiece and jaw ache

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:40 pm

Oral devices... e.g. TMJ and others, which is not to say many aren't happy with them and feeling better. FF masks don't cause anything like the same problems, though (als0) many have somewhat smaller complaints re fit, leaks, etc etc.
Last edited by Julie on Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:38 am

Julie wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:40 pm
Oral devices... e.g. TMJ and others, which is not to say many are happy with them and feeling better. FF masks don't cause anything like the same problems, though (als0) many have somewhat smaller complaints re fit, leaks, etc etc.
Thanks, so you tried one and it gave you TMJ pain?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:10 am

Nope, but lots of others here have done so - do a keyword forum search for details.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:56 pm

My dentist said that when he did oral appliances, he gave his patients a set of exercises to do every morning when they removed the device because it puts your jaw in a different position than it normally is. He said a lot of people are uncomfortable in them. They are good for mild OSA, but he does not recommend them for anyone with moderate or severe OSA. Other dentists have fewer scruples--there's a big profit margin on them.

Learning to sleep with CPAP involves a learning curve, and masks are uncomfortable at first until you find the right one, and the correct adjustment. But it seems to me that once you've got all that worked out there's no longer any discomfort, but there could be ongoing and significant discomfort with an oral appliance.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:18 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 12:56 pm
My dentist said that when he did oral appliances, he gave his patients a set of exercises to do every morning when they removed the device because it puts your jaw in a different position than it normally is. He said a lot of people are uncomfortable in them. They are good for mild OSA, but he does not recommend them for anyone with moderate or severe OSA. Other dentists have fewer scruples--there's a big profit margin on them.

Learning to sleep with CPAP involves a learning curve, and masks are uncomfortable at first until you find the right one, and the correct adjustment. But it seems to me that once you've got all that worked out there's no longer any discomfort, but there could be ongoing and significant discomfort with an oral appliance.
Thanks, yes, I don't know how my jaw would handle being forced into a different position than it normally is for a whole night every night.

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:34 am

Confirmed. Oral appliances made my TMJ pain and jaw allignment worse. Thinner and less forward versions were better in that regard, but less effective for snoring. I was likely wearing one when taking the overnight oximetry test that led me on the path to CPAP prescription. Happy wife...you know the saying.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.