Provent therapy.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lizistired

Re: Provent therapy.com

Post by Lizistired » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Gerald? wrote:
Lizistired wrote:
Gerald? wrote:
Lizistired wrote: I have an appt with a new dentist who I know has apnea and thought I would ask him for a script to try it. I have fairly mild OSA(AHI 11) but lots of arousals and pretty serious desats without xpap, and I suspect this would cause more. I do have a Zeo and an oximeter to monitor the results to some degree though.
Has anyone seen better deals on trials?
Lizistired

Did you ever try Provent?
Not yet, my appointment is this thursday.
Had a chance to try it yet?
No, We didn't even get there. Too many teeth issues, and a new dentist. I might drop by my sleep docs office and ask about it. Other things going on right now that seem more important.

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 pm

Lizistired wrote:No, We didn't even get there. Too many teeth issues, and a new dentist. I might drop by my sleep docs office and ask about it. Other things going on right now that seem more important.
Stuff happens, sort the important stuff first. I might just have to get an oximeter myself and try.

Maybe someone else might chime in. Anyone else tried provent with an oximeter?

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 pm

I have dropped my pressure recently. Just from 8 to 7, which was my prescribed pressure. I also went without the mask for a few hours just to see what my stats really were. I put the oximeter in alarm mode. I need the mask to keep from going below 88%. You also have to consider that a PSG ensures that you get into REM, preferably supine at that given pressure. I can't monitor that.
Provent is another toy for me so not really a priority right now. As long as I sleep better, I don't care how I do it. Lately, I have been sleeping better and I don't think I want to mess with that.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:41 pm

I came into this thread 8 pages too late...

Couple questions...

What are the nasal resistor (resistance? resistive?) valve options? Just Provent?
Is anyone here using them, or tried using them?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm

How does one ever do a NPSG on Provent? Where would the nasal transducer thingie go?
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

paleolith

Post by paleolith » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Passiflora wrote:air flow would be difficult to assess since the nasal passages are blocked while wearing Provent (no room for a cannula)
Provent does offer a a nasal cannula that's compatible with their device. (See the PDF link at the bottom of the page, or search for "cannula" on the page.)

I don't claim to know whether it provides the same information.

Edward

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 pm

paleolith wrote:
Passiflora wrote:air flow would be difficult to assess since the nasal passages are blocked while wearing Provent (no room for a cannula)
Provent does offer a a nasal cannula that's compatible with their device. (See the PDF link at the bottom of the page, or search for "cannula" on the page.)

Edward
I don't think I would have a PSG, much less pay for a PSG to find out if a $20 device worked. When I get around to trying it, it will either work, or it won't. JMHO.

NightMonkey

Post by NightMonkey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:06 am

paleolith wrote:

Edward
That is only for use in a sleep lab to replace the usual cannulas used during in-lab PSGs. It has no application for home use and is not sold to patients.

From some other threads:
NightMonkey wrote:Image

Any AHI above 2.0 is not good for me!

NightMonkey wrote:
MaxDarkside wrote:
OK, so I would go from SEVERE to merely moderate. Thanks for posting that graph.

Not necessarily. Those are median numbers.

You might be an outlier. You could stay at severe or go to "normal".

The studies show some treated fully and some not treated at all. But, IMO, these are crude and small studies.

Like you, I won't drop CPAP treatment without a method to evaluate my at-home treatment on an ongoing basis. Data is important for achieving, verifying and maintaining gains in any process. Provent provides no data.

A quote from the Provent website: "Breathe out through the mouth while awake. The patient will naturally shift to nasal breathing when asleep."
http://www.proventtherapy.com/hcp/patient-selection.php
NightMonkey
Blow my oropharynx!

the hairy, hairy gent who ran amok in Kent

VVV

Post by VVV » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:18 am

Interesting reading. I found this on the Provent site:
Provent Therapy should not be used if patient has any of the following conditions*:
An acute upper respiratory (including nasal, sinus or middle ear) inflammation or infection or perforation of the ear drum
http://www.proventtherapy.com/hcp/patient-selection.php
I had a cold for three days earlier this week and every night I thought how pleasant it was to sleep well because my CPAP was forcing my airway open all night. I certainly would not give that up for Provent which cannot be used with a cold.
.....................................V

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 am

But Provent works for many:

HEALTH | April 09, 2012
Well: Treating Sleep Apnea Without the Mask
By ANAHAD O'CONNOR
An alternative form of C.P.A.P. is gaining popularity for sleep apnea patients: a patch that fits over the nostrils.

Link:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/0 ... /?emc=eta1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:06 am

AD.
But very interesting comments after.
The Lhasa Apso that keeps the guy on his side was hysterical!

big o

Re: Provent therapy

Post by big o » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I use a CPAP and love it, but wanted to try Provent for travel. Sent my doctor the website and got a trial prescription. The first night was not good. I have allergies and find that my CPAP tends to open up my nasal passages. So I did fall asleep for 1 or 2 hours, but it didn't work well. The second night I sprayed my nose with Nasal Decongestant. This did work better, but my wife said that I was waking up every ten minutes of so to exhale through my mouth. Went back to my CPAP after a few hours. So the second night was better, but not great. I have the normal resistance Provent and I am wondering if there is a low resistance Provent. As a bigger man, i think that I need to breath out more, but not sure. I plan to try again tonight.

Sally M

Re: Provent

Post by Sally M » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:15 pm

I have been using Provent for three nights now. I had been diagnosed with mild to moderate sleep apnea about 5 years ago, used a cpap for about 1 1/2 years before giving it up. I could not sleep with it on and tried numerous masks. I can't stand wearing anything to bed, no jewelry, preferably no pajamas! Most nights I feel like the princess and the pea, where any little thing makes it uncomfortable. So I gave up on cpap. But along with the apnea, I snore like a freight train which usually keeps my significant other awake. The last few nights, he said he slept fine and all I had were "baby snores"! Yay! So, for me, so far, so good. It is an improvement from using nothing or trying to sleep with the cpap.

Sally

Rlwphd

Post by Rlwphd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 am

I have used it three nights and I can state unequivocally that it works well for my moderate apnea. The design is excellent and the engineering behind it is logical. Even though I am offering my subjective results the incontrovertible fact is that the system should perform well. It is defintely worth trying as an alternative or even substitute for CPAP.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:10 am

Rlwphd wrote:the incontrovertible fact is that the system should perform well.
Incontrovertible fact... Wow, that's a lot of confidence you have in it for a guy who hasn't had a sleep study done with it.
It is defintely worth trying as an alternative or even substitute for CPAP.
Well, I agree with this part. It is worth trying.