Watchout for "accredited sleep labs" that are not so

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Watchout for "accredited sleep labs" that are not so

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:37 pm

Thank you Avi, for the "heads up".
The need to check out a site before submitting to a test is most definitely a good idea--one that might not occur to everyone.
As expensive as these tests are, one would expect some basic standards of comfort and cleanliness.
When we are expected to sleep, conditions need to be directed to that end.
A facility that 'phones it in' needs to be avoided.

rocklin

Post by rocklin » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:09 am

Hi avi

1. You are constantly hitting your upper limit, and when you do, that's where the apneas are bunched up.

Your software is telling you that it thinks your unit needs more headroom.

2. Your software is also saying that it doesn't believe that 7 is a number you should use. Other than your start-up, from your charts (just the two) it appears that your machine uses a much higher level than 7 for it's baseline stenting.

3. Do you sleep much of the night on your back? Full-face masks and sleeping on your back is a bad combination. You can train yourself to sleep most of the night on your side.

From my own experience, it's better to set a higher "floor" (minimum pressure). I'd give 9 or 10 a try.)

VPAPs are forever closing the barn door a full minute too late. You need to set a floor that stents your airway adequately throughout the night.

Once you establish that number (through trial and error), you can carefully experiment with other parameters.

And, yes, if you need the higher pressures, a relief of "3" isn't enough.

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance - Aesop

So Well

Post by So Well » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:19 pm

rocklin wrote:Hi avi

1. You are constantly hitting your upper limit, and when you do, that's where the apneas are bunched up.

Your software is telling you that it thinks your unit needs more headroom.

2. Your software is also saying that it doesn't believe that 7 is a number you should use. Other than your start-up, from your charts (just the two) it appears that your machine uses a much higher level than 7 for it's baseline stenting.

3. Do you sleep much of the night on your back? Full-face masks and sleeping on your back is a bad combination. You can train yourself to sleep most of the night on your side.

From my own experience, it's better to set a higher "floor" (minimum pressure). I'd give 9 or 10 a try.)

VPAPs are forever closing the barn door a full minute too late. You need to set a floor that stents your airway adequately throughout the night.

Once you establish that number (through trial and error), you can carefully experiment with other parameters.

And, yes, if you need the higher pressures, a relief of "3" isn't enough.

I agree with this except I would set the min pressure at 12.

Some of you have written that for pressures at 14 or above your doctor titrates and prescribes BIPAP. Sounds like a good rule of thumb.

Avi, How did you do over the weekend? Sorry about all the crap you are having to endure.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson