O.T.: Coconut Oil and Alzheimer's/Dementia

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nazanian

Re: O.T.: Coconut Oil and Alzheimer's/Dementia

Post by nazanian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:10 am

ozij wrote::shock:
Sorry. I don't go by abstacts, and refuse to pay $31 for a study done on rabbits and publish in 1988.

I am not a rabbit. I would not do well on rabbit food.
As you see I haven't had to go to the last news to find evidences: 1988.
I bet you read complete medical researches and understand everything they say because you have medical studies. But for that reason, you should believe abstracts from studies that are published in well known prestige pages.
For the same reason, you know scientific investigation has always been done on animals before humans. I have given you serious links about effects of coconut oil in lab animals. At least give me a serious link with at least anatomicophatological evidences for benefits of coconut oil in Alzheimer disease.
Otherwise, it would be other case of medical charlatanism.
Please excuse my limited English.

Lizistired

Post by Lizistired » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:06 am

Studying how rabbits(herbivores) process oils, seems akin to studying how rats(nocturnal) get vitamin D.

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Lizistired wrote:Studying how rabbits(herbivores) process oils, seems akin to studying how rats(nocturnal) get vitamin D.
Here you have one study in hamsters. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10673913

May be you think the worry of those scientists is how different animals process different type of oils.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:38 pm

1-"Average plasma cholesterol was twice as high in the coconut oil/cholesterol-fed rabbits than in olive oil/cholesterol-fed rabbits."
2-"Aortic cholesterol increased in proportion to plasma cholesterol concentrations ."
Increased total cholesterol is MEANINGLESS. Your argument was that small, dense LDL was increased. The article you cite does not say that. It says "plasma cholesterol", which I would take to mean total cholesterol. Total cholesterol may be increased because HDL increased--that's a good thing, very desireable. And the little bit you quoted doesn't say how the numbers were calculated, in any case. The most common method (Freidenwald equation) of counting LDL particles becomes inaccurate (skews too high) when triglycerides fall below 100. That little exerpt gives NO information to determine what they are really talking about, and how it was measured.

Finally, rabbits are herbivores, and most of their fats come from polyunsaturates. Their metabolisms may not be equipped to handle saturated fats. Ours are.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:06 pm

Janknitz wrote:
1-"Average plasma cholesterol was twice as high in the coconut oil/cholesterol-fed rabbits than in olive oil/cholesterol-fed rabbits."
2-"Aortic cholesterol increased in proportion to plasma cholesterol concentrations ."
Increased total cholesterol is MEANINGLESS. Your argument was that small, dense LDL was increased. The article you cite does not say that. It says "plasma cholesterol", which I would take to mean total cholesterol. Total cholesterol may be increased because HDL increased--that's a good thing, very desireable. And the little bit you quoted doesn't say how the numbers were calculated, in any case. The most common method (Freidenwald equation) of counting LDL particles becomes inaccurate (skews too high) when triglycerides fall below 100. That little exerpt gives NO information to determine what they are really talking about, and how it was measured.

Finally, rabbits are herbivores, and most of their fats come from polyunsaturates. Their metabolisms may not be equipped to handle saturated fats. Ours are.
If I pasted that link was because the mere fact of cholesterol playing a definitive role in atherosclerosis was in doubt in this thread. Example:
ozij wrote: LDL-C is not a a good predictor of atherosclerosis.
Eating saturated fat raises your HDL. And changes the size of LDL particles to the benign large ones.

You will find links to support my statement in my recent threads on this forum. Search for them. Study them - it may have a big impact on your health.

The article also mentions that "cholesterol that deposits in blood vessels is twice as high in coconut oil than in olive oil." Actually, if you don't go beyond LDL or HDL type, the quote is far enough as an argument. And not poor.

If you don't like the study with rabbits, go to the rhesus monkeys one instead which is the second link I suggested.

Anyway, saying that studies in small animals (herbivores or not) are useless to investigate in humans, is not true. That position tells that hundreds of thousands of studies in animals are useless to study the human being. It is putting into question scientific method. But you talk about herbivores: In particular that study is published in atherosclerosis journal, and what you are saying is that people who elaborate the journal is interested in what happens to those rabbits. Otherwise, they would have never allowed to publish that useless study for humans.

What I am saying is known from decades ago: role of LDL- cholesterol in artherosclerosis, high rate of LDL in coconut oil, etc. And I just went to the first links that appeared in GOOGLE ACADEMICS due it was so obvious for me.

Again, any proved therapy for any disease should go under elaborated tests, under scientific method. Then it is published in a scientific journal. An then published worldwide. That is how medicine works as I understand medicine. If anyone thinks medicine may be other things, it's his/her choice. Thanks.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:21 am

Again, any proved therapy for any disease should go under elaborated tests, under scientific method. Then it is published in a scientific journal. An then published worldwide. That is how medicine works as I understand medicine. If anyone thinks medicine may be other things, it's his/her choice. Thanks.
I certainly hope that any medical therapy your receive from your doctors is based on the most recent advances in studies with human beings, and not on decades old findings based on any non-human creature.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 am

ozij wrote:
I certainly hope that any medical therapy your receive from your doctors is based on the most recent advances in studies with human beings, and not on decades old findings based on any non-human creature.
Last edited by nazanian on Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 am

Ozig, you get the wrong end of the stick. As Miguel Servet described blood circulation some hundreds years ago, that knowledge I talk about is valid nowadays. Those were only examples.

If someone looks for "coconut oil atherosclerosis" in GOOGLE ACADEMICS, it will be found 10 500 links:http://scholar.google.es/scholar?start= ... s&as_sdt=0
And many of those studies are made in animals.

Any recent advance must be verified under scientific homologated study.

ozij wrote: I am not a rabbit.
I will not be used as a guinea pig unless I decide it so.
ozij wrote: I certainly hope that any medical therapy your receive from your doctors is based on the most recent advances in studies with human beings, and not on decades old findings based on any non-human creature.
ozij wrote:Nazanian,
You will find links to support my statement in my recent threads on this forum. Search for them. Study them - it may have a big impact on your health.

You could be surprised of the level of understanding I have from any treatment I receive from any M.D.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:20 am

I have to correct an error I made in the text you quoted:
ozij wrote: You will find links to support my statement in my recent threads on this forum. Search for them. Study them - it may have a big impact on your health.
I was thinking of recent "posts" of course, not "threads".

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 am

Ozig, I appreciate very much your support and dedication helping CPAP users in this forum. Thanks.

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:52 am

Here is a list of peer reviewed studies on VCO and medium chain triglycerides: http://www.coconutoil.com/peer_reviewed.htm

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Pithy quote: "People are very open-minded about new things--as long as they're exactly like the old ones."

»C.F. Kettering

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Most anthologists of quotations are like those who eat cherries or oysters: first picking the best ones and winding up by eating everything. ~Sebastien Roch Nicolas Chamfort, Maxims, 1825