Plugging In...In Spain

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Plugging In...In Spain

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

I have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fly to Jerez de la Frontera next month to study flamenco.

After careful study, it appears that I ONLY need a plug adapter, such as this:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/World- ... -CPAP.html

to use my CPAP machine in Spain, because the PR System One will set itself to run on the correct voltage, if I am interpreting this paragraph correctly: " This system operates automatically between 110v and 240v AC. When traveling either inside or outside the USA, there are no switches to switch or fuses to change. The machine will automatically sense what voltage is needed and set itself to run on that power."

Do I need to get a battery for the overnight flights, or will I be able to plug the machine into one of the laptop outlets? I'm flying on American Airlines. Do I need more information? What do I need to ask the airline?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Plugging In...In Spain

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:22 pm

I don't really know, but bumping you up--and; congratulations!
Have a wonderful time!

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

Drowsy Dancer

I can only answer about the plug adapter. Yes is the answer, I don't remember which one is for Spain but it is in that box and the machine works without only that adapter to add. If you want to know google it and you will find which is the one.

DiverCTHunter

Post by DiverCTHunter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 am

For power, you'll need either a pin-style to spade style socket adapter or a pin-style power cable for the AC adapter brick.

For flying, you'll want to put your mask and hose in a baggie, have a copy of your prescription and a copy of the FAA guidelines regarding medical equipment. There are a number of threads about flying internationally with a CPAP. They boil down to these 4 guidelines - expect delays, bring paperwork, be respectful, empty the humidifier.

Prescribed APAP range - 6-10 cm/H2O, titrated at 8.
Current range - 9.0-11.5 cm/H2O - still searching for the magic "zero night" but averaging 2.2 AHI

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:07 pm

You are right. The machine also works at 220. You can find that adapter easily, but better if you already come with it. Greetings from Spain.
Please excuse my limited English.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Do I need to get a battery for the overnight flights, or will I be able to plug the machine into one of the laptop outlets? I'm flying on American Airlines. Do I need more information? What do I need to ask the airline?
I know that AirCanada does not allow you to plug in, and you need to give them 48 hours notice.

On the american airlines website
CPAP machine

Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnoea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.
http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/jbax/inclu ... dinfo.html

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

old64mb

Post by old64mb » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 pm

1. AA will let you plug in via laptop port, but just make sure to let the captain know you're planning on doing so. They normally don't have a problem with it. However, you can't run a humidifier - not enough amps - so if you want to do so bring a battery.

2. Once there, just remember to get 2 room keys - since in most hotels you'll need one of them plugged into a slot in the wall to provide power to all outlets. They take electricity conservation very seriously since they were so short production for many, many years.

Mucho gusto!

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

Gracias, y'all!

I wasn't expecting to be able to use the humidifier inflight. I haven't flown much since getting my CPAP, but the times I have I've not needed the wad of regulations I stuck in my bag.

I'll be staying in an apartment, not a hotel, but the comment about energy conservation jogged my memory to the last time I was in Spain and the obscure museums I went to that had light switches in each room that went off on a timer.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I've been in Spain for a week now, and am sleeping (and living) very well.

Two tips for travellers:

(1) It helps to learn how to disconnect your dehumidifier from your blower IN ADVANCE of your trip. Trying to figure out how to do it in the dark on the airplane for the first time is not a good idea.

(2) Not every seat on an airplane has an electrical outlet. The outlets on some planes need cigarette lighter adapters. The flight attendant rounded up one eventually but I had to change seats to use it. Not a restful night.

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Did you fly into Madrid and then take a small plane to Jerez? If so, did thy make you check your cpap on that small plane? I fly ino Jerez when I visit my son, but haven't had the courage to do so since I've been on CPAP. I can't sleep on planes, so it makes for a few miserable days when I first get there.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:07 pm

OutaSync wrote:Did you fly into Madrid and then take a small plane to Jerez? If so, did thy make you check your cpap on that small plane? I fly ino Jerez when I visit my son, but haven't had the courage to do so since I've been on CPAP. I can't sleep on planes, so it makes for a few miserable days when I first get there.
I flew into Madrid, si, and took what I thought was going to be a small plane but was in fact quite a large plane into Jerez. They did not make me check my CPAP.

Curiously, my CPAP is a third carryon bag for me, but not once have I been asked to pay extra to carry it on.

What is your son doing in Jerez? Are you from Jerez??

OutaSync

Post by OutaSync » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I was on a tiny plane from Madrid to Jerez, all three times I took that route. All carryon had to be checked. My ASV bag is 14 x 11 x 9 and since it is so heavy, I have to put it in somethin bigger, with wheels. I don't really want it thrown in the back of a plane, so I haven't been to Spain since my diagnosis in 2007.

My son works for the US goverment at the Navy base in Rota. It's beautiful over there, isn't it? I miss being able to see my grandchildren.

Sleep Study Titrated to 19 cm H2O
Rotating between Activa and Softgel
11/2/07 RemStar M Series Auto with AFlex 14-17
10/17/08 BiPAP Auto SV 13/13-23, BPM Auto, AHI avg <1