Sleep Apnea Link to Alzheimer's Disease

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Grand-PAP

Sleep Apnea Link to Alzheimer's Disease

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:09 am

Sleep Apnea doubles a person's risk for Alzheimer's Disease
Hi,

I often see posters who express such frustration that they are considering discontinuing therapy. Immediately a gang of posters jump in and attempt to give the information and support that will motivate them to stay on therapy.

Well, if you need another reason . . .

I just watched a PBS special conducted by Daniel G. Amen MD. He is the author of this book: Use Your Brain to Change Your Age.

During the show he mentioned this statistic:

"A person with Sleep Apnea doubles the risk for Alzheimer's Disease." He further stated, "the brain scan of a person with Sleep Apnea looks like the brain of a person with early Alzheimer's."

(Excuse me -- I'm gonna' go put my mask on!)

So Well

Re: Sleep Apnea Link to Alzheimer's Disease

Post by So Well » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am

Correlation only?

or

Cause and effect?

If the latter, which is the cause and which is the effect?
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Grand-PAP

Post by Grand-PAP » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 am

So Well wrote:Correlation only?

or

Cause and effect?

?
Good question. He didn't say. However, the entire program "appeared" to be regarding things that negatively impact the brain. On second thought, maybe he did. He used that statistic while discussing insomnia and how sleep apnea can deprive the brain of necessary oxygen.

For this post, in a way, I guess it doesn't matter. 1) Correlation only, 2) Alzheimer's causes Sleep Apnea or 3) Sleep Apnea cause Alzheimer's -- Each of them would support maintaining effective xPAP therapy.

Last edited by Grand-PAP on Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

So Well

Post by So Well » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:53 am

Grand-PAP wrote:
For this post, in a way, I guess it doesn't matter. 1) Correlation only, 2) Alzheimer's causes Sleep Apnea or 3) Sleep Apnea cause Alzheimer's -- Each of them would support maintaining effective xPAP therapy.
Not.

If 2, then I have no desire to be treated. The sooner out, the better.
So Well
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Emilia

Post by Emilia » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 am

This lecture is very interesting..... a study in which elderly patients (some with and some without Dx'd OSA) are given cpap and the results on cognitive function are interesting! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM-l5D3Tzig

Yes, that blue eyed beauty is my cat! He is a seal point, bi-color Ragdoll. I adopted him in '08 from folks who could no longer care for him. He is a joy and makes me smile each and every day.

nazanian

Post by nazanian » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:45 am

So Well wrote:
Grand-PAP wrote:
Not.

If 2, then I have no desire to be treated. The sooner out, the better.
What if you get an early Alzheimer diagnosis?
Please excuse my limited English.