Marking Silicone

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jdm2857

Marking Silicone

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:03 am

Now that I've started accumulating pillows, I want to be able to mark them so that I know which is which. Marking silicone, however, is a bit tough. Sharpie ink, for example, just beads up on the surface.

Has anyone found a simple way to mark silicone?
jeff

Wulfman

Re: Marking Silicone

Post by Wulfman » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:15 am

jdm2857 wrote:Now that I've started accumulating pillows, I want to be able to mark them so that I know which is which. Marking silicone, however, is a bit tough. Sharpie ink, for example, just beads up on the surface.

Has anyone found a simple way to mark silicone?
For which purpose? Their chronology? Left - Right?

How about getting a plastic container (box) with lots of dividers in it and then mark the sections you're going to keep them in.
You could probably find something like that in the fishing tackle section of the sporting goods department (among other places).

Little (Ziploc style) plastic bags? You can write on them with Sharpie markers.

Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:32 am

I'd like to try to reinforce some silicone. Has anyone tried the moldable earplugs or 2-part kneaded food grade silicone to modify cushions or pillows? Will anything stick?

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

Check the lab rat thread (sorry, I don't have it bookmarked on this computer). Rubber O rings can be used to make the pillows stand up "taller" when they start to wear out, and there is this great fix where the pillows from a Breeze nasal system are morphed onto a Swift cushion.

As for marking pillows, for Swift pillows I have found a small raised number inside right between the two pillows and it's not always the same number--probably from different manufacturing plants?
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:24 am

I have marked them with a marker containing permanent ink. It will work sufficiently, but not elegantly.

Sharpie, Bic and other manufacturers make lines of markers containing permanent ink. Don't get it on your shirt and hide it from the kids.

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 am

Even permanent ink wears off off silicone with cleaning.

I have a bundle of re4latiely small zip lock bags (each holds a pillow). I purchased them at Staples. I number then according to age so I can rotate them or know which ones need to be pitched. A peramnent marker will mark the zip lock bag and, when I wash a pillow I put it back in its' own bag when it is dry, if I am not going to use it again immediately. Some pillows come in zip lock bags so I mark them and use them the same way.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap

qq303884361

Post by qq303884361 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Marking silicone can indeed be tricky since many inks don't adhere well. What has worked for me is using a small piece of masking tape or a label, and then writing on that. It's a simple, non-permanent solution, and it helps keep track of different items effectively. Just make sure to place it in a spot where it won't interfere with the use of the pillow.
Last edited by qq303884361 on Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Janknitz wrote: As for marking pillows, for Swift pillows I have found a small raised number inside right between the two pillows and it's not always the same number--probably from different manufacturing plants?
I think that the small numbers identify the mold in which the pillow was made. If inspectors begin to find defective pillows, it is essential to know where to look for the source of the problem.
jeff