To Carry, or Not?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Kiralynx

Re: To Carry, or Not?

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:45 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:03 pm
Under those circumstance, I would take surface transportation. However, I realize that might not work for you. Also, I understand that a puppy would not be able to sit still for the amount of time required and that you would need to find accommodations that accept dogs.

I gather that you're planning on flying there, picking up the puppy and flying home the same day (no overnights if all goes as planned).

The question is that if you do get stuck overnight, what is the risk to your health? If it's critical, then you really need to have it with you!
We have an RV. But it's still winter in the Rockies, which I would have to cross to reach SFO. I know how to drive in snow, but I don't choose to have my first adventure of driving a 35' motorhome in mountains also be my first adventure of driving it in snow. Plus, I can't do more than about 300 miles a day, thanks to torn rotator cuffs, so it would be close to 10 days out there and ten days back, assuming we didn't stop to sight-see on the way.

The risk to my health is severe pain from low oxygen. I've gone up to 7 days without my Beastie, though not willingly. Beasties do not work well without electricity, which is now why we have a whole house generator for hurricanes and such-like. I do not go without it willingly, although when my husband landed himself in the ER last fall, I did go 36 hours without it, and only such sleep as I got sitting up.

My preference is to have it, if I can figure out how not to lose my mind dealing with TSA.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:52 pm

When I first saw this post, I thought it was about guns :roll: :roll:

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:20 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:47 pm
So sorry for your loss of Harper.
Harper was beyond a special Boy, and I have had Dachshunds for 52 years. He was my third longhaired Dachshund.
Congratulations with the new puppy! What breed?
Standard Longhaired Dachshund. These pups not only have Harper's lineage, they add that of an Australian Supreme Champion. Stubborn, Smart, Lovable.
I would bring your machine, on the off chance of a delay. Since you are not planning to stay overnight, is there room in your carry-on so that you don't have to carry the separate bag? I know security will be an issue, but I'm assuming you will have wheelchair assistance who can help with that process. Last time I traveled, we hand-carried our laptops to security and then put our laptops in the carryon bag after security so that we didn't have to carry an extra bag.

Well, I'm not going to be there long enough to need my laptop. The Kindle and the smartphone will have to do.

I will have my mobility scooter and my cane, so won't be using the wheelchair service. The plan is to ride the scoot to the gate and gate check it. It's Travel Scoot, so with battery, the whole contraption only weighs 35 pounds.

I will take one of my suitcases similar to this https://www.ebags.com/luggage/carry-on- ... 8XXXX.html The plan is to wear my regular trous, a long sleeved shirt with a short sleeved over -- extra warmth on cold planes, plus I can change shirts if the weather happens to be warmer. I will naturally have a jacket. If room, an extra pair of shoes. Probably will wear an extra pair of socks and my slip-on sandals for ease of getting through Security. I'll carry an extra pair of trousers, and shirt set plus 2-3 days of undergarments. Vitamins, Meds for 2-3 days on the just-in-case principle. I think there will be room for the Beastie. I'm thinking I might put Beastie in a two gallon plastic bag, and hose and mask in another one to keep it all together when TSA starts disassembling my luggage.
Please post photos of your new puppy and tell us how it went.
Oh, I shall. My current dilemma is that there are two of them that I want -- and I'm only allowed one on the flight!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:44 pm

Just compare their kisses.
Dog slobber is like truth serum--I think . . .

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:57 pm

Kiralynx wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:45 pm
D.H. wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:03 pm
Under those circumstance, I would take surface transportation. However, I realize that might not work for you. Also, I understand that a puppy would not be able to sit still for the amount of time required and that you would need to find accommodations that accept dogs.

I gather that you're planning on flying there, picking up the puppy and flying home the same day (no overnights if all goes as planned).

The question is that if you do get stuck overnight, what is the risk to your health? If it's critical, then you really need to have it with you!
We have an RV. But it's still winter in the Rockies, which I would have to cross to reach SFO. I know how to drive in snow, but I don't choose to have my first adventure of driving a 35' motorhome in mountains also be my first adventure of driving it in snow. Plus, I can't do more than about 300 miles a day, thanks to torn rotator cuffs, so it would be close to 10 days out there and ten days back, assuming we didn't stop to sight-see on the way.

The risk to my health is severe pain from low oxygen. I've gone up to 7 days without my Beastie, though not willingly. Beasties do not work well without electricity, which is now why we have a whole house generator for hurricanes and such-like. I do not go without it willingly, although when my husband landed himself in the ER last fall, I did go 36 hours without it, and only such sleep as I got sitting up.

My preference is to have it, if I can figure out how not to lose my mind dealing with TSA.
I don't know your starting point but you could hop down to the 10 and take the southern route to California. But after my last trip there in January I'd say you are better off flying in and out as quick as you can. Between the $5 a gallon gas and all the just general run down grunginess, I won't be going near California anytime soon. We wound up taking my husbands scooter apart and locking the pieces in his Tahoe to keep it from being stolen off the back of his truck. I hadn't been to California since before the lockdowns and I didn't realize it had gotten so scary there. Best wishes with the new puppy. My family has been tempting me with puppy pics but my heart is still in pieces. Maybe after I get through the wedding (daughter getting married in April).

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:12 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:44 pm

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:19 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:12 am
chunkyfrog wrote:
I should have said "puppy drool."

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:46 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:12 am
chunkyfrog wrote:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:09 am

Oh my, so sorry to hear about your doggie. Our little girl is older and having some issues and we are in dread of when her time with us ends. Hope your new puppy brings you much joy.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:22 am

Please post puppy pics and his name when you can.