chin strap alternative

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepysue55

chin strap alternative

Post by sleepysue55 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello--I have used CPAP for one year now for severe OSA, had lots of ups and downs, but by far the biggest challenge has been finding a way to keep my big mouth shut at night! I have tried several different retail chin straps, and some homemade ones like an ace wrap. A lot of them slip off my head. I had a good option at one point but found this was why I was suddenly biting my tongue painfully, so stopped that. The FFM I have leaks easily and I still wake with the uncomfortable dry mouth even though I use a humidifier.

I was so discouraged I totally quit using my CPAP for several months, but then started it back up again to try try again.

Then I stumbled on a solution (for me)---I started wearing a soft cervical collar because of some recurring neck problems, and as I had it on realized it may help me keep my mouth shut at night---and it works! These collars are soft foam and are no more expensive than a chin strap. I think it will work the best if you have a short neck, which I do, so it rests right up under my chin/jaw. I know it may not be totally comfortable at first, but I found the chin straps less comfortable than this collar.

Just wanted to throw this out there. If it helps just one person it is worth it!

pap4life

Re: chin strap alternative

Post by pap4life » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:48 pm

I wear a chin strap so I appreciate your offer of opinion about the collar/. Thanks much.

Where does one purchase (and $$?) a collar as you mentioned.?

squid13

Post by squid13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:54 pm

You can get them at a medical DME, one that sells hospital supplies. You might also try Walgreens or CVS.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

jamiswolf

Post by jamiswolf » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:34 pm

SS,
Great idea and thank you for that. Interestingly, cervical collars are occasionally used to maintain neck extension to minimize obstructive events (see Mars posts). so you may actually be getting two benefits from the collar.
J

DaveL

Post by DaveL » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Thanks for your post.

I tried 3 chin straps, and a hockey mouth guard before I tried a pap cap. Tried tape too. The pap cap works for me. I'll confess I hate looking like a freak wearing that and my nasal mask all night long...better than the alternative though.

It ain't easy being compliant. 15 years and counting.

Regards,
DaveL Toronto

pap4life

Post by pap4life » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I thank everyone for their info. Its a "I gotta go try one," now..

Sir Dave

Post by Sir Dave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:38 pm

DaveL wrote:Thanks for your post.

I tried 3 chin straps, and a hockey mouth guard before I tried a pap cap. Tried tape too. The pap cap works for me. I'll confess I hate looking like a freak wearing that and my nasal mask all night long...better than the alternative though.

It ain't easy being compliant. 15 years and counting.

I have to agree, the PapCap is the bees-knees. 9 years of Cpap, at least 7 different chin straps. Leaks in the 20-30L range (95%?) for the past year with the Swift FX & S9 Auto. 2 weeks with the PapCap, never had leaks over 8, most under 2. On top of that, it's not even really tight. No marks on the side of my face, only under the chin. The fabric in the strap just has the correct amount of 'give', for me at least. I basically have to use pillows due to lack of cartilage in my nose. Masks like the Quattro FX close off my nasal passage on one side.
I'm really looking forward to catching up on some sleep.

SleepingUgly

Post by SleepingUgly » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:44 pm

But do you puff air out of your mouth with the Pap Cap?? This is my problem... Even if I keep my jaw shut, my lips will puff air out of them, waking me.
Never put your fate entirely in the hands of someone who cares less about it than you do. --Sleeping Ugly

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:57 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:But do you puff air out of your mouth with the Pap Cap?? This is my problem... Even if I keep my jaw shut, my lips will puff air out of them, waking me.
This is the problem with ALL chin straps. They keep your jaw shut, but air still leaks from your mouth on exhales. You need to tape your mouth or just go for a FF mask..that's what they are for. For me the FF mask was MUCH easier than using a chin strap (PapCap) and taping.

Sir Dave

Post by Sir Dave » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:33 pm

SleepingUgly wrote:But do you puff air out of your mouth with the Pap Cap?? This is my problem... Even if I keep my jaw shut, my lips will puff air out of them, waking me.
I'm not aware of any mouth breathing with this strap unless I'm on my back. Nothing will stop my mouth breathing if I'm on my back. Thing is, I'm sleeping so much better with the PapCap that I'm staying on my side more. In all honesty, basically in one position for 7 hours. I'm also focusing on my tongue placement (roof of mouth) which I've tried times before without success. I'm thinking the lack of 'give' in this chinstrap is making the difference for me, others I've used allowed me to drop my chin down pretty easily.

FF Masks. Tried and failed. Haven't found a one yet that stays sealed for more than 4 hours. Went 3 months switching between a Quattro (forehead piece) & Liberty Mirage to get thru the night. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Never had been so tired. I love the Liberty Mirage, but I can't get past 4 hours without the dreaded 'face farts'. Straight silicon, t-shirt lining, didn't matter. I'm thinking it's a facial relaxation thingy.

I'm thinking about trying the Liberty again when my wife's away. Just to see if the PapCap makes a difference. But she's gotta be away, the 'face farts' makes for an unhappy wifey, for sure.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:20 pm

I had a couple of cervical collars from neck surgery so I thought I'd try one. It turned out to be my worst night I've had as far as AHI goes. I had 50 hypopneas, 28 obstructives and 5 CA's for an AHI of 10.5. My normal AHI is below 2. I'm a side sleeper so I figure the collar somehow was putting pressure on my airway. You never know until you try so now I know it won't work for me.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV