Seeking Temporary Solution for Bruxism/Jaw clenching

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RationalEntropy

Seeking Temporary Solution for Bruxism/Jaw clenching

Post by RationalEntropy » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:49 am

I realize that sporting goods places sale mouth pieces. I was wondering if someone could recommend one, as it may be a while before I can make a trip to the dentist. Also, if anyone has used a mouth guard what is 1) the probability of swallowing it/choking on it, 2) Does it negatively affect AHI for someone with a fullface mask, 3) would it actually help with the the teeth and jaw issue?

On the bright side, my AHI is now down to 1.3 as a weekly average consistently.

john5396

Re: Seeking Temporary Solution for Bruxism/Jaw clenching

Post by john5396 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:12 am

My wife has a mouthpiece from the Dentist for Bruxism. The dentist told her, while she was waiting to get the dental one, not to use a sports one.

The dental mouthguard is hard, not giving any purchase to your teeth, so that the teeth slide in the guard. The sports mothguards are soft, intended to provide cusioning reducing the occurrences of concusions.

The dentist indicated that because the sports guards are soft, that they are not an effective treatment.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 am

My brother-in-law is a dentist and made a soft mouthpiece to wear. Unfortunately, it aggravated my TMJ issues and I tended to brux on it. Since it's soft and pliable, I even chewed and gnawed on it. Finally threw it out. I may have protected my teeth but hurt my TMJ.

Last edited by VikingGnome on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm

I have been using a boil and bite sports mouthguard since October....no problems. I have broken 5 teeth from bruxism and clenching until I bought the sports mouth guard, cost me $5 but I've heard of cheaper ones. Mine is a clear silicone youth size mouth guard, you put in in boiling water for 12 to 13 seconds, take it out, shake the excess hot water off and put in in your mouth to form to your teeth. Easy, peasy and cheap...certainly cheaper than my dentist bill to fix my broken teeth and to pull 2 out, they were broken to bad to fix.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:09 pm

Everyone, thank you. I like hearing more than one possible solution to every problem. So, this is great. I will start with simple and cheap, and work my way up to complex and expensive, if needed.

VikingGnome, how badly was the TMJ affected? Was surgery required? The reason I ask is because I'm already having issues with that without even using any sort of mouth guard. I'm thinking that the lower portion of my Quattro FX full faced mask is lined up below my lower lip, and with the lower teeth, and that as I sleep I have a natural tendency to push against it, or if I sleep on my side or belly that my jaw is pushed one direction (depending on the direction my head is rotated).

Nanwilson, that is unfortunate about the teeth. Did you use the mouth piece that covers only the upper teeth, or the one covering the lower teeth, as well. My problem is with my lower teeth. Also, did it affect sleep quality, and/or AHI? How well did it stay in place at night?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:25 pm

[
Nanwilson, that is unfortunate about the teeth. Did you use the mouth piece that covers only the upper teeth, or the one covering the lower teeth, as well. My problem is with my lower teeth. Also, did it affect sleep quality, and/or AHI? How well did it stay in place at night?[/quote]

I use mine for the uppers, but you can mold it for either up or lower. I found it did not affect sleep quality nor ahi. Once you have molded it to your teeth with the boiling water it stays in place all night, if it starts to get loose, you just re-do the boiling water bath and re-form. My ahi is never over 0.3, frequently 0.0. Others have found with the mouth guard they can then use a nasal or pillows mask....bonus!
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:46 pm

Guest wrote: VikingGnome, how badly was the TMJ affected? Was surgery required?
I had pre-existing TMJ and had orthodontic braces for 4 years decades ago to try to fix it. An oral surgeon suggested maxillary advancement to try to move my upper jaw out. I declined.

So I still have TMJ issues and they can flare up with stress and a number of other things. In fact, I clench my jaw when awake. Now that I've been on CPAP for 12 years, I press my tongue against my upper palate all the time which further strains the muscles of jaw.

I think the main reason the soft splint didn't work for me is that it opened the space between upper and lower teeth to an unnatural position and I kept trying to get my mouth totally closed while asleep.

If I really need to relax my jaw during the day, I wear NOSE PLUGS (like for swimming) so I have to breathe out of my mouth and automatically stops the clenching. Only at HOME and never when sleeping with CPAP.

soundersfootballclub

Post by soundersfootballclub » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:10 pm

I've been wearing a mouth guard for many years. But recently i stopped wearing it since i noticed my mask, the Liberty Mirage hybrid, doesn't really allow me to keep my teeth together anyway because of the design. on the downside i am getting dry mouth on and off from using it.

Kaylis

Post by Kaylis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:51 pm

My dentist told me that the bite plates that cover all your upper teeth actually increase the pressure on your TMJ and the amount of grinding. He made me a bite piece that only covered my front two teeth (and a bit more on each side). The first few days my jaw hurt like crazy, but afterward I was more comfortable than I'd been in years. When that one finally broke I used one of the boil to fit kits from the drug store and recreated it as best as possible by cutting and shaping it (I had lost my insurance). It works also.

davidm

Post by davidm » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:41 am

I also suffer from the same thing. I'm new to xPAP so I am not sure if it's affected my AHI numbers. What I have done and have good experience with was buying a custom dental appliance made from a lab. I purchased this via ebay at a substantial discount compared to what the dentist wanted.
I have no affiliation with this seller and don't know what quality work they do so caveat emptor. There are different qualities of guards. I personally chose a thicker one. If I recall it was the 3mm one. It's still less bulky and sturdier than anything store bought.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PROFESSIONAL-CU ... 999wt_1163

I was able to purchase a similar set of 2 guards, 2 whitening trays and some bleaching solution for many years ago. the first mouth guard lasted about 3 years before i wore it out. I've just now started using the 2nd one.
The dentist wanted $400 for a single guard.

With one of these 'kits' you should keep in mind 1) you are the one responsible for making a mold of your mouth. if you make any mistakes you'll have to buy more materials to redo. There's not much room for error 2) there's a few week waiting period from start to finish. You have to buy the kit, receive it, make your mold, send it off, wait for it to be made and then shipped back to you.

To answer your questions.
I have never swallowed any of my mouth guards.
I'm new to xPAP, I don't know if it affects my numbers.
In my case it did help. I'd already cracked one tooth, had a few others that were damaged. using a guard has stopped further damage. I do still find myself grinding, clenching, or otherwise putting tension on my jaws. The guard did not stop me from still doing it but only stopped me from damaging more.

RocketGirl

Post by RocketGirl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:16 am

I've worn a bite guard at night for over twenty years. Mine is from the dentist, rigid, and it doesn't cover all my upper teeth - the key bit is a raised nubbin on the front, that keeps me from closing my jaws all the way. That nubbin wears down over time and the dentist just builds it back up for me, so I've kept the same guard for all those years.

I tried a soft boil and bite guard before that, and it did not give me any relief (made things worse, in fact). In figuring out what will work for you I think it probably matters a lot whether you clench, or grind. I clench, so I would clench right into the soft guard and in not too much time I'd bite right through it, whereas the rigid guard won't allow me to clench at all. A soft guard might work just fine for someone who grinds more than clenches.