Is my constant PR. 20 making me hypertensive?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Matty332

Is my constant PR. 20 making me hypertensive?

Post by Matty332 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:14 pm

Gday,

I recall someone telling me on here that they had never seen anyone on this forum on constant pressure 20. I also recall reading a post about pressure in the lung raising blood pressure temporarily. Well about a month ago I saw a cardiologist in the late afternoon and he did a stress test on me, it was negative but a LV strain pattern was detected. The cardiologist said that it was from untreated sleep apnea from before my CPAP, he said I had normal blood pressure (took it at about 4pm). My GP which I usually see in the morning often detects high blood pressure. She says the strain pattern the cardiologist detected was from untreated hypertension she believes and not the OSA (I only had it for 2 years before treatment).

She said she is not going to put me on blood pressure pills yet until she knows for sure because sometimes she detects normal blood pressure (I think in the afternoons when I go there). So I couldn't get an automatic Blood pressure machine here to fit my arm (it is about 47-50cm around the bicep). I could only get one off ebay from the USA - awesome machine and the cuff accommodates - 40-60cm. So it arrived 4 days ago and I use it once in the morning, at lunch and at night.

Here is the pattern I have found, in the morning 150/99. Lunch time 140/90, evening/afternoon 124/80.

It has occurred to me that the PR 20 may be raising my blood pressure?? That is the only pressure that almost eliminates my apneas. I went from AHI 121ish to 0.9 every morning now.

Could this be that case?? Should I go back to the sleep doc and just DEMAND to get a Bipap? Will this lower blood pressure because it is not constant pr 20?

Pugsy

Re: Is my constant PR. 20 making me hypertensive?

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I was told that it is normal to have a higher blood pressure in the morning anyway...regardless of OSA or cpap use.
Don't remember the why though. There was a specific reason and it did make sense but I have forgotten what it was once I realized that my BP was borderline needing meds in the AM only and the rest of the time normal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.