OSA and mental illness, anyone else? Lets exchange tips!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
The Choker

Re: OSA and mental illness, anyone else? Lets exchange tips!

Post by The Choker » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:01 am

Teresa55 wrote: I'm continuosly trying to find answers. Now if anyone reading this feels bad let me add some of my known conditions, depression,sleep apnea, diabetes,high cholest. high blood pres., hiatal hernia,diverticulitis, acid reflux, emphsema,asthma,smoker, and personally I think they ALL play a part on each other. So.... you are never alone. P.S. Truly, I do feel extremely blessed though.

With all that, may I ask what is it that makes you feel blessed?

I guess just knowing that God gave us a life and promises much more is sufficient?

How do you feel about this?
T.C.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:13 pm

I just saw this in today's cpaptalk streaming news - http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 053112.php
Patients seen at the Cleveland Clinic Sleep Disorders Center who used positive airway pressure (PAP) to treat their obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) had improvements in their depressive symptoms, even if they followed the prescribed PAP regimen only partly, a new study reports.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:03 pm

OSA doesn't cause PTSD, Dissociative Identity Disorder, or Bipolar Illness. As much as you would like to blame OSA on everything, it really doesn't directly cause ANY OTHER condition. It may be correlated or show associations with other disease, but that is not etiology or causation. It is just too pie in the sky to think that if you can treat OSA, then all these other problems disappear. THEY DON"T.

The Choker

Post by The Choker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:31 am

VikingGnome wrote:OSA doesn't cause PTSD, Dissociative Identity Disorder, or Bipolar Illness. As much as you would like to blame OSA on everything, it really doesn't directly cause ANY OTHER condition. It may be correlated or show associations with other disease, but that is not etiology or causation. It is just too pie in the sky to think that if you can treat OSA, then all these other problems disappear. THEY DON"T.

"OSA doesn't cause ANY OTHER condition" "it is not causation"

You are trying to put the lie to 90% of the discussions about health problems in this forum. Won't work.
T.C.

notyorz

Post by notyorz » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:28 am

VikingGnome wrote:OSA doesn't cause PTSD, Dissociative Identity Disorder, or Bipolar Illness. As much as you would like to blame OSA on everything, it really doesn't directly cause ANY OTHER condition. It may be correlated or show associations with other disease, but that is not etiology or causation. It is just too pie in the sky to think that if you can treat OSA, then all these other problems disappear. THEY DON"T.
I believe the medical jury is still "out" on if OSA directly causes other conditions and they have not yet determined which came first (chicken or the egg; sleep apnea and psychiatric issues). It has been mentioned in the medical world that it would take years of tracking data about patients before diagnoses (plural) of either disorder and follow them through current diagnoses to validate which came first or what causes what.

Until the studies can prove what OSA does and does not cause, I will continue to learn from the viable information proving intereaction between OSA and many other conditions. That evidence is staggering and accurate. One disorder definitely affects the other.

Is it really pie in the sky to believe that if you can successfully control OSA, then other issues can be relieved, even to the point of the problem disappearing? I don't think so. I think it is possible in some cases, of course dependent upon severity of the psych disorder in the first place and what other measures have been taken to control OSA and the psych issue, separately.

Here's an interesting link to read, if you have the time. http://www.annals-general-psychiatry.com/content/4/1/13

Granted, it's a dated link (2005), but chock full of information about the correlation between depression and OSA. I also posted that particular article as it is easy to understand in layman's terms, which will help someone sort through the connections between OSA and depression. There are many other well written medical articles on the correlations between PTSD and BiPolar as well. I didn't think it was necessary to link each one.

Additional Comments: Severe OSA. AHI:56 & O2:72%. Longest Apnea: 77 secs. Avg: 39 secs. 1st Study: 5/3/12. Titration: 5/17/12. Therapy: 5/24/12. Pressure 10/17

Matty332

Post by Matty332 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm

I just found this thread again and there is alot for me to read through, thanks for the replies!