Quantcast

Bookmark and Share
General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LoQ

Re: Where A CPAP Newbie Should Start

Postby LoQ on Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:12 pm

mikey1b4 wrote:Here is today's stupid question:

Can I buy a used CPAP on eBay or Craigslist and set it up myself?

Reason: I don't have $900 for the sleep study, but am pretty sure I
have sleep apnea.

My main concern would be the setting, but could I not start on a low setting and experiment?

I know the thread title makes it seem like this is the place for you to start posting, but it is not. Start a new thread.

In answer to your question, yes you can do that.

Billy6

Postby Billy6 on Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:14 am

I got tired just reading that first post. I prefer the easy way--Do what the physician says "Put it on at night and take it off in the morning" and I'll see you next July

yuriart10

Postby yuriart10 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:36 am

Jules... love that first link you posted! Thanks for sharing.

cvstan

Postby cvstan on Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:17 am

I now have a Philips BiPAP machine (last night was the second night with it). My mindset is still that this is a medical equipment conspiracy to get insurance companies to pay for expensive gadgets by inventing a disease that needs to be fixed with something that needs to be financed for the rest of your life. The respiratory therapist warned me the the CPAP company would be calling me periodically to try to sell me supplies. There is an SD card keeping track of my usage so the insurance company can decide if they want to pay for it. I have been constantly checking the therapy hours to see if I am "in compliance". This is annoying.
On the other hand, my sleep is really messed up and I promised my GP I would give it a fair shake!
Main problem is I am a mouth breather who found the full face mask painful. I am always congested so nose breathing is marginal. I am using the nasal pillow type right now and after 3-4 hours it feels painfully dry or the effort to breath keeps me awake. I will keep trying!

Oregon Gal

Postby Oregon Gal on Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

Looking forward to delving into all the info here! I have just finished one month of successful use of my CPAP, after August diagnosis of severe OSA with score of 74. The first equipment provider was just awful, and after 6 weeks I "fired" them and had my presc switched to someone who said a mask should be comfortable and not leak. Now making fleece covers for the cheek straps to eliminate marks, and starting to feel more rested.

[email protected]

Postby [email protected] on Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Hello Everyone,

I have been using the pillows for the last 5 years. I tried all the masks and returned to the pillows.
A thought, I use the machine 6 to 7 hours nightly, I have not woken-up due to breathing problems.
I use Advair in the morning and at night before bedtime. I have set the humidifier on 1 and
I do not have dry nostrils when I wake up. I wake up after 6/7 hours of uninterrupted sleep
and I know I have slept but HAVE NOT RESTED. I do not smoke nor drink. I quit smoking
March 1999 (also had a 5 way heart bypass at this time). I have moderate psoriasis, which
I have had for 53 years. I have mild depression. Last but not least, I am overweight.
I am 71 (have most of my teeth and I wear a hgearing aid).

As Snoopy says "old age is not for sissies"

Bless you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Bob Bourne

geoman

Postby geoman on Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I am a newbie. i am very pleased with the energy that i have received from using the cpap for only 3 days!

I have a question regarding my eyes. My eyes have felt irritated almost like i have an allergy. I am using a
full face mask and i made sure that my mask is tight so that air is not leaking into my eyes. i dont have
any allergies right now so I dont understand? Any explanations and solutions to irritated eyes?

Thanks so much, George

BusyLyn

Postby BusyLyn on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:03 pm

HI George, and welcome to cpaptalk!

This really isn't a topic where your question would be answered. The people here at cpaptalk are very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful, so I suggest that you click on the 'Post a New Topic' button and post your question there. You're bound to get a warm welcome and some good suggestions for getting adjusted to cpap.

Lyn

Additional Comments: Diagnosed 10/2010, Therapy started 10/28/2010, Pressure setting: 13
"That which doesn't kill us makes us stronger." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

BrettAnd

Postby BrettAnd on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 pm

I'm just past my first year, this is what I've learned. Knowledge is power. Being informed and assertive will save you money and time in the future. That being said, lets start on some time critical options. Many states have a contractual back out clause. As an example, Wisconsin, if I recall correctly, is three days. That means if I buy, sell, or otherwise agree to any contract, implied or written, I have three days to cancel null and void that contract.
Manufacturer return policies gain you a extra back out. Many DME's use ResMed who have a thirty day policy. If you don't like your mask or machine, give it back, no charge. The DME knows that, the insurance ppl know that.
Is your DME a RT? They did their homework to get there and I would rather buy from them. Just my opinion, sosume. Get copies of your Doctors prescription!! I may add that a copy in DOC and PDF will also save you time and effort in the future. Most local print shops will do that for a couple of bucks, do it yourself if you know how.
That prescription, in hand, will allow you, by law, to walk in, or online, purchase whatever you like, where ever you like, within the realm of that prescription.
Read the fine print!! If you purchase items accross state or country lines the laws change, be aware of that. Talk to your Doctor after you framiurize with the products!! Many Doctors will allow you to get a better machine if they see you are knowegable and interested. Never settle for what they give you if you can get something better!! Again, just my observation. Dont assume the Doctors or the DME's are aware of what is out there to buy. Do your homework, familurise with the market products and ask for the better machines. You may need it in the future.

crossjohn98

Postby crossjohn98 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:34 am

I'm just past my first year, this is what I've learned. Knowledge is power.

It is the same as without knowledge you don't have a power.

Lizistired

Postby Lizistired on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:10 am

Where to start? If you are here reading and doing your homework, you are there.
Additionally I would say,
---When you schedule the appointment for your titration, asks if you can get a copy of the initial sleep study. It will be the Dr's report and plenty of info for you at that point.
---When the sleep clinic calls you and asks where to fax your prescription....
Tell them that you will pick it up. It will include both sleep studies and your script.
--- Pick it up and go to your local library and make 2 copies of the whole thing. You keep the original and a copy to scribble on... because you will.
Hand carry the other copy to shop for a DME. They don't need the original, they would have taken a fax.
You can do this over the phone but having the script is like holding the checkbook.
Ask them what they can do for you, or tell them what you want...
When they say... "But your prescription only says....." You say, who do I need to call, my Ins company or the sleep doc? Just be prepared to wait if that's what it takes. I doubt that it will, or you may have another DME in line to want your business..

I tried to use 2 local DME's. One tried to snow me and the other was talking about scheduling appointments, ordering equipment, 2 weeks... bla bla bla. I went into an Apria office that was most convenient for me, and they were the most knowledgeable and helpful and had me on the machine I wanted in 3 days. Keep in mind that everybody in business, is in it to make money. Corporate drives their train. They have jobs. I'm glad I have a national DME in case I had issues while traveling. It's a personal thing. But you don't have to pick one before you get your script in your hand.

Additional Comments: Swift FX sometimes, CMS-50F, Cervical collar sometimes, White noise, Zeo... I'm not well, but I'm better.

Pogiko

Postby Pogiko on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:20 am

I got a new CPAP and this one tells me every morning how long time I used it last night and the AHI. But I don't understand the numbers. Last night it was used for 5.6 hours and AHI=0.3. How is it possible to get an AHI of 0.3?

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Let's see now... If you had 2 machine scored apneas in 5.6 hours, and the machine rounds things off, you would end up with an average of 0.3 per hour.

SpO2 96+% and holding...

Pogiko

Postby Pogiko on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:14 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Let's see now... If you had 2 machine scored apneas in 5.6 hours, and the machine rounds things off, you would end up with an average of 0.3 per hour.

2/5.6 = 0.4 if you round it off and 1/5.6 = 0.2 so 0.3 should be an impossible value.

HoseCrusher

Postby HoseCrusher on Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Actually 2/5.6 = 0.3571428. By "rounding" in this case they simply dropped the additional decimal places.

SpO2 96+% and holding...

PreviousNext

Return to CPAP and Sleep Apnea (CLICK HERE TO READ POSTS)